Picking up new Como this week - what's my checklist?

Hi @danfa,
The first thing you should ask the LBS is whether they inflated the tyres on your Como. I'm deadly serious: that's a thing that might be forgotten.

A rear-view mirror is the most important accessory for me. I simply cannot ride without it. The rest of accessories can come later.

Bear in mind to do two things:
  1. Register your Como at the Specialized website.
  2. After having ridden for 100-150 miles (or within 6 months, whichever comes first), revisit the LBS for the "first time warranty service" (you pay for it). This visit has to be recorded/written into the warranty card.
Both actions are necessary for keeping the warranty valid.

Last edited:
I'm very excited to get getting a new Como 4.0 from my LBS. Anything I should be sure to check on when picking it up? Any important accessories worth adding?
It is my first e-bike!
Might be a good idea to have the LBS charge your battery and "pair" your phone to your bike for you. It's not hard, but it's not intuitive either. Then you can check battery health, and presets for boost levels etc.

I'm very excited to get getting a new Como 4.0 from my LBS. Anything I should be sure to check on when picking it up? Any important accessories worth adding?
It is my first e-bike!

Oh wow, can’t wait to hear your impressions. The most important question: what color did you get?!
Maybe a pic of your new ride?

It is my first e-bike!
I agree with Stefan about a rear view mirror. This one works very well for me:

Check out Ergon handlebar grips:
I'm now using the GP1, but thinking about switching to the GP3. Either one is an improvement over the original grips.

Bright flashing lights front and back are essential.

Have fun!

I agree with Stefan about a rear view mirror. This one works very well for me:

Check out Ergon handlebar grips:
I'm now using the GP1, but thinking about switching to the GP3. Either one is an improvement over the original grips.

Bright flashing lights front and back are essential.

Have fun!

Yes John, bright lights and a mirror, essential safety accessories.
Como already has lights and the rear facing Garmin will help with traffic.

Generalized stuff..

+1 on the Mirrycle mirror, it's good.

IMHO blinking lights are more noticeable than steady lights. They needn't be super bright.

Talk to the bike shop about what you need for a flat tire. I don't know how common they are on the Como, but I personally wouldn't want to go very far without knowing I can handle a flat.

Thanks for the tips. Added the mirror which came in handy for the five mile ride home. Loving it! Here it is posing in front of our new Kia EV6.
16128210-557F-4802-8866-BE8C658CE994.jpeg

A little tubeless juice inside the tubes couldn't hurt. It is self-healing with small punctures and does not add to measurable rotational weight. You might want to also add a back-up piezo, so when you roll the bike backwards it beeps at you like a garbage truck in reverse. It is highly important for those who know that a bike has gizmos that go beep or ping. That is where the added value is at. Ditching the nylon pedals also couldn't hurt.
1648255701041.jpeg

Added the mirror which came in handy for the five mile ride home.
A very good decision!

@danfa: I can only suggest rotating the mirror:
1648270062572.png

Doing so:
  • Protects the mirror against damage in case of crash
  • Makes the handlebars narrower
  • Still ensures an excellent view.
Of course, you can keep your mirror as you wish.

Congratulations on your e-bike (in the fasterestest colour!) :)

I am adding a reverse beeper to a bike now. It will sound like a forklift or garbage tuck when in reverse. Beep, Beep, Beep! The thing that goes Ping is what it is all about for data centered folks who are in to paying for useless gimmicks. Specialized has it nailed down for compromised autistics. I will update with photos tomorrow.

Here it is. I reconsidered the thing that goes beep. Sorry about my gloved index finger in the photos. If you squint you can see the wire between the battery and the motor. No visible connectors. No zip ties. Open source. No LBS ever needed. It rides like a lighter weight and more powerful Como.
1648407379708.jpeg

1648407514561.jpeg

Back