Platinum Interceptor Throttle Issue

6zfshdb

Region
USA
City
Northeast Pennsylvania
I had a scary thing happen on the trail this week. I was 20 miles from my vehicle on a remote trail when the bike went full throttle all by itself! I was standing next to it getting ready to ride when the bike almost flipped over backward! Luckily, I was able to get a grip on the handlebar and grab a brake lever which shut off the motor. I then hit the power off button on the display.

It was an interesting ride back. After getting the bike going using the pedals, I found if I turned on the power, the runaway motor would get the bike up to speed. I then feathered the brake which shut the motor off. By alternating this process, I was able to get safely back to my vehicle.

With the bike on the work stand, I discovered I could replicate the problem by manipulating the throttle cable connector in the wiring harness. The bike is 15 months old with just under 2K miles and still under warranty. I'm waiting for advice from Pedego before I disassemble anything.

The bike could have been badly damaged and perhaps someone injured had I not been able to grab the handlebar when this happened. In the future, I'm going to make a habit of turning off the power when dismounting the bike.

Glad you and your bike are ok! There have been some issues with a few bikes. Contact your local dealer for a fix, or Pedego HQ if you don’t have someone local.

Wow, scary! … Sorry to hear about the trouble with your ebike and am glad you are OK and that the incident wasn't more serious. I am sure Pedego will come through for you with their warranty service. Hope it doesn't take too long to get it resolved. I bet in makes you glad you own 3 ebikes so you have a spare to use while you get it fixed.

Wow, scary! … Sorry to hear about the trouble with your ebike and am glad you are OK and that the incident wasn't more serious. I am sure Pedego will come through for you with their warranty service. Hope it doesn't take too long to get it resolved. I bet in makes you glad you own 3 ebikes so you have a spare to use while you get it fixed.

Very true. Having other identical bikes also gives me the ability to swap parts to diagnose a problem. I usually don't take anything apart though without first talking to Pedego.

Some internet research turned up similar throttle related problems linked to a defective cable connector. If that's the case, it should be a relatively simple fix.

Were you able to fix this problem? It looked like you were using your bike in your latest ride pictures.

Were you able to fix this problem? It looked like you were using your bike in your latest ride pictures.

The problem showed up during a more recent ride. Those pictures were actually taken a couple of weeks ago.

Pedego is sending a wiring repair kit which will replace the defective connector. I expect to get it Monday.

Problem solved!

As usual, Pedego tech support came through with diagnostics and the necessary repair parts.

The problem was first thought to be moisture in the throttle cable connector. Pedego sent a repair kit and a link to an instructional Youtube video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ty7klURkYN7LI7xMZ5g4uSi6Q-ceWSx4/view

Drying out the connector with the supplied heat gun per the video didn't solve the problem. The fault was an intermittent short in the throttle connector strain relief.

P1070559a.jpg

Pedego then sent a new throttle & cable assembly and the bike is back on the trail.

Pedego owners who use or transport their bikes in wet conditions should be aware of this:

Some Pedego bikes were shipped without the O-ring seal shown in the video. This may be the case in both the throttle and display connectors. This can allow moisture to enter the connector. Even though this was not the problem in my case, Pedego highly recommends installing the O-ring & shrink wrap anyway as a precaution.

This is the kit provided by Pedego:

P1070593.JPG

It consists of two 3/16" O-rings and two 6" pieces of 1/2' shrink wrap tubing. These parts can be obtained locally in stores like Lowes or Home Depot.

All three of my bikes were missing this O ring. I installed one on each bike but did not apply the shrink wrap. It would make it too difficult to remove for testing if future problems occur. I may install the shrink wrap at some point if I do get this moisture problem.

Back