Pedogo rear brake - how much it costs to repair or diy

mizuto

Hi,

I have a 2010 cruiser comfort that need a new rear break. Has anyone repaired it yourself? Where did you get the parts?

Thank you!

Is it a disc brake? Is it broken, or just need new pads? What brand is the brake? Brakes aren't too difficult to deal with, unless they are hydraulic, but I don't think those are on your bike. A shop probably wouldn't charge very much either if you're not comfortable doing the work yourself.

I don't think it is hydraulic. Attached are the images of the break.
20160330_204027.jpg 20160330_204036.jpg 20160330_204027.jpg 20160330_204027.jpg 20160330_204036.jpg

Is it a disc brake? Is it broken, or just need new pads? What brand is the brake? Brakes aren't too difficult to deal with, unless they are hydraulic, but I don't think those are on your bike. A shop probably wouldn't charge very much either if you're not comfortable doing the work yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
J.R, thanks for the info and link. I did not know the term "Roller Brake" :)
I called a LPedegoBS and was told that they could throw the brake in if i do the full tune up which is $95. I've never done the tune up at the shop (or myself) and have no idea if this is a fair price.

What you have is a Dia-Compe Roller Brake, any bike shop can repair or replace it for a reasonable price. There are several models, not sure which model you have, but an entire new one can be purchased for $25 +/-.

Google search: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1QJDB_enUS640US640&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=dia compe roller brake

If you're not comfortable doing your own maintenance, a regular tune up is a must - price sounds reasonable considering they'll be fixing the brake as well.

J.R, thanks for the info and link. I did not know the term "Roller Brake" :)
I called a LPedegoBS and was told that they could throw the brake in if i do the full tune up which is $95. I've never done the tune up at the shop (or myself) and have no idea if this is a fair price.
What Paul said!
If you're not comfortable doing your own maintenance, a regular tune up is a must - price sounds reasonable considering they'll be fixing the brake as well.
Roller brakes are good, kind of a drum/disk hybrid. They aren't as efficient as a pure disk brake, but better than rim brakes. You wouldn't want the extra weight on a non ebike, but they have been used on all sorts of recreational bikes. I'd say given the age of your bike, it would well worth the money to get the tune-up.

Happy motoring;)

Actually, that is more like a band/drum brake than a roller brake, although Dia Compe does call it that. Roller brakes generally have a port for some sort of special grease (the Shimano Nexus Roller brake is a classic example) which improves their braking power. You do not put any sort of lube on a band/drum brake. In @mizuto's 2nd and 5th images, you can see the spring loaded tensioner at the bottom of the band. This is usually adjusted by loosening the bolt locking in the brake cable and squeezing the spring a little tighter as you pull on the cable, then re-tightening the bolt.

Perhaps the bike shop will show you this adjustment; band brakes are notorious for loosening more quickly than a typical set of V-brakes so it's good to be able to do at home. Good to get a thorough tune-up anyway if that hasn't been done in a while!

Back