Pedego Latch test ride

JoeinJP

First to post in this reorganized thread I guess!:)

Because my Pedego City Commuter was stolen as mentioned in another post, my priority shifted not just to a 'no excuses' commuting bike, but also security. However many locks will not prevent a professional thief if the bike is in sight. I found the idea of lugging a 60lb CC up an angled flight of steps night after night burdensome, and the realization of a folding bike to be the answer. I was down to deciding between the Latch and the eJoe Epik SE.

Ride: Bike has a full-size feel to it, I was wondering how a bike with 20'' wheels would ride. Plenty of adjustment for the seat and handlebars to my liking, so I could get my legs stretched to the slight knee bend. No suspension vs the eJoe, but wheels are 2'' wide. Going along some pocket-marked streets at 20mph, note to self: avoid that! But I tried some dirt/gravelly paths and no problems at all. I could also get a gel seat cover or even replace with the larger comfortable CC saddle.

Speed: not a priority, but at 3rd gear, 3PAS, I reached the max pedaling effect on a level street ...ie, I would have to go 4PAS to go faster, and the Latch is only 3 speeds.

Power: Most of the time I was in 3/3 as my style is to pedal the bike and use power when I need it. I was in the 15-20mph, pedaling straight away at 2PAS I think was 10-15mph. So power is a bit of a trade-off here. Can make the hills, but at 4 or 5PAS whereas the CC I rarely went past 3PAS. There was enough power for a steep hill when I downshifted to 2 and 4PAS. The specs for the Latch is 5 levels of PAS, the 6th is throttle only, and you have to use the twister to engage. I didn't find much benefit for that, why not remain in an assist level and use throttle when needed. There are only 3 speeds but with 5PAS, I think that gives me enough for what I need...I remind myself this is my commuting bike first and foremost.

Battery: The unknown question will be how frequent will I need to recharge. On the one hand, a smaller wheel I'm told will not draw as much power, but with a 250w 36v 10amp battery, not as powerful as the eJoe or my CC. On the other hand, a folding bike will be in my apt, not outside, so I'll be more mindful of recharging when needed. So not an issue.

Price: Latch is about 1K more than the eJoe, but Pedego uses quality parts. And it also comes down to this: I have a local Pedego dealer (shout out to Mike of PedegoBoston) who is terrific. Responsive, no heavy sales pitch, he even picks up and delivers your bike during a tuneup if you request! There is no eJoe dealer in my area so I can't easily test ride as far as I know. I relied on Court's reviews and various website's specs. Maybe I would have been happy with eJoe but I had to go back to my purpose: what do I know and why do I want the bike.

A folding bike may be uncomfortable for a long ride (3o+ miles?) but for my 4.5 commute, occasionally a 12mile "scenic" commute version or longer 20mile recreational rides, I think it provides that. So rather than go home and further deliberate (paralysis by analysis! You should have seen my spreadsheet before I chose the City Commuter) between this vs the unknown eJoe ride, I'm now a Pedego Latch owner, having it delivered to me on Friday.:D

Last edited:
Maybe I would have been happy with eJoe but I had to go back to my purpose: what do I know and why do I want the bike.
I'm now a Pedego Latch owner, having it delivered to me on Friday.:D

Well, let's update this a bit. Pains me to do it, but I decided to return the Latch.
1) Folding bike, a solid 51 lbs. Still cumbersome to fold/carry up a winding staircase, and because bike security/daily use would require this, a PIA dealing with this every...single...night.
2) Motor on front wheel: I only use throttle when stopped at intersections during my commute to scoot across, and spinout occurs. Annoying since I would have to change my style.
And two secondary reasons:
3) No suspension. For ~$2600, there should be either seat or fork suspension, even for a folding bike. However, Pedego bikes are quality all the way through. I really like the carbon belt in lieu of a chain. Also good LCD display, but I'm not so keen on twist shifters.
4) 3 speeds, 5 PAS I think lends to more reliance on power, perhaps the opposite build of a 5 speed, 3 PAS might lend more to the pedaling to control bike speed with power assisting when needed, as is my style.

Maybe I should have taken my test ride along my commute and 'tested' the bike on my staircase. Riding wasn't the most comfortable, but I could live with that if the folding and carrying was easier, easily an acceptable trade-off for commuting. I don't hate the bike, but for what I'm paying, I need to be more satisfied with it than I am.

I still recommend the bike to anyone living on the ground floor or access to an elevator, and doesn't mind using higher PAS over pedaling reliance at 15+mph.

Thanks for the review!

Just a tip I've heard (hopefully it will help with your next bike) ..

If you have a bike with throttle...specifically a throttle that can go slow.. use the throttle to help the bike drive itself up the stairs. Just walk next to it while engaging the throttle.

Not sure how big the tires have to be to span the steps..I imagine 20" would work?

joe i do that with my throttle bikes sometimes, use it to help the bike up steps, ramps etc
have not paid much attention to whether the bigger bikes roll up steps doing that easier or not
i pretty much have ramps for everything now

sorry the latch did not work out well

i have 2 prodeco mariners and know what you mean about the front tire spinning out

and even though with the battery off they are not super heavy having to carry them up steps every day would be tough

maybe a lighter commuter with bigger tires and throttle you could use to "walk" up the steps would be better?

good luck in your search and thanks for posting this feedback

I decided on the eJoe Epik SE which was 20lbs lighter than the Latch, but along with being less expensive, front suspension, more power, motor not on front wheel, was a better choice. I'm only on the second floor, but the staircase winds with two right turns, so I felt a folding bike vs throttling up the stairs more suitable! Though I still like the City Commuter (no light version though!) if my living situation ever changes.:rolleyes:

Got a follow up on that eJoe? I've got a new eJoe Koda that I just love. My wife got a beautiful new City Commuter... I really like that bike, it's terrific, but the eJoe was 1000+ less and has a little more of an agressive attitude, more of a mountain bike style frame. I'm very happy with it after the first 300 miles. Wish it had the 48 volt battery vs the 36, though.

