Panniers for Turbo Vado SL EQ 5.0

metamora

Region
USA
I have recently purchased a Specialized Turbo Vado SL EQ 5.0 which comes equipped with a Racktime made rear rack. I know that this rack is designed to be compatible with Racktime bags but after some research I have decided that I would prefer to buy Ortlieb panniers for a couple of week long tours I have scheduled for later this year. Specifically, the Ortlieb Rear Roller Classic (40L) bags. The sales person at my LBS expressed doubt about the ability of this rack to handle the load these bags would allow since it has 3 mounting points, 2 of which are on the rear fender. It is rated for 15kg. He went on to suggest that the bags would not attach to the rack properly because there is no lower attachment point that would allow the bag to be mounted far enough back to avoid heel strike. His solution was to replace this rack with a better one (an additional $175) an then add the Ortlieb bags.

So, does anyone have any experience with these bags on the Racktime rack that comes with this bike? If so, can you confirm that they will fit and be able to carry a load of up to 15kg?

I have recently purchased a Specialized Turbo Vado SL EQ 5.0 which comes equipped with a Racktime made rear rack. I know that this rack is designed to be compatible with Racktime bags but after some research I have decided that I would prefer to buy Ortlieb panniers for a couple of week long tours I have scheduled for later this year. Specifically, the Ortlieb Rear Roller Classic (40L) bags. The sales person at my LBS expressed doubt about the ability of this rack to handle the load these bags would allow since it has 3 mounting points, 2 of which are on the rear fender. It is rated for 15kg. He went on to suggest that the bags would not attach to the rack properly because there is no lower attachment point that would allow the bag to be mounted far enough back to avoid heel strike. His solution was to replace this rack with a better one (an additional $175) an then add the Ortlieb bags.

So, does anyone have any experience with these bags on the Racktime rack that comes with this bike? If so, can you confirm that they will fit and be able to carry a load of up to 15kg?
I used to carry some 20 kg on the same rack with no ill effects. There are two panniers I can recommend for your e-bike based on my own experience:
  • Ortlieb e-Mate barely fits but it fits. The bottom hook of the pannier has to be oriented at 6 o'clock to be attached to the bottom part of the rack triangle
  • Ortlieb Vario is a pannier/backpack. Four simple hand movements remove the backpack harness, and then the Vario can be used as a pannier. Vario has no bottom hook. It works very well for me on my Vado SL EQ.
I only have protected the rack points to which the top Ortlieb top hooks attach with a strong soft tape. I also adjusted the gap between the hooks to eliminate any possible pannier movement along the Vado SL rack.

I used to carry some 20 kg on the same rack with no ill effects. There are two panniers I can recommend for your e-bike based on my own experience:
  • Ortlieb e-Mate barely fits but it fits. The bottom hook of the pannier has to be oriented at 6 o'clock to be attached to the bottom part of the rack triangle
  • Ortlieb Vario is a pannier/backpack. Four simple hand movements remove the backpack harness, and then the Vario can be used as a pannier. Vario has no bottom hook. It works very well for me on my Vado SL EQ.
I only have protected the rack points to which the top Ortlieb top hooks attach with a strong soft tape. I also adjusted the gap between the hooks to eliminate any possible pannier movement along the Vado SL rack.
Thanks for the tip Stefan! Good to hear that the rack will support the weight I need. I will research the 2 bag options you suggested to see if they will work for me.

Thanks for the tip Stefan! Good to hear that the rack will support the weight I need. I will research the 2 bag options you suggested to see if they will work for me.
I will be honest with you: I only use heavy panniers for grocery shopping (plus a backpack). When I go on leisurely rides, I just strap my backpack on :)

Vaude touring panniers fit securely.
B25B47A3-7C17-493D-A7E5-53214E2DCC95.jpeg3B5BC5AC-32DD-4276-8930-3928FE39D505.jpeg

