Poll... How is your Stromer holding up?

How reliable is your Stromer?

• Horrible.. Is this the Fiat of Electric Bikes?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You guys are making me wonder about buying a stromer st1 I want one but now I'm not sure this is 2015 do they have most of the bugs you are talking about fixed and is the company going to be here in the future. I am a big strong guy and can push bike parts to the braking point and do try to ride with finesse but when the adrenilin kicks in look out parts. Is this really the bike for me

You guys are making me wonder about buying a stromer st1 I want one but now I'm not sure this is 2015 do they have most of the bugs you are talking about fixed and is the company going to be here in the future. I am a big strong guy and can push bike parts to the braking point and do try to ride with finesse but when the adrenilin kicks in look out parts. Is this really the bike for me

I think if you read through the Stromer thread, should see most people have had very few problems with their ST1. Ask Lenny if he has any deals.

Stromer ST1s are well built bikes. It can handle light trail use but if you're looking to for hard off-roading, I would suggest you Haibike FS Rx or the Xduro AMT Pro which is really class of it's own.
The company will be here for sure. They are bringing in a very accomplished for the CEO post.

Last edited:
The only two problems that I had with the Stromer was it show 10% on charge. That just went way on its own. The second issue it occasionally get stuck in recup 2 when start off on the bike. Other wise it's been a great bike.

Hi, did you ever have a Stromer Sport? My bike's motor just died and I'm trying to figure out my options. Do you know how much a new motor costs and where I could get one?

on my current bike ,

I am waiting on a motor, front suspension(leaks air wont hold pressure) and rear rack/fender for mine(welds broke). The rear brake went completely (leaked). The lights and city kit have been a PIA rubbing/loose. Wires in the battery box that messed up the door/lock, lock had to be replaced.Brakes are noisy.When the chain gets slightly dirty seems like the both bikes become jerky w/interaction of torque sensor(that is how it feels at least).The elastic thingys that are by the motor disintegrate, rip , move, need replacing.

On my wife's current bike (or called "my spare")

The lights and city kit have been a PIA rubbing/loose.about 3 times now and once was the last time used, just has no power maybe 10 mph is Power , disconnect/reconnect the LCD and move the wires around by the motor and turn back on seem to work. have not brought up this issue yet. When the chain gets slightly dirty seems like the both bikes become jerky w/interaction of torque sensor(that is how it feels at least) , have to keep the chains cleaner than i would like cuz takes too much time. The elastic thingys that are by the motor disintegrate, rip , move, need replacing.

The originals were really, really bad. These new ones have been fixed at least. They couldn't fix our old bikes and gave us credit for Elites after a few years. Got them late last year and paid the difference to upgrade to front suspension, came w/more speed (not my fault lol)

Currently my bike doesn't like to go slow or on-off the torque sensor , too much effort to pedal until it kicks in then it on /off at slow speed. if you go mostly full out you wouldn't notice this. it is like there is something between the sensor and the motor, once going ok. Do you remember the old toy clickers? if you pushed slowly nothing until it finally clicks, that is how i feels but I believe it is the motor. Also my bike run 1-4mph slower than the wife's , always can pass me on up hills. My bike has a surge when you use the 12mph setting too and that can be duplicated, bike shop is w/me on this.

Even w/the issues my bike runs ok. when I go,I still take my 3 batteries, run on "power" most of the time,pass the lycras(and smile) . 3 batteries will last almost 4 hours for me , legs cramp by then usually anyway. hope to break 100miles some day soon. In tour/power mode hope to get 25miles a battery, not quite cuz I tell myself to leave it to tour but I dont lol

the speed difference and surging are a little tough to feel but after a few thousand miles i know it is there. I ride both bikes i can tell the difference in speed and hill pulling. Stromer told Bike shop you cant compare 2 different bikes but if you own 2 how can you not???

Yes I had a sport, 2 of them , eventually Stromer gave me 2 st1 to replace them after 3 yrs of aggravation. My wife's ST1 has had issues w/her brakes that I worked directly w/Magura to resolve only other issue has been the fenders rubbing, it has been a very good bike . My st1 had issues and I traded it in on ST2. You can purchase a motor to replace your broken unit. I would chat w/the Stromer USA +1 800 819 4262 . I would have the closest Stromer dealer do the work and if none close enough to be local call Lenny's shop for help (and possible trade in). Somehow the number $500-700 comes to mind and I don't know if that is the wheel complete or if someone will have to lace the motor to the wheel. I don't remember where I saw a price list, at the dealer or on line.

What defines "motor died"? Not saying it isn't but many things will seem like a dead motor. But that being said the sport had tendency to overheat and die

New guy here.... Just purchased a new (old stock?) 2012 sport about 2 weeks ago.. I guess I got lucky , Mine is very quiet there is no additional noise.. Brakes are even quiet... I was so very impressed with the overall feel of the bike and how finely tuned the PAS mode operates , that I went ahead and bought another one for my wife...
I couldn't be happier...
Embarrassingly, I am a guy that usually gets "buyers remorse" with any item over $100 - Not with this bike-
I am just a casual rider (not a commuter) maybe a few miles a day.. average speed 12 to 15 miles an hour, I am very easy on it.. Just enjoying the scenery..
I have no desire to tear it (or myself) up .....

Be Safe, and thanks for the good forum.