Been looking at ejoe for a cruising sailboat mode of transportation. Going to take a test ride at ebikes of New England in NH next week. Thanks for your insight, it was helpful. I tried the latch and although I thought the ride was fine, way to bulky to fit in sailboat lazorette especially since I need two (one for wife). Chic

I bought a Latch a few weeks ago. I'm 59, and I think I have slightly better than average strength for my age and overweightness. :)

We had a garage fire a month ago (battery on my pedicab ignited on it's own - contents of garage are a total loss) and while I was waiting for the new cab to be built, I bought the Pedego to satiate my need to be outside.

I don't need to commute... but instead, I *try* to use a bike whenever the weather is over 30 degrees, not crazy windy, and not wet. My SUV stays parked as much as possible. So little runs to the grocery store, coffee shop, or meet up with friends for a meal usually happen on the bike.

Because the garage is not suitable to store the bike until it gets cleaned up and smell removed, the Latch is stored in my laundry room. It's only a few steps to deal with.. but I can relate to the bike being a little heavy.

I bought the Latch instead of a full size so it could go in the back end of my SUV and come along in my RV. I'm thinking the versatility would be something to appreciate over buying a bike that would require a rack on my car.

So far, so good. I love the thing.. and I've had other friends try it out and we all get a good laugh out of how fun it is.

As for the "spin out" starting out from a stop, that's controllable on mine. I did it a few times when I was getting used to it - but no big deal.

A shout out to Blue Monkey ... They're a great shop here in Salt Lake. Truly an enjoyable experience purchasing from them.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

1st post. Hi all.
While overnighting on a sailboat in Norwalk, CT we wandered into an eBike store and tried the Latch. Nice bike for the boat.
While researching folding eBikes, we came across the Jolt on Indigogo.
Sure, it's a risk. But for $500 each we ordered two.
I'll let you know what I think when they arrive.
Another thought...
We drive electric cars (LEAF and Bolt). Neither has a spare tire.
But, maybe it might make sense to have a spare vehicle in the boot...
(Ok, ok, you engineer types are doing the math of range verses weight...)

1st post. Hi all.
While overnighting on a sailboat in Norwalk, CT we wandered into an eBike store and tried the Latch. Nice bike for the boat.
While researching folding eBikes, we came across the Jolt on Indigogo.
Sure, it's a risk. But for $500 each we ordered two.
I'll let you know what I think when they arrive.
Another thought...
We drive electric cars (LEAF and Bolt). Neither has a spare tire.
But, maybe it might make sense to have a spare vehicle in the boot...
(Ok, ok, you engineer types are doing the math of range verses weight...)

Hi Eric-

Are you confident that you will actually receive the bikes from the campaign? I do not quite understand the risks associated with not knowing whether you will receive the product or not. Please keep us all posted if you do in fact receive them. Thanks and good luck!

Actually...if you are still selling that bridge...

Yes, guess I'm incurably hopeful.
If the bikes come through, then it's a great deal.
If not, then I just supported someone trying to do something good.
Guess my pain threshold is measured by "will I miss the money more than I would love the bikes?"
For me, it's a no.
For others, maybe a yes.
Either way, I'll report back.

Actually...if you are still selling that bridge...

Yes, guess I'm incurably hopeful.
If the bikes come through, then it's a great deal.
If not, then I just supported someone trying to do something good.
Guess my pain threshold is measured by "will I miss the money more than I would love the bikes?"
For me, it's a no.
For others, maybe a yes.
Either way, I'll report back.

Great! I think that is a good way of looking at the whole scheme of things while supporting a startup entrepreneur. They look like nice bikes and well worth the wait. I have seen campaigns with a 1 or 2 month turnaround time, however, with May 2018 as the ETA, you will have to remain very patient indeed. I'll keep a watchful eye for the outcome. Thanks and hope you receive them!

Wow, good call.
Very similar.

Except, Dillenger Opia doesn't rhyme with any electric car names.
Jolt rhymes with Bolt.
We own a Bolt.
See how important that is?

I guess my point is: words matter.
(Although perhaps rhymes don't...)

PS Jee, I hope the sarcasm is coming across. I'd hate to get kicked off this forum for a poor sense of humor.

Wow, good call.
Very similar.

Except, Dillenger Opia doesn't rhyme with any electric car names.
Jolt rhymes with Bolt.
We own a Bolt.
See how important that is?

I guess my point is: words matter.
(Although perhaps rhymes don't...)

PS Jee, I hope the sarcasm is coming across. I'd hate to get kicked off this forum for a poor sense of humor.
Good sense of humor-Keep it coming!!

But, seriously, back to the original post concerning bike security:

Does anyone have thoughts about using the charge in the battery as a non-lethal zap deterrent?

I mean, it could be key or phone controlled.
The electricity is there.
We've had bug-zapper technology forever.

We could call it KLEPT-O-ZAP, or E-lock-trick, or DEFALCATOR-DEFIBRILLATOR.

'm jus' sayin'...

Back