PAS Settings

LloydK

I have a Rad City ST on order and was wondering if the PAS settings can be changed. I've heard that for example PAS 1 is pre-set at a speed of about 12 mph. Can the speed of the PAS be changed to go slower and if so how?

The PAS settings control the amount of watts going to the motor, not the speed of the bike directly. Just slowing cranking the pedals will cause the motor to engage and propel you forward at some speed based on your weight and terrain/conditions.

I own a 2019 City ST and this is what I see at each PAS level (approximate watts - it can vary a bit):

PAS 1 - 65 watts
PAS 2 - 175 watts
PAS 3 - 375 watts
PAS 4 - 550 watts
PAS 5 - 750 watts

Slowly pedaling in PAS 1 without applying any pressure on the pedals I will cruise at about 12mph. PAS 2 about 15mph and PAS 3 about 18mph. I weigh 155# and ride in flat terrain.

If you don’t want to go that fast in PAS 1, set it to PAS 0 and ride it like a regular bike. Or pedal for a couple of revolutions and then coast to bleed off speed to your liking.

Enjoy the ride! - RangerDave

Thanks RangerDave, that really puts my mind at ease, particularly for my wife. We've never owned e bikes and are trying to anticipate situations as we anxiously await the arrival of her bike. As for me, I'm still "shopping" around for myself. I like the Rad City ST but also considering the Magnum UI6, and Ride 1up 700. We are 70 years old and although quite active the step thru seems to be a very sensible alternative.

You might want to consider a second City ST for yourself also. I believe Rad will discount each bike $100 when you buy 2 bikes at a time ($200 total discount). You might need to contact them to update your order to get this discount. Another benefit of a 2nd Rad bike would be the ability to swap batteries and other parts if necessary to keep one bike operational at all times.

Just a thought. - RangerDave

I have a Rad City ST on order and was wondering if the PAS settings can be changed. I've heard that for example PAS 1 is pre-set at a speed of about 12 mph. Can the speed of the PAS be changed to go slower and if so how?

One thing I like to do is use the throttle for a short burst to get me moving a bit....say to go thru a narrow trail gate. I have both feet down, and modulate the throttle to my desired speed, and then coast to slow my speed, or more throttle to speed up a bit more, if needed. You can control low speed movements easier with the throttle than with pedaling.

The wattage will increase a little and stay there if you keep pedaling and while pedaling, goose the throttle for a good second. This helps mostly when in PAS 1 and 2 when trying to match speeds with a companion.

Yup. Use the throttle to build momentum that you can then maintain while pedaling. Awesome tool/method with a lot of uses.

On a lot of displays/controllers you have the option to fine tune the PAS, from weakest to strongest in the parameters. In the KT units it's parameter p 14. You might want to check if your controller/display has that option.

With stock controller you're stuck with what you get. One of the bigger features of something like the Bolton mod is that they are more "tuneable" to rider preferences.

I posted this in another thread about making the wattage stay up in PAS 1 and 2 and didn’t get any discussion on it there either. Does anyone know what I’m talking about or try it?

Yes - I saw your earlier post and gave it a try with my City ST. Works great! A neat trick to boost the wattage a bit without going full on to the next higher PAS level. I posted the same info in another thread since then to inform another rider.

Thanks for the tip! - RangerDave

I posted this in another thread about making the wattage stay up in PAS 1 and 2 and didn’t get any discussion on it there either. Does anyone know what I’m talking about or try it?

Are we talking stock RAD controller, or the Bolton/KT controller? If KT, are you talking about changes to C5 and C14? Better question maybe, how are you making the wattage "stay up"?

Stock Rad, for example, while pedaling in PAS 1 the wattage is about 50, keep pedaling and goose the throttle for one second. Keep pedaling or it will reset to normal. After the wattage settles down note how it now has about 100 watts. It works best in PAS 1 and 2 until you hit a high speed or stop pedaling for a second. I use it to keep up with my wife since I’m heavier. PAS 2 is too much when riding with her and I can’t get her to always do the “throttle trick” to keep up with me. This is a feature or bug that helps replace the overlooked feature the bikes should have: rider weight compensation to match another rider.

Got it. One of those subtle things you don't notice until you've been riding for a while.

Back