Panniers for Turbo Vado SL EQ 5.0

I am using the Ortlieb "front" roller panniers (bright yellow) on the rear of my Creo. There are a lot of adjustment points that can be angled and rotated to grab racks in all sorts of ways. The rollup avoids the zippers and the yellow is far from khaki!!!
View attachment 131381
Yes, a front pannier might do it. My rack measures only ~ 9.5 in, 24.25cm from the top of the rail to the bottom hook attachment. If you have a tape measure handy, I'd much appreciate a comparison to your rack & bag. I was musing on the fluoro yellow as well if I went with the Ortlieb.

Yes, a front pannier might do it. My rack measures only ~ 9.5 in, 24.25cm from the top of the rail to the bottom hook attachment. If you have a tape measure handy, I'd much appreciate a comparison to your rack & bag. I was musing on the fluoro yellow as well if I went with the Ortlieb.
The pannier does not clip to the bottom but rather has an adjustable arm on a swinging pivot that engages the rack's rear "vertical" strut. The pannier is about 10 inches from to back and when folded/rolled to be level with the top of the rack, about 14 inches.

Aniom rack and pannier.jpg

streamliner-road-dlx-1-.jpg

Reactions: MBC
I am using the Ortlieb "front" roller panniers (bright yellow) on the rear of my Creo. There are a lot of adjustment points that can be angled and rotated to grab racks in all sorts of ways. The rollup avoids the zippers and the yellow is far from khaki!!!
View attachment 131381
Is your rear rack the one from Vado SL EQ?

Is your rear rack the one from Vado SL EQ?
No, as my pictures show - it is a third party rack. I was just trying to show how it attaches and give some dimensions. I guess I would hope that folks can purchase whatever panniers they want to try from a place that accepts returns. That way that can try them to see if they would work in their circumstances.

To give me another option other than always using a backpack, I got the Racktime Odin for the Vado SL. Not a touring pannier (unless you travel very very light) but good for light grocery shopping and commuting. The main compartment holds up to 13L and each side pocket when folded down 5L each.

The bag comes with snap it adapter ready-fitted and goes on easily. A couple of reviews complained of cheap plastic zips (not sure if they addressed that but they are metal now. And sagging, it’s better if you balance out stuff between the 2 panniers but the bag is solidly connected to the rack.

It’s a relief to free my back during these hot sweaty months.

Attachments

• 7955D8F6-2884-4530-8B62-38895CBE2430.jpeg
    7955D8F6-2884-4530-8B62-38895CBE2430.jpeg
    598.6 KB · Views: 278
Vario has no bottom hook. It works very well for me on my Vado SL EQ.
Hi! What do you mean here? From the two datasheets, the rack side of a Vario PS looks the same as that of a Back Roller.
https://www.ortlieb.com/media/downloads/datasheet/en/vario_ps_ql2_1.pdf
Or is it a matter of geometry? or do you have an older Vario model?

Also: is the rack in the VSL the same for all bike sizes? or could it be that only some smaller sizes have a problem with the Back-Roller?

It is the new generation of Vario (I own one). I was mentioning the previous generation of Ortlieb Vario.
Please check the date of the quoted post!
Thanks, I see! (In my defense, the post is from 2022 and I think the new Vario PS is from 2021...)
On the old Vario, are there attachment points near enough to the two sides where one could add a strap to carry it off-bike? (I'd be too lazy to do the backpack conversion every time.)
Also, would you / anyone know the answer to the question about Back-Rollers on VSL EQ? Any possible adjustments to attach them without replacing the given rack?
Thanks!

(In my defense, the post is from 2022 and I think the new Vario PS is from 2021...)

Well, I bought the older Vario earlier, and was not aware of the release of the PS when I was writing the quoted post. An EBR Forum thread made me aware of the existence of the PS, bought one, am happy. Still using the old Vario for increased storage capacity on my grocery shopping rides!
On the old Vario, are there attachment points near enough to the two sides where one could add a strap to carry it off-bike? (I'd be too lazy to do the backpack conversion every time.)
I do not think so. There is a single strap attachment point at the backpack side. There were probably some extra straps delivered with the old Vario but I have never used them.
Vario PS is a far better design.
Also, would you / anyone know the answer to the question about Back-Rollers on VSL EQ? Any possible adjustments to attach them without replacing the given rack?
I have been given an advice by an EBR Forum member. There is a plastic arc with the hook at the rear of the most of Ortlieb panniers. You can unscrew it, flip so the arc points upwards and retighten (I recommend using a threadlocker such as Loctite Blue). Once you have flipped the arc, it will fit the small Vado SL EQ rear rack.

A word of warning: the Vado SL EQ rear rack is not very strong. Try never loading a single side of the rack with more than 7.5 kg gross!

Back