Override Kalkhoff Torque Sensor

KellyM

Hello folks,

So I picked up a Kalkhoff Impulse 2.0 (Aguttu) for a pretty steep discount. I'm very impressed with the construction. I already got a Badass 3.4 coming but I'm having trouble with the other modification. I've searched feverishly but I guess I don't know the keywords.... Or maybe I'm the first to think of it.

It uses a torque sensor and I understand the principle, it saves battery. But sometimes I may not want to break a sweat, after all, why pay 2 grand for a motorized bike just so I will be pedalling for the rest of my trip?

Is there a way to bypass the torque sensor or make it more sensitive so the motor will kick in with less pressure or add a button so that the motor will just take over if my legs get tired?

Thanks!

Kelly

I have three settings, eco, sport and power. I keep it in power. It's the small display so I don't think I have that feature of increasing a number for assistance, unless it's a feature I can't find. I think I was reading the wrong user manual because when I press the bottom button, all I get is a choice between odo and trip meter. If I hold the button down, I can choose between kilo and mile.

Did I miss a setting?

Your badass won’t increase the power. It only removes the 20mph limitation. What you want is a throttle and this bike doesn’t have one.

I know this bike well, because I rented it a lot. It’s very underpowered for hills, but on the positive side you get a whopper range compared to other bikes. After a few outings and some more practice you probably won’t need the Power setting. Try to ride in Sport and only Switch on Power when you’re tired. Also, stick to lower gears because they provide more torque and you won’t have to press on the pedals as hard. That might prevent you from getting tired too quickly.

Thank you. Yeah I looked at a few throttle bikes but the ones they had in my price range didn't seem constructed as well as this one and I got this at an awesome price. I will play with the lower gears more and see how that works.

Just out of curiosity, why sport? Conservation?

I just can't help but think I can't wire a button to either bypass the circuit or add voltage to the sensor. Not exactly sure how the sensor communicates thru a presumed controller...

Thank again:)

Kelly ...
I leave my Kalkhoff (Impulse Evo RS motor) almost permanently in Ultra (highest assist mode). The motor is sparing in providing assistance even though it has (claimed) 70 Nm to dish out. It seems to me that the only way I can access that assistance, is by being in a higher gear than I would normally use; this reduces my pedalling cadence and I have to push harder on the pedals and the motor rewards me for doing so. (Yes, I realise this contradicts what JV is suggesting!)

My control / display, also allows me to alter both the ride dynamic (from relaxed to zippy) and the hill climbing assist (min to max).
... David

Last edited by a moderator:
Kelly ...
I leave my Kalkhoff (Impulse Evo RS motor) almost permanently in Ultra (highest assist mode). The motor is miserly in providing assistance even though it has (allegedly) 70 Nm to dish out. It seems to me that the only way I can access that assistance, is by being in a higher gear than I would normally use; this reduces my pedalling cadence and I have to push harder on the pedals and the motor rewards me for doing so. (Yes, I realise this contradicts what JV is suggesting!)

My control / display, also allows me to alter both the ride dynamic (from relaxed to zippy) and the hill climbing assist (min to max).
... David

Hmm... Do I have hill assist and not realize it? I just bought it yesterday, how do adjust yours?

Ok. I traded that bike back in. I had the worst buyer's remorse I've ever had in my entire life. I just couldn't get over the fact I spent over 2 grand for a bike I still have to pedal.

I traded in for a Jarifa Focus with the Bosch CS motor and HOLY CRAP! That bike is SO powerful! I tackled the steepest hills with ase, like they weren't even there!

I will NEVER buy or recommend an Impulse drive again for as long as I live!

Glad you traded in. The Impulse 2.0 drive has horrible reliability, which has been documented independently by many riders on the German Pedelec Monitor blog.

I didn’t dare say anything because I didn’t think you still had the ability to trade in...

Took a small hit but totally worth it. I'll just take that as a lesson and move on LOL!

Just received my Bad Ass 3.4 and it works exactly as advertised!
Where did you buy your Badass dongle? I can't find a site that will ship to the U.S. On ebay there is a very similar dongle called CMX PBSB but I can't find any information on it.

Where did you buy your Badass dongle? I can't find a site that will ship to the U.S. On ebay there is a very similar dongle called CMX PBSB but I can't find any information on it.

Amazon. Switch mode to UK mode. Then order.

Back