Last edited:
ST2 March 2015 3900 miles
Rides and shifts like brand new I pay 200 a year for service plan 1 big tune-up, unlimited small tune ups discount on all parts and such.
Just had major tune up derailleur in ultrasonic cleaner and brakes bleed
1 new shifting Cable (rear) 10$ Tune up
1 brake bleed (rear) Tune-up
1 Set of pads (rear) 40$ at 1500 miles
1 New Rear tire this week still could go 1000 more miles but it very wet here 50$
1 Stainless steel chain and 11 tooth gear 110$ at 1500 miles Still Good
Broken weld on rack- warrantee replaced it
Re Dish Rear wheel at 1000 miles still great -warrantee adjustment
I brake sensor Cable -warrantee replaced it
Battery door gasket -warrantee replaced it small imperfection.

Stromer ST1 Elite, purchased Jun 2013.
Motor failed at 2400 miles; warranty was only for two years apparently.
Cost to replace is $1500 (motor + shipping - 44% of the original bike purchase price) and doesn't include installation.
Really disappointed with Stromer.

@J.C. Sorry to hear that.. I have the same bike with 3500 miles and have had really no problems other than battery capacity is falling off faster than I'd like.. lost 25% in 2 years.

That motor replacement cost seems wildy high, but I've haven't gone to a dealer yet for ebike work.

What will you do with the bike?

@JoePah - thanks, yeah I'm really bummed about it as prior to this I had ZERO issues except for noticing, like you, that my battery was not quite putting out the oomph it used to, but that's to be expected. The motor cost is what you'll find on any of the online dealer websites - http://www.nycewheels.com. Doesn't seem to be much room for savings there.

At this point, I honestly have no idea what I'll do with the bike. If I refurbished it by buying a new motor plus new battery, I'm looking at over $2100 BEFORE installation. I just don't find that worthwhile when a brand new bike can be had for for $1k more. Plus I doubt I would be able to command more than $2000 if I decided to sell it immediately after fixing it up.

I've contacted Stromer USA to let them know I'm pretty displeased with a major component failure so shortly after the warranty expired, but beyond that there's not much I can do. I may try to trade it in to a dealer who would be better suited to refurbishing it at invoice cost for motor and battery and then reselling it. Will keep you updated.

Also - one of the reviews that I read that sold me on this bike from Electricbike.com quotes a 10 year frame and 3 year component warranty (https://www.electricbike.com/stromer-st1-2013/). According to the Stromer Rep I contacted, the ST1 only carries a three-year warranty for the frame and a two-year warranty for the rest of the bike.

Obviously Electric Bike could have gotten their info wrong, but those are some pretty big differences from what Stromer now quotes...

@J.C. If I were you I'd call Crazy Lenny in Wisconsin and ask him for options.. He sells a lot of bikes and I'd bet he either has a used motor, or can get you a better deal on a new motor or demo bike.

Last edited:
Hi, I was wondering how your battery is holding up, since it is about 3 years old.. That is the only disappointment in my bike (same year and model as yours); it lost around 15% range after a year.
Sorry it's taken me some time to respond; I could have sworn that I responded when I first read your post months ago. So, the battery is still holding its charge pretty well, but it's always in the back of my mind that it's going to eventually wear down, as that's going to cost several hundred $ to replace. I haven't noticed any loss of charge/less miles on a charge. Of course, when it's windy outside I notice that the charge decreases faster than usual, but that's going to happen. I probably have 4,000 miles on it now, if not more. Great bike so far.

The shop where I bought the bike and take for service mentioned that the 2012 Stromer models had issues with their motors, so hopefully this means that the company worked out the issue on later models.

Sorry it's taken me some time to respond; I could have sworn that I responded when I first read your post months ago. So, the battery is still holding its charge pretty well, but it's always in the back of my mind that it's going to eventually wear down, as that's going to cost several hundred $ to replace. I haven't noticed any loss of charge/less miles on a charge. Of course, when it's windy outside I notice that the charge decreases faster than usual, but that's going to happen. I probably have 4,000 miles on it now, if not more. Great bike so far.

The shop where I bought the bike and take for service mentioned that the 2012 Stromer models had issues with their motors, so hopefully this means that the company worked out the issue on later models.
My first Stromer was a 2012 Elite and I had to have the motor replaced 4xs in 4 years.The last one went 3 weeks ago and Stromer did admit to the 2012 motor problems and sent me a new bike completely with the new motor. What an unbelievable difference. However, now the new bike has an issue. The console shows a 100% battery charge constantly - it never changes, it's stuck there when I know it's definitely not charged 100%

Yeah, I've read about the new bikes and the increased speeds that come with them; they sound great! As far as your console issue, with all of these electronics, I always figure that something is bound to go wrong, unfortunately. I guess in your situation it could be worse? When I'm on my rides the thought usually crosses my mind that I could run into a computer/motor issue on the trail and be stuck having to call for a ride. I suppose when my 2012 finally conks out (hopefully for not some time), I'd definitely look into getting a new Stromer or another make similar to it. I know that Trek makes an e-bike that also houses the battery in the downtube, but the Trek, at least as of last year, didn't have the distance of the Stromer. Anyway, I'm glad to hear that Stromer admitted to the issue with you of the 2012 model and gave you a new bike; that's great PR on their part.

Great bike, love it.
Rear gear change clunky at times, even with oiling and adjusting.
No other issues but its low mileage yet (500 miles). Just use it for commuting locally in Chapel Hill, NC, a surprisingly hilly little town.
Lost my spare battery compartment key and Stromer says I need to replace the whole lock set to get two keys again (that seems crazy). Luckily my wife spare also fits mine (suggests that the key isn't that secure, since its a different shaped key).

Back