Specialized Tailwind Panniers - Works for what I need them for. 😊

Attachments

• B95FE4F7-52EA-4B16-9A5F-54B84EF66221.jpeg
    B95FE4F7-52EA-4B16-9A5F-54B84EF66221.jpeg
    864.7 KB · Views: 850
  • D74C43EF-16D9-4155-893F-AF9AE41AA80C.jpeg
    D74C43EF-16D9-4155-893F-AF9AE41AA80C.jpeg
    392.3 KB · Views: 755
  • DF6F8250-2DD8-4C87-8571-7810367CF477.jpeg
    DF6F8250-2DD8-4C87-8571-7810367CF477.jpeg
    247.4 KB · Views: 724
  • 29F8AD75-233F-485D-ABCD-119BCF27FF6B.jpeg
    29F8AD75-233F-485D-ABCD-119BCF27FF6B.jpeg
    324.8 KB · Views: 815
Can I ask why you added the tape? Is this just to prevent scratching, discolouration of the metal on the rack? I use ortlieb system too and noticed it's quite obvious where it mounts but that is part of the life of having a pannier :)

@Stefan Mikes I noticed the Ortlieb Vario bag has a new Ortlieb 3.1 mounting system. It requires an adapter (provided) to mount. Did you successfully attach this adapter to the stock rack on your Vado 4.0 SL EQ?

@Stefan Mikes I noticed the Ortlieb Vario bag has a new Ortlieb 3.1 mounting system. It requires an adapter (provided) to mount. Did you successfully attach this adapter to the stock rack on your Vado 4.0 SL EQ?
I am not sure of anything. My Ortlieb Vario seems to have the older 2.1 mounting system. And it has no bottom hook. It works OK for me for grocery shopping (the bag does not even bounce) but I wouldn't attach the Vario to the pannier for any rough terrain ride.

Interesting. I didn't even realise they sold both still:

And the manual for mounting is worse than IKEA: https://www.ortlieb.com/media/downloads/anleitung/varioql31.pdf

Interesting. I didn't even realise they sold both still:

And the manual for mounting is worse than IKEA: https://www.ortlieb.com/media/downloads/anleitung/varioql31.pdf
I use the "bluish" one.
Agree to the manual's quality...

I've used Ortlieb rollers on my Vado with no problems. HERE is a photo of my setup: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/new-turbo-vado-5-0-questions.30618/page-2
Hi @Shekky, Do you recall what kind of Ortlieb rollers you have? From your photo they appear to be "Back-roller Pro Classic", but these companies change their models year to year and country to country too. Am looking for panniers for my new SL 4.0 EQ (Racktime Snap-It system); the rack looks similar though not identical to yours. Needing something seriously waterproof for winter riding, and not a fan of zippers or khaki (i.e. Tailwind). None of our old panniers work on this minimalist thing they are calling a rack ;^) Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi Shekky, Do you recall what kind of Ortlieb rollers you have? From your photo they appear to be "Back-roller Pro Classic", but these companies change their models year to year and country to country too. Am looking for panniers for my new SL 4.0 EQ (Racktime Snap-It system); the rack looks similar though not identical to yours. Needing something seriously waterproof for winter riding, and not a fan of zippers or khaki (i.e. Tailwind). None of our old panniers work on this minimalist thing they are calling a rack ;^) Thanks.
Specialized Tailwind or Ortlieb Vario. The Tailwind fits the VSL rack very well. The Vario is of dual role: a pannier/backpack and it takes no bottom hook but it is still very stable. Ortlieb panniers with the bottom hook don't fit the VSL rack.

Specialized Tailwind or Ortlieb Vario. The Tailwind fits the VSL rack very well. The Vario is of dual role: a pannier/backpack and it takes no bottom hook but it is still very stable. Ortlieb panniers with the bottom hook don't fit the VSL rack.
Thanks @Stefan Mikes! Frankly, am not enamoured with the Tailwind (zippers and khaki colour). I really like the look of the Vario, but 17 of 20 km of my commute on gravel pathways makes me wary of anything without a bottom hook. I saw your post / photos with the bottom hook needing to point downward, and yet a couple of others have referred to the roller Ortlieb working fine. I am pretty much limited to online shopping, so welcome all others' experience / input / opinions.

Thanks @Stefan Mikes! Frankly, am not enamoured with the Tailwind (zippers and khaki colour). I really like the look of the Vario, but 17 of 20 km of my commute on gravel pathways makes me wary of anything without a bottom hook. I saw your post / photos with the bottom hook needing to point downward, and yet a couple of others have referred to the roller Ortlieb working fine. I am pretty much limited to online shopping, so welcome all others' experience / input / opinions.
I am using the Ortlieb "front" roller panniers (bright yellow) on the rear of my Creo. There are a lot of adjustment points that can be angled and rotated to grab racks in all sorts of ways. The rollup avoids the zippers and the yellow is far from khaki!!!
Creo in Sun backyard2.jpg

Back