PAS 4-20 mph
PAS 5 -23 mph
Rad Rover Manual says:
1=4mph
2=8mph
3-12mph
4=18mph
5=20mph.
All the settings on the LCD are as described in the instructions, Wheel size etc...
If I enter a smaller wheel size I guess I'll get slower PAS speeds but then the mileage will be off...Right?
Is there a way to get lower speeds on PAS 1 & 2?

Hi Fran,

It sounds like the bike you have has an older version of the programming on it (there isn't anything bad about the one you have). Please send an email to "[email protected]" we can definitely send controller out to you with the latest software on it!

Last edited:
If you press the up/down arrow at the same time to enter the set-up mode on the LCD. You can select the top speed in kilometers for the Radrover. It should be set for 32 km/h (20mph) and the max is 40 km/h (a little under 25 mph). Maybe the max speed might be set for +32 km/h from the factory?

Its not a settings issue. Its a programming issue. I contacted RPB and they are sending me a new controller. I'll post my thoughts once I get it installed.

I installed the new controller. Not very difficult. Uf anyone else does it be careful of the pins in the connector for the cadence sensor.
I have an elbow issues so no real road test. Just a quick jaunt in the neighborhood revealed a much more manageable pedal assist. No rabbit starts now. Smooth going and I'll be able to stay back with my wife on her traditional mountain bike.

Is there a way to update the controller software? I've had my radrover for 3 months now and it's jumpy when PAS kicks in.. I have nothing else to compare with so I'm unsure if this is normal or the "latest" software version..

There is a plug on the controller but I'm not sure what it is for.
What speed does your PAS level 1 get you to?

Mine pumps me up to just past 10 mph if I remember correctly. I want to say something like 10.3

I do know that when I am coasting slowly and start to pedal - the bike likes to take off like a rocket. It's great feeling that power but at the same time it makes me nervous letting others ride my bike with just a sudden hit of torque like that. Not sure I would like to remove this tho.. it'd seem like I'm tuning down a sports car

I got my new controller in.. it's not functioning right. I am uploading a video now.

Does your controller show you power usage past XX amount of speed? For example: PAS1 = 70 watts. I can be going 8mph or 20 mph and it'll constantly display 70 watts..

I did notice that it's more tame. The torque is much more manageable/softer.

@BVC Correct! This is normal operation on the latest production bikes.

The approximate wattage limits for each PAS mode are as follows (without any speed limiting in each mode):

PAS 1: 50W
PAS 2: 150W
PAS 3: 350W
PAS 4: 500W
PAS 5: 750W

Any previous generations of controllers had speed limiting in each PAS mode as @Fran mentioned in the OP.

Very interesting, so now it is a constant level of assist within each PAS Level, rather than variable power within each PAS. So I would guess it is smoother. When I take my bike in, I will see if they can upgrade my controller. I assume it is programming and not a new controller?

Very interesting, so now it is a constant level of assist within each PAS Level, rather than variable power within each PAS. So I would guess it is smoother. When I take my bike in, I will see if they can upgrade my controller. I assume it is programming and not a new controller?
Yes, they just reprogram it, only takes a few minutes. Contact them ahead of time if you want to do it on a Saturday.

I'd like to report back that while my mileage has gone down (miles per charge) - I do like the new programing the more I ride with the system. I still wish there was a speed cutoff for each PAS level but.. who knows.

I can pedal very comfortably on a flat surface at 12mph under my own power, thus not needing motor assistance. I believe this contributed to better miles per charge in my case as I usually only used PAS1 with a cutoff at 10mph. But in my possibly limited case I can simply just turn PAS off when I'm cruising and adjust PAS levels as I would with traditional mechanical gears.

Back