Owner insights on waterproof performance and reliability

hurricane56

Hello members of EBR. I wanted to get some insights of real Juiced Bike owners on how well the various models perform in wet and rainy conditions. Living in the SF Bay Area, we do get our fair share of rainy weather and having a reliable ebike is the key to making a regular work commute possible.

I've had a pre-order for the HyperFat since the middle of this year and want to manage my expectations about overall reliability of the components in wet weather. Many DIYers have told me the MAC motor is very reliable, but how about the other components like the connectors, control panel, and throttle?

My only point of comparison is my current Haibike. I'll be holding onto this bike, since it's good to have two different setups. The one thing I can say about the Haibike and Bosch system is that when it rains, I don't worry at all about water ingress with the controls, since they're all IP rated.

For all of you that own any model of Juiced bike, how well does it work in the wet and have you had any component issues with the drivetrain, motor, or controls?

Hello members of EBR. I wanted to get some insights of real Juiced Bike owners on how well the various models perform in wet and rainy conditions. Living in the SF Bay Area, we do get our fair share of rainy weather and having a reliable ebike is the key to making a regular work commute possible.

I've had a pre-order for the HyperFat since the middle of this year and want to manage my expectations about overall reliability of the components in wet weather. Many DIYers have told me the MAC motor is very reliable, but how about the other components like the connectors, control panel, and throttle?

My only point of comparison is my current Haibike. I'll be holding onto this bike, since it's good to have two different setups. The one thing I can say about the Haibike and Bosch system is that when it rains, I don't worry at all about water ingress with the controls, since they're all IP rated.

For all of you that own any model of Juiced bike, how well does it work in the wet and have you had any component issues with the drivetrain, motor, or controls?

The new Air and ocean current bikes may not have the highest level of water proofing but the original ODK U500 cargo bikes are built like a tank. They are the real workhorse. Used by several pizza delivery companies.
Tora put this bike through some very rigorous testing. He basically rode the bike in rain for 2 hrs straight. Here is a video.

I've ridden a first gen CC Air through some really heavy rain in the Seattle area. My commute is about 13 miles each way. The original throttle needed to be replaced, but ironically this was before I ever rode it in the rain. I was concerned it would happen again, but no problems so far. I've got long fenders (the front extends below the chainring), so perhaps that helps? You'll still need to clean that chain if you ride in the rain, though.

November was pretty soggy here on the Olympic Peninsula, (as usual), lotsa of pine needles, cones, moss, & fallen sticks.
I ride even in pouring rain, so far without any effect on performance, but there has been condensation in the LCD.
I did lose 2 spokes to a stick that got flipped into the wheel. (2 weeks since order, still waiting on replacements)

P.S. to be fair, I did receive 6 spare spokes with the bike which were unfortunately discarded
with the packaging by my wife. (still waiting)

Last edited:
November was pretty soggy here on the Olympic Peninsula, (as usual), lotsa of pine needles, cones, moss, & fallen sticks.
I ride even in pouring rain, so far without any effect on performance, but there has been condensation in the LCD.
I did lose 2 spokes to a stick that got flipped into the wheel. (2 weeks since order, still waiting on replacements)

Which model do you have?

077.jpg
Which model do you have?
CCS, love the bike: hate the weather. December has not been so wet, just cloudy, cold & depressing. Suffering
from cabin fever big time.

View attachment 19368
CCS, love the bike: hate the weather. December has not been so wet, just cloudy, cold & depressing. Suffering
from cabin fever big time.
I like a rainy gray day everyday. But I live in the wrong locale for that! Seriously, rain cheers me up! Bleh: Miami right now at 3:36 EST is sunny, partly cloudy and the official temp is 70F and I'm depressed....maybe because I don't think my CCS is gonna get here today, blast the shipping backlogs!

I like a rainy gray day everyday. But I live in the wrong locale for that!

Rain is considerably more pleasant at 70 degrees than at 40 when humidity & wind chill makes for a freezing ride. Below: my gasser, a little better performance than the CCS but very loud. Engine cover on, stealth mode
2.2 hp. (1650 watts)
.009.JPG

Last edited:
I've had my ODK since October, and I ride in the rain at least once a week. It handles it fine. I use it for getting to and from school, which leaves it parked in a bike rack all day, and I had a concern about the rain and all the electronics, so I got a cheap bike cover on Amazon, and it works fine. I've done rain and snow, no handling issues.

Got a CCX last week. First day I rode it rained and bike was outside office. Condensation in display now (3 days) support say:

"Judging by the photos, looks like water definitely got into the display. Do keep in mind, are bikes are not water proof. Our warranty only covers manufacturer defects but in this case we can make an exception :)"

laughable IMHO

Got a CCX last week. First day I rode it rained and bike was outside office. Condensation in display now (3 days) support say:

"Judging by the photos, looks like water definitely got into the display. Do keep in mind, are bikes are not water proof. Our warranty only covers manufacturer defects but in this case we can make an exception :)"

laughable IMHO

Good to know. I might have to seal mine with clear silicone.

laughable IMHO

Going to have wrap mine with saran wrap! :D

Back