Petition to increase eBike speed to 20mph in the UK

Squaxor

If you agree with a speed increase feel free to sign the petition.
More info here...

If you agree with a speed increase feel free to sign the petition.
More info here...

I support your petition 100%... I don't think we Yanks are allowed to sign. 😉

Afraid my feelings on this go against the grain on comments so far. High speed ebikes already exist for those needing them and attract all the regulation hassle that goes with that higher speed. Please leave the limit at 15.5mph for regular eBikes so we can continue to peacefully go about our business as regular cyclists, use all infrastructure, chose to not wear a bone dome and keep the rear mud guard free of a stupid reg plate.
I see on the actual petition article linked to, that comment opinion there is divided. This is one comment from there that rings true to me...

“Absolute no, unless you're prepared to have number plates, insurance, MOT etc etc. An e-bike is just that a push bike with a bit of power assistance, not an electric moped. Keep it simple, keep it to reasonable power/top speed and they'll remain under the radar. Make them too fast and that's playing right into the hands of the Daily Mail "I pay may road tax" brigade.”

PS. And I am no remainer. Diverge when it benefits UK citizens. eBike added hassle is no benefit.

Last edited:
Mike, it is not to make e-bikes S-Pedelecs. It is only to raise the speed restriction limit to 32 km/h, which is not overly fast since any young boy can ride that fast on his traditional bike...

Personally, I think the 25kph motor cut-off law in the EU is ridiculous. 32kph makes much or sense for riding an ebike on the road.
Why would you need number plates, insurance, and difference helmets for an increase of only 7kph? That's double ridiculous.

The entire country of Canada, where I live, has a max motor speed of 32kph and we don't need insurance, a number plate, or a special helmet. Seems to work fine for us.

Mike, it is not to make e-bikes S-Pedelecs. It is only to raise the speed restriction limit to 32 km/h, which is not overly fast since any young boy can ride that fast on his traditional bike...
Stefan, hi. I do agree 20mph is not speed pedelec. But if all eBikes had the ability to accelerate quickly to 20mph I think they would not mix as easily with other unassisted bikes. They would stand out from the crowd, they would attract ire. Yes they would blend with the young 20mph speed merchants, but not with the gran and granddad or the mum biking with the kids to school.

I think it comes down to: do we want eBikes to be regarded as regular “Transport” bikes or as competitive bikes? I’ve had my fill of the population in the UK regarding bikes as purely sport only (there’s already an issue with speed on the new London bike infra, all the macho lycra speed freaks are putting off adoption by the general population).

It’s time for the UK to see bikes as a completely sensible and joyous means of transportation. Like the dutch regard cycling... “it’s just fast walking”.

Last edited:
Mike, my Vado is a S-Pedelec, registered and ensured. I ride it only on roads. When I bought an e-MTB restricted to 25 km/h I got infuriated with the restriction. See, there are trad cyclists just riding, say 21 km/h, and I want to overtake them. If it were a mech bike (and my legs were healthy), I would just speed up to thirty for several seconds and voila! done. But no. At 26.2 the limiter kicks in and I feel as if I banged a wall. So I mash the pedals, with a lot of effort get to 28 and overtake the slow cyclists on pedals only. On the road, it is dangerous! How comes the whole Canada can do it at 32 kph and we Europeans are so limited by bureaucrats? No doubt many people do everything possible to derestrict their 25 kph e-bikes, and there's no restriction anymore, potentially creating dangerous S-Pedelecs...

As it is now, the only reasonable use of the 25 kph e-bikes is off-road biking, since 25 kph in the forest is very much. Still, you reach 60 kph downhill on any bike!

You don't need to agree with me.

Mike, my Vado is a S-Pedelec, registered and ensured. I ride it only on roads. When I bought an e-MTB restricted to 25 km/h I got infuriated with the restriction. See, there are trad cyclists just riding, say 21 km/h, and I want to overtake them. If it were a mech bike (and my legs were healthy), I would just speed up to thirty for several seconds and voila! done. But no. At 26.2 the limiter kicks in and I feel as if I banged a wall. So I mash the pedals, with a lot of effort get to 28 and overtake the slow cyclists on pedals only. On the road, it is dangerous! How comes the whole Canada can do it at 32 kph and we Europeans are so limited by bureaucrats? No doubt many people do everything possible to derestrict their 25 kph e-bikes, and there no restriction anymore, potentially creating dangerous S-Pedelecs...

As it is now, the only reasonable use of the 25 kph e-bikes is off-road biking, since 25 kph in the forest is very much. Still, you reach 60 kph downhill on any bike!

You don't need to agree with me.
Cheers Stefan. Lets not necessarily agree, but be kind to each other. Good guy. 👍

I see Canada and the USA and Australia, and I see big wide open roads and speed speed speed. I look out the window in Britain and I see cluttered narrow, twisty, hilly roads, poor maintenance, awful fast drivers, pathetic bike infra. Canada and the US can have their speed, fine enjoy it guys. I’d prefer if the UK go more Dutch on this one.

Cheers Stefan. Lets not necessarily agree, but be kind to each other. Good guy. 👍

I see Canada and the USA and Australia, and I see big wide open roads and speed speed speed. I look out the window in Britain and I see cluttered narrow, twisty, hilly roads, poor maintenance, awful fast drivers, pathetic bike infra. Canada and the US can have their speed, fine enjoy it guys. I’d prefer if the UK go more Dutch on this one.
We got excellent cycling infrastructure from EU in Poland. Germany has that even better of course. Yet we suffer from a decision of some bureaucrats that are probably not in office anymore.

Netherlands and Denmark are different because there's simply too many riders in those countries. Nobody except of competitive cyclists ever wears a helmet in those countries and the current of riders moves majestically at omafiets speed. Come to Warsaw and see how fast people ride their mechanical bikes on the bike paths here...

Personally, I think the 25kph motor cut-off law in the EU is ridiculous. 32kph makes much or sense for riding an ebike on the road.
Why would you need number plates, insurance, and difference helmets for an increase of only 7kph? That's double ridiculous.

The entire country of Canada, where I live, has a max motor speed of 32kph and we don't need insurance, a number plate, or a special helmet. Seems to work fine for us.
Please remember that Canada is somewhat rational, the US and UK not so much.

We got excellent cycling infrastructure from EU in Poland. Germany has that even better of course. Yet we suffer from a decision of some bureaucrats that are probably not in office anymore.

Netherlands and Denmark are different because there's simply too many riders in those countries. Nobody except of competitive cyclists ever wears a helmet in those countries and the current of riders moves majestically at omafiets speed. Come to Warsaw and see how fast people ride their mechanical bikes on the bike paths here...
“The current of riders moves majestically at omafiets speed” Sounds like heaven to a Brit 🤣

I’m glad you got something excellent from the EU.

Back