Pedal Input Turbo Vado 4.0

vvinay

Region
USA
All, just took delivery of a 2021 Specialized Turbo Vado and was wondering what the most effective pedal style is. It seems to come on more at differnt pedal input like grinding with a lot of torque vs spinning at a higher RPM. I thought I read something here of maybe on Specialized website the most effective way to pedal these bikes and get the most assist out of them. My wife has an Aventon Level and it doesn't seem like she has to worry about pedal input at all, it just assist at whatever pedal input she puts in.Both of us have years of riding and racing under our belts so we do know effective pedaling make all the differnce, even in the regular bikes we own. Can you guys offer a Vado newbie some help?

I have found it practical to rotate the cranks at 80+ rpm. The Vado motor rewards you with "enthusiastic" assistance at such cadence. Faster cadences mean Vado is apt to accelerate very fast. If I want to make impression on my traditional riding buddies, I downshift dramatically then spin. They are left in the dust.

Before this year's vacation, I swapped my 48T chainring for a 38T one. The reason was to make the e-bike a better climber. That of course, required pedalling at higher cadence to maintain the same speed. I'm so happy with the change, I'm going to keep it for a longer while. Especially, cold starts are more effective for me now.

With mashing at low cadence, you theoretically input the same leg power that should be assisted by similar power by the bike. Yet, I feel my Vado being somewhat sluggish at low cadence.

1631552996258.png

Note: I can pedal up to 110 rpm, and 120 rpm happens to me in bursts. Vado just flies at such cadences!

I have found it practical to rotate the cranks at 80+ rpm. The Vado motor rewards you with "enthusiastic" assistance at such cadence. Faster cadences mean Vado is apt to accelerate very fast. If I want to make impression on my traditional riding buddies, I downshift dramatically then spin. They are left in the dust.

Before this year's vacation, I swapped my 48T chainring for a 38T one. The reason was to make the e-bike a better climber. That of course, required pedalling at higher cadence to maintain the same speed. I'm so happy with the change, I'm going to keep it for a longer while. Especially, cold starts are more effective for me now.

With mashing at low cadence, you theoretically input the same leg power that should be assisted by similar power by the bike. Yet, I feel my Vado being somewhat sluggish at low cadence.

View attachment 99911

Note: I can pedal up to 110 rpm, and 120 rpm happens to me in bursts. Vado just flies at such cadences!
At 38 teeth you are now very close to the 40 teeth my 2019 Vado 3.0 came with. Even though the 3.0 does not have quite the torque your 5.0 has, it should still be a decent climber. I have a little over 200 miles on it now, but these are all around town on the weekend miles and I feel like I am still getting used to it. I do plan to take it out on some longer, more scenic, rides, but I have not done that yet.

Back