Oyama folder

dak1010

Have a chance to pick up this at LBS it’s a demo bike 1300.00 USD. Worth it?
Oyama CX8 EDII

is this under powered?
It depends. Except for some fat tires models, 350W in common in 20" folding bikes.
But I don't know why buying a little known demo when there are new folders with similar specs for much less money. Amego Freedom costs $USD 1,000.

Folders probably should be under powered. With much of the weight over the rear wheel, even 350W will lift the front wheel with a throttle start. Add an extra 2 pounds for a 500W motor, and now you want a heavier 12AH battery, etc,

How come they won't show a picture of it unfolded, so you see a better view of where they put the battery.

It's a demo. Ride it and see if you like the torque sensing. That's all that differentiates it from a generic no-name electric folder, although you could point to the hydraulic brakes.

Still, the small wheels and gearing has most folder riders spinning their feet like a top as you get toward 20 mph, and in my opinion, they weren't meant to go that fast.

It's a demo. Ride it and see if you like the torque sensing. That's all that differentiates it from a generic no-name electric folder, although you could point to the hydraulic brakes.

Still, the small wheels and gearing has most folder riders spinning their feet like a top as you get toward 20 mph, and in my opinion, they weren't meant to go that fast.
Thanks for the feedback. Yes I'm a total newbie- strong biker many years ago but haven't rode in at least 15 years.

I'm definitely intrigued by the torque sensing vs. Cadence. I live in a very hilly part of NY -long steep hills
I'm not commuting to work so looking to do light bike paths and other trails and of course street....getting to the library - post office - takeout etc very important.
That said- space is ALWAYS a premium -so I was thinking mini fat tire.

Something like this:

Here are some pros and cons of the Oyama

Pros:
1. Buying from LBS - even though it's demo - it's built already and likely well tuned.- That build factor alone intimidates me to the point I'd have a professional build my bike if purchased online and new -and that can cost $125.00 at minimum. So a 1599. turns quickly in to $1725.00 really quick.

2. Hydraulic brakes
3. Torque sensor
4. won't get hassled much on public bike trails
5. seems like the online reviews feel this is a good deal at 1899.00

cons:
1. small battery and motor
2. no suspension
3. not fat tire.

What do you guys think?

Re: pros
1) Even with assembling Amego Freedom right now is cheaper than Oyama. Court review says Freedom comes nearly fully assembled. Tune up you will have to do in a few months anyway.
2) Hydraulic brakes on 350W motor are not (much) necessary.
3) Torque sensor is not universally liked.
4) I don't understand this one. It still looks like an ebike to anybody who cares to look. Same hassle (or no hassle).

Re: cons
1) Smaller battery = shorter range. If range is enough for you then why worry. As to the 350W motor, Harry has already commented why it's not really small for this type of bike.
2) I would like a suspension, especially on 20", but I would like 26 wheels even more :).
3) Fat tire comes at a price in more ways than one. If you need it, then forget this one and buy fat.

Last edited:
Back