Planned build

Looks like a good complete kit, I hope it provides what you want out of your ebike experience.
Taking just a quick look I see that there is an option of motor cut off brake levers or stick on inhibitors. If you have hydraulic brakes or even mechanical disc brakes but want to keep your stock levers the stick on inhibitors are the ones to consider requesting. Since you don't have experience working on bikes and there is no reason to hurry their "less than 1 hour" installation is optimistic, especially if you have bike specific issues like interference from a cable guide on the bottom of the bottom bracket which could interfere and need modification. Otherwise it is a reasonable time estimate if you don't hit any installation snags, or at least it was for the Tongsheng mid drive.

You might already know all of this but a couple things that may (or may not) prove helpful:

Watch a video on bottom bracket cartridge removal, it is super simple and easy but sometimes people forget that the chainring side of the cartridge has left hand threads which means that you turn clockwise to remove it. The non chainring side is standard right hand threads which means turn counterclockwise to remove.
Also take a close look at the crank arm puller that you are using. My compact puller has a round piece screwed on the end which I think is for splined cartridges, for standard square taper that disc needs to be removed. Otherwise the arm puller will only be pushing against the recessed portion of the crank arm, not the cartridge axle part.
For encouragement here is a video done by some kids who look like they have zero experience and think they are greasing a sealed cartridge but still get the job done.

If you need to remove handlebar grips that are stuck tight on the bar spraying some brake cleaner between the bar and the grip after carefully inserting a thin screwdriver to create some space should make them easy to remove but still useable.

Not sure if this is applicable to the Bafang but when installing the Tongsheng on my Dahon Jack it hung up on a burr in the bottom bracket (where there is a tapped hole for a support when the bike is folded). Even though this hole is specific to the Jack I think this hanging up is fairly commonly reported, especially with aluminum bottom brackets. I used a half rounded file to remove the burr, careful to not damage the threads at the ends of the bottom bracket. Then the motor slid right in.

You won't need a chain breaker tool in order to remove your front derailleur if your stock chain has a master link but a chain breaker is always good to have around anyway.

Maybe those who have done a mid drive install, especially those with Bafang experience, have more or better tips that might be useful.
If you think you can install that kit in ONE hour, you should apply for the fastest ebike mechanic IN DA WORLD ! !

Or maybe you aren't as talented as you think you are. Consider keeping your advice to something you have experience with.

Last edited:
I had a Blix Vika+ 20" folding eBike as my first eBike. It is rear hub drive and I put 800 miles on it in the first year. But I realize that I mostly "shadow" pedaled and rode it at PAS 5 (top speed) and never used the gears.

When I bought my kit I wanted to continue that method of riding so I got a rear drive hub. After riding 300 miles around Tucson (on extended vacation) I found myself riding in PAS 3 out of 5 and using the gears much more. I liked it. A lot. So, I think a mid-drive might suit that style of riding better.

I still love my DIY bike rear hub drive and I may also sell my Blix Vika+ because of that. I've never ridden a mid-drive but I have a feeling my next eBike will be a mid-drive.

I could have finished the bike in a day. Really, it wasn't difficult. I was cautious and did a lot of checking on YouTube to be sure I didn't mess things up. Actually, I had mentally planned for a much longer build project - that sounded like fun. So, two days were really stretching it.

Fact is... I still tinker with things on the bike. It's fun. Yesterday, I removed the front derailleur. I tested riding the bike with the smaller front ring and knew I'd never use that thing again. The front shifter was kind of in the way on the handlebars so, yesterday I just removed all of that.

The first 100 miles on the bike I was always tweaking the placement of controls, too. Changed the grips and the saddle. I keep removing zip ties and tidying up the wiring, too.
I agree, tinkering is fun ! I think I have my ebike set up as good as I can get it. After months of searching for matching cable, higher amp controller, I figured out how to mod my 18a peak,(stated 22 a peak) to a 33 a peak so that I can get way more acceleration out of the under powered 1500 w motor.
Just a little more tinkering this spring to adjust the controller amp for smooth PAS power curve.
I'm getting 500 more watts of torque, so I wouldn't be surprised if I could pop a wheelie or two 🛠️🚲

68MM-73MM BBSxx series motors will fit a 73MM bottom bracket but you'll be limited to the primary lock ring, without the kit's secondary ring. You'll need longer screws and some washers. A stabilizer one good solution to keeping the motor in position.

Attachments

• A564D79E-7FDD-4AA4-A274-020127F54BA7_4_5005_c.jpeg
    A564D79E-7FDD-4AA4-A274-020127F54BA7_4_5005_c.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 180
68MM-73MM BBSxx series motors will fit a 73MM bottom bracket but you'll be limited to the primary lock ring, without the kit's secondary ring. You'll need longer screws and some washers. A stabilizer one good solution to keeping the motor in position.
Thanks! Looks like things I can get at Home Depot if I need to.

How did this build end up turning out? I happen to have ordered a Marlin 5 as well, which I plan to put a BBSHD kit on. Anything I should look out or prepare for?

How did this build end up turning out? I happen to have ordered a Marlin 5 as well, which I plan to put a BBSHD kit on. Anything I should look out or prepare for?
Best advice, Google “ Marlin 5 bbshd “ Often DIY mid drive fans post build threads. And share any trouble spots and issues. I did and you’re golden.

That's exactly how I ended up here :D. I did a bunch of research - loads of converted Marlins out there indeed. Thanks!

There's been a lot of hiccups, but the build ended up fine. I needed some spacers for the chainring to keep it from rubbing into the frame. I have both of these spacers on it:

I think that there are different spacers for the BBSHD than the BBS02, so make sure you get the right ones.

I got the Lekkie Bling Ring 42T chainring as well.

Make sure your rear derailleur is set up really well. Have a local bike shop check it out if necessary. I took a private bike maintenance lesson at a local bike shop with the ebike this past week, and once we nailed the rear derailleur setup it was so much better.

Back