pedal replacement

lovinmylectric

Region
USA
I am wondering if anyone has replaced their folding pedals with mks fd-7 folding pedals??? The MKS pedals seem to have a bigger surface area and would grip shoes better. How hard is it to get oem pedals off and are they a standard 9/16 thread? Any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated!!!!

I haven’t replaced my pedals, but I did install extenders. The pedals take a 15mm wrench, and remember, the left pedal is reverse thread so loosen both by turning towards the rear of the bike, tighten by turning towards the front.

Also be aware the pedals are marked with an “L” for left and an “R” for right. Be sure not to mix them up.

I am wondering if anyone has replaced their folding pedals with mks fd-7 folding pedals??? The MKS pedals seem to have a bigger surface area and would grip shoes better. How hard is it to get oem pedals off and are they a standard 9/16 thread? Any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated!!!!
One trick to remove the pedals is to stand at the tear of the bike, fit your pedal wrench on either pedal, then press down on the wrench handle. This will always spin the pedal out of its crank without having to think about left or right hand threads.

When installing the pedals I always put a bit of anti-sieze compound on the threads to prevent rust if it should get wet.

Last edited:
Pedals are 9/16". Should come off easy on a newly purchased bike.

I reached the Pedal Adept Level in bike wrenching this year. I replaced the loose ball bearings in one of my folding pedals after the old nearings mysteriously vanished. Much as I would love a set of MKS FD-7's, that's 50 bucks, and if I spend that on my folder, then both my wife's folders get new pedals too. Now I'm at $150. Instead, I got 100 bearings in a plastic bag for 2 bucks.

Back