Perception from other cyclists when on a moped style ebike?

BarronakaB

Hi, I live in the Boston area, and frequently ride my ebike and non-ebike on the major bike paths in the area. My current ebike looks like a regular bike. I'm now considering getting a new more moped style looking ebike (Juiced Scorpion or similar), I'll keep it around 20mph max on the bike paths, and well below that when its crowded, but don't want a ton of nasty looks or comments from people as I ride by since it won't look like a normal bike. Has anyone had experience with this? Is it just in my head and it will be fine? Or by making this move should I expect to stick to the roads from here on out. Any experience you can share would be helpful!

Last edited:
are you after a bike that you don't really peddle like a regular bike? if your worried about what people think then maybe its not the bike for you?

are you after a bike that you don't really peddle like a regular bike? if your worried about what people think then maybe its not the bike for you?
Great question. I plan on pedaling all the time. I’m more concerned with people feeling like it’s not a suitable bike for the path because it looks more like a non-pedal bike or moped.

Great question. I plan on pedaling all the time. I’m more concerned with people feeling like it’s not a suitable bike for the path because it looks more like a non-pedal bike or moped.
well those bikes are not really practical if you want to peddle like a regular bike. that seal just does not work well for that and your position and distance from the petals is never going to be optimal. plus they are really heavy so thats going to be against you too.

well those bikes are not really practical if you want to peddle like a regular bike. that seal just does not work well for that and your position and distance from the petals is never going to be optimal. plus they are really heavy so thats going to be against you too.
Thanks, good advice. I’m interested in the style more for payload capacity options, wider tires, and just something different and exciting. But point we’ll taken about the pedaling. I’m 5’6 and have read that’s not a bad height for those bikes compared to taller riders that sometimes need seat risers. But I haven’t had a chance to try one.

I’m interested in the style more for payload capacity options, wider tires, and just something different and exciting. But point we’ll taken about the pedaling. I’m 5’6 and have read that’s not a bad height for those bikes compared to taller riders that sometimes need seat risers.
My bicycle looking ebike will carry 80 lb on the rear, and would carry 40 lb more on the front if I had a basket mounted up there instead of the battery. The front basket doesn't steer. It was designed for short people like me, Down to 60". Unfortunately that frame was discontinued 2019. There are used ones out there which you could convert to electricity as I did. Yuba bodaboda.
I get passed by 500 times as many gas scooters as ebikes, most of which had the mufflers removed. I find the noise offensive. An ebike of any type would not be so noisy. I don't go over 10 mph when passing pedestrians on a walk.

Last edited:
My bicycle looking ebike will carry 80 lb on the rear, and would carry 40 lb more on the front if I had a basket mounted up there instead of the battery. The front basket doesn't steer. It was designed for short people like me, Down to 60". Unfortunately that frame was discontinued 2019. There are used ones out there which you could convert to electricity as I did. Yuba bodaboda.
I get passed by 500 times as many gas scooters as ebikes, most of which had the mufflers removed. I find the noise offensive. An ebike of any type would not be so noisy. I don't go over 10 mph when passing pedestrians on a walk.
Thanks, I’ll check that out.

Just my opinion, but I think a "moped style" ebike is a moped, not an ebike, and does not belong on multi user paths. I would definitely be giving you dirty looks, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be the only one doing so. You probably already know this type of vehicle belongs on the road, not on the paths, so if you buy one, plan on keeping it where it belongs, or else steel yourself to put up with the (justified, I believe) irritation of cyclists and pedestrians.

Thanks for the honest feedback. Also being a regular cyclist you are right, I do have mixed feelings about moped style e-bikes on the paths. It’s never bothered me to the point where I would react since their driving so far has been fine. But I had a feeling others may feel more strongly against it so this definitely helps answer my question.

Have you considered an e trike? My wife used to have one and it had a huge payload! No kick stand to worry about either, and that said I needed to keep a Velcro strap on the trike to use as a parking brake with one of the brake levers. I found the e trike very easy and practical. Our issue being in an RV full time was the footprint it required, as space here is a premium.

