Please help me choose a folding bike

e92mystic

Please help me choose a folding ebike. want something 1500 or less. I would prefer a class 1, but I won’t say no to something with throttle. I want something reliable, so preferably something from an established company that I can reach out too if anything goes wrong but I do have a local bike shop here too. I really am just gonna be riding around the neighborhood, and I would like to take it to paved trails and ride it there. Don’t plan on off roading Or anything. Any suggestions?

i want something where pas 1 doesnt suddenly shoot me to 10 mph. I’m no speed demon. Also I’m about 6’0 220.

Last edited:
I liked Court’s review of the e-Joe Epic 350 https://electricbikereview.com/e-joe/swan-350/
It’s a Class 2 so it has a throttle and pedal assist. The nearest dealer to you looks to be in Mesa, AZ, but you can order direct from the website. The company is based in San Diego and has been around for about 10 years. The bike’s Bafang geared hub motor is widely available.

Last edited:
I'm gonna say it even if I don't own one... Lectric XP.

And it's on sale for $899 right now.

I read this forum daily, and it seems like in the value range Lectric has quite a few owners and very good after sale support.

Take a look at the EBR review of the Best Folding Ebikes of 2020. ;)

Best Folding Electric Bikes of 2020

Here are our top picks for the best folding electric bikes of 2020. These top five ebikes represent the best combination of features and value right now, but you can see all 117 of our detailed folding ebike reviews listed by date here. Reviewing electric bikes is our primary focus, EBR has the industry’s most complete and objective reviews. Since 2012, we’ve helped millions of people find and choose the best ebike for their needs and budget. Let’s go!

Table of Contents:

Things to Consider:
  • Intended Use. There are many variations of folding electric bikes to choose from… and each sub-category has its own strengths and weaknesses. The solution is to step back and think about your use cases. Do you need the lightest and most compact, even if it means less comfort? Would you prioritize traction and off-road stability, even if it meant adding weight and size? What about fenders and lights for commuting? I know people who never fold these ebike, but chose them only for their compact size and approachability (low stand-over height). Think about your situation, as you consider these top picks, and scan through our entire library of folding ebike reviews to really get it right.
  • Battery. Cell quality is important. How far will it take you and last? How expensive is a replacement? Battery location also impacts performance. Those located near the rear wheel are easier to remove but shift weight towards the back. Having it on the main frame spreads weight evenly, improving handling, but makes attachment more difficult. Easy attachment is nice when you remove the battery for lifting the bike or to store and charge the battery separately.
  • Size and Weight. How small does it collapse when it’s folded? Will it fit into your space? How heavy is it to lift? Will you be able to load or carry it? Can it be rolled when folded? Can the bike handle your weight and cargo?
  • Component Quality. When portability it the primary focus, the quality of parts may be neglected. Make sure the core components can deliver the performance you need. is the the drivetrain, battery pack, shift mechanism, and display protected when the bike is folded?

Take a look at the EBR review of the Best Folding Ebikes of 2020. ;)

Best Folding Electric Bikes of 2020

Here are our top picks for the best folding electric bikes of 2020. These top five ebikes represent the best combination of features and value right now, but you can see all 117 of our detailed folding ebike reviews listed by date here. Reviewing electric bikes is our primary focus, EBR has the industry’s most complete and objective reviews. Since 2012, we’ve helped millions of people find and choose the best ebike for their needs and budget. Let’s go!

Table of Contents:

Things to Consider:
  • Intended Use. There are many variations of folding electric bikes to choose from… and each sub-category has its own strengths and weaknesses. The solution is to step back and think about your use cases. Do you need the lightest and most compact, even if it means less comfort? Would you prioritize traction and off-road stability, even if it meant adding weight and size? What about fenders and lights for commuting? I know people who never fold these ebike, but chose them only for their compact size and approachability (low stand-over height). Think about your situation, as you consider these top picks, and scan through our entire library of folding ebike reviews to really get it right.
  • Battery. Cell quality is important. How far will it take you and last? How expensive is a replacement? Battery location also impacts performance. Those located near the rear wheel are easier to remove but shift weight towards the back. Having it on the main frame spreads weight evenly, improving handling, but makes attachment more difficult. Easy attachment is nice when you remove the battery for lifting the bike or to store and charge the battery separately.
  • Size and Weight. How small does it collapse when it’s folded? Will it fit into your space? How heavy is it to lift? Will you be able to load or carry it? Can it be rolled when folded? Can the bike handle your weight and cargo?
  • Component Quality. When portability it the primary focus, the quality of parts may be neglected. Make sure the core components can deliver the performance you need. is the the drivetrain, battery pack, shift mechanism, and display protected when the bike is folded?

Thanks! I was actually torn between the Gocycle GS or the Lectric XP. Between those two what would you choose?

The GoCycle GS is a Class 2 and lightweight (40lb), vs the Lectric XP is a Class 3 and heavier (62lb). The GoCycle GX is the model you want from the GoCycle range if you want a bike that folds in half in the middle.

Last edited:
The GoCycle GS is a Class 2 and lightweight (40lb), vs the Lectric XP is a Class 3 and heavier (62lb). The GoCycle GX is the model you want from the GoCycle range if you want a bike that folds in half in the middle.

Yeah but the price is out of my range sadly. I saw some.GSs on sale, but i think i may be too heavy for it.

Maybe look at a Tern Vektron, those have sturdy frames and are comfortable for a folding bike. The adjustable stem is great. The D7i and D8 models should be under $2,200, a grand less than the GoCycle’s

Last edited:
The company rep looks to be a tall, heavy guy. I'm a short heavy guy 200) and I ride light weight folders. Maybe a fat tire bike if you're really big, but you aren't carrying those onto public transport, not that I ever do that,

The company rep looks to be a tall, heavy guy. I'm a short heavy guy 200) and I ride light weight folders. Maybe a fat tire bike if you're really big, but you aren't carrying those onto public transport, not that I ever do that,

As an Lectric XP owner I am obviously biased, but 899 for the XP vs 1299 for the Dolphin is a no brainer. I still believe value pound for pound Lectric at 899 is one of the best deals you can get...

Back