PEDS Turn Signal Pedals

J.R.

Region
USA
City
Piedmont Highlands
Seems like a great idea! Turn signals in your pedals. They use the pedal motion to generate the power to illuminate the LEDs and are controlled by a wireless switch on the handlebar. Standard 9/16" threads to fit most bikes.

Screenshot_20200721-150324_Chrome.jpg

download.jpeg

PED won the Eurobike Startup Award 2018
An innovation that increases visibility and safety when cycling without the need for any additional batteries or recharging operations. For us, the crucial feature in this illuminated pedal was the fact that energy for the light is produced from actually pedalling.

From my limited search these are only available through crowdfunding, unfortunately. $137 USD. Seems like a great accessory for commuting.

Unless the pedal is stationary, I think the up and down motion of the pedals combined with flashing would be a confusing message to a motorist. Also, in my experience as a service provider, pedals really take a beating on bicycles. I would not want expensive pedals that are going to get bashed with the lights becoming non-functional. I would rather have turn signals higher up, like on either side of a rack where it would be seen better and less subject to damage.

Unless the pedal is stationary, I think the up and down motion of the pedals combined with flashing would be a confusing message to a motorist. Also, in my experience as a service provider, pedals really take a beating on bicycles. I would not want expensive pedals that are going to get bashed with the lights becoming non-functional. I would rather have turn signals higher up, like on either side of a rack where it would be seen better and less subject to damage.
It's fairly easy to assess how hard the individual is on their pedals. It's interesting, friends that spend a lot on their road bikes or their ebikes tend to be careful. Generally speaking many friend's high end bikes that are years old are almost pristine, even though they are ridden hard. But that is an assessment each rider can make easily. These pedals could be a good option for some. When I taught motorcycle safety for a decade we preached conspicuity.

I'd like to see turn signals incorporated into bar end rear view mirrors. Doesn't seem like much of a stretch to run a wire through the bars and then back under a grip to a thumb switch on the bars. Either that or a simple bluetooth controller to lamps mounted elsewhere on the bike. The controller and lamps could each have a rechargeable battery or a central battery pack that was removable. This could probably be done for $25-$50 total.

Back