Thanks, I have not considered one. While cargo is one need, regular riding is another which I’d like to stick to two wheels for. My storage space is also a bit limited.

People are going to give approving or dirty or indifferent looks no matter where you go or what you ride. Hell, long time posters within this forum site get insulted over what was written to them and so, they get outraged, make a public spectacle of it and then, leave. It's unfortunate we live in a time where we can't be like a Duck and just let the rain drops roll right off the feathers. The last thing I want to concern my day about is what some schmoe, walking down the middle of our local riding path; thinks of what I am riding......the only opinion that counts is my own......

In my travels on bike or car, when I see these moped styled ebikes, the dominant thing that stands out are two things: the operator is using the throttle and not pedaling; and two, they are young enough where I believe they should be pedaling that bike. Or any other styled bike, for that matter.

Facts: The most pedaling efficiencies and the most potential mileage-per-charge, will be accomplished on the traditional triangular framed bicycle (leaving recumbents out of this discussion). Long distance tourers, day trippers, go-to-the-store-and-pick-up-a-quart-of-milk types; all the way to the race across america, tour de france and world traveler types are doing it on the safety framed bike. And not on that moped thing.

My ride pictured below: 4 inch wide Jumbo Jim tires that allow me at 25 psi to travel any roadway the moped does and aired down to 5 psi, sees it go through soft, sugar sand roads that moped would have a hard time doing. Dual suspension for frost heaved roadways or off-camber trails. Dead reliable Yamaha drive system that delivers about 40 miles on the high power setting; while providing day-after-day set-it-and-forget-it reliability. Those front and rear racks I put on it feature a maximum weight capacity of 70 pounds on each rack. That's alot of carrying potential. Those are Ortlieb office bags; I have other bags, front and rear, by Ortlieb, to do a supported tour should I choose to do so. The difference between the OMM racks here and every other rack on the market is that all of the weight carried in the bags, are supported by the through-axle......NOT a small, 5mm, fine thread nut and bolt. And that is a big, big difference.

I guess the moped is okay if you want to go styling down the local boardwalk in summer. But if you really want to go beyond the boardwalk, say, 20-30 plus miles down that unknown trail or road, you need something like this:

100_5830.JPG

100_5831.JPG

Well, that's my biased take on the matter! :)

No issues from me, the more non cars we have the better especially if you are being respectful of speed around others. I would be more afraid to ride one of those things around cars with most drivers texting and not looking at the road. I have noticed a huge increase in distracted driving and try to get off the roads and on to bike paths as much as possible or use side roads. I even go out of my way for a safer route after seeing so many drivers texting with their head down.

Just my opinion, but I think a "moped style" ebike is a moped, not an ebike, and does not belong on multi user paths. I would definitely be giving you dirty looks, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be the only one doing so. You probably already know this type of vehicle belongs on the road, not on the paths, so if you buy one, plan on keeping it where it belongs, or else steel yourself to put up with the (justified, I believe) irritation of cyclists and pedestrians.

OP wants a cool ebike and you give dirty looks. ??Why? You have the same bikes. Electric bikes.
juiced2.jpg

Dirty looks will be amplified regardless of the style of the ebike if you ride like an idiot on a multi use trail. Respect the speed and those around you, and forget about the ebike. If you ride a bike lane on the road, do your thing.

They're not the same. They don't have the same size motor, or weight, or, crucially, the same top speed. And, so, only one of them is legal to ride on MUPs. That's why ...
I see several everyday here, I’ve yet to see anyone pedaling and on the MUP every single one is ripping along at max speed. There are days when I can’t pedal, but I never ride at more than old guy on an acoustic speeds on a MUP. The day will come when class designations will catch up to the horrible marketing taking place. Mopeds and mini bikes ought to be regulated as such. Pedals do not make a bike.

Back