Over50's Charger Chronicles

Just wanted to add my congrats on the 1000 milestone. I certainly have enjoyed your insights and research as you have been breaking in your Charger. These e-machines make commuting feasible and more enjoyable for us old(er) riders. Ongoing knee issues were keeping me from biking to work - about 9.5 miles each way with lots of elevation change - but my Delite has opened up the possibility again. I got my R&M back in the early spring, but had to delay serious commuting until both the weather and my knee allowed me to get into the routine. Thus, I've only put around 700 miles on the bike so far. Health benefits, mentally and physically, are the side benefits for sure, but mainly these machine are just plain fun to own. Thanks for the posts. Ride on!

Now that half the year has passed, I was checking some ride stats and noticed direction towards shorter commute times. Certainly much is seasonal (warmer weather and more hours of daylight) but also I think it is making my route a bit more efficient, rolling through more stop signs and using Tour as the predominant mode vs Eco (particularly the latter part of June I just started relying on Tour mode):

All average distances are around 34-35 miles per commute: February, 1 commute 2 hours 27 minutes. March, 3 commuting days average time 2:25. April, 5 commuting days average time 2:15. May, 6 commuting days average time 2:15. June, 9 commuting days average time 2:08.

I guess age is catching up. I've found that I generally need a day in between commutes to let the body rest up. I've done back to back commutes only two times. And I've only managed two days per week max. In the 2nd half of the year I hope to get some weeks of 3 commuting days (so far the weather hasn't cooperated) and get in better shape to make it easier to commute on successive days.

I find myself gravitating more to Tour mode at the end of 25+ mile rides as opposed to my usual Eco... and it's not like I've got any damn place to be, but that last mile or so goes really well in Tour! So far I've resisted it otherwise unless I need a little extra kick going up a grade or something. I love how the bike performs but still makes you earn it in Eco (Bosch). My cadence sensor bike would cut out boost 2 at about 15 mph, but I find I can easily cover ground near 20mph in Eco on anything approaching flat.

...Based on a 10 year weather research I did, I should be able to commute 66% of the time and avoid rain. I'm slightly under that figure due to my misinterpretation of the weather forecast on certain days. I could have slipped in 3 or 4 more days if I had paid closer attention...

Same situation here. Earlier in the year I put together a table of sunrise/sunset times and avg rainfall throughout the year. But like you mention, I missed a number of good days where I drove to work based on a forecast that had a decent chance of thunderstorms which never materialized. And on one day there was no rain forecast and it rained on me most of the way home. It was on and off steady rain with strong winds and I was really glad it happened as it tested my gear and my bike. The small storm was rolling in just as I was leaving work so I slipped the rain cover over my Vaude trunk bag and the pull-out rain cover on my Shimano backpack and headed home. Bike was fine, I was fine and the handling of the Super Moto-X tires on the wet streets was superb. Only uncomfortable part was the strong wind gusts (fortunately no lightning).

... I put together a table of sunrise/sunset times and avg rainfall throughout the year...

Weather is a huge factor in staying safe and upright, but the challenge of commuting long term is mental - just the challenge of biking instead of taking the easy route of the car or train. I rode an epic amount in 2015, missing only a few days due to travel or family events requiring driving. I gave up nothing for weather, and it took a toll, on me and my bike. However, I learned a lot about what gear is important, and how to setup the bike to satisfy my commuting needs. I also realized that I can keep myself fit and happy and ease up a bit - so I don't insist on riding in blizzards or when there's likely to be lots of crusty snow (video) ice (video) or flooding (video), even though I have the gear to do so.

One of the things I've learned in over 30k miles on Bosch bikes, is that the workout isn't directly dependent on the power level used. Running the bike on a higher power level just means that for the same level of work on the rider's part, you will just go faster. This will result in a shorter duration workout, but if your ride is long, it doesn't make that much difference. For example, without the electric bike my commute would take about 2.25 hours each way. With the R&M Charger with two batteries running on Turbo mode all the time, it takes 1.5 hours each way. I push just as hard either way, but the difference is about 90 minutes more workout without an electric bike, which is a huge difference in the amount I have to eat and sleep in order to commute every day. It's much more sustainable to run the bike on Turbo than push myself longer - I'm still achieving a high level of fitness.

Another big difference is comfort and gear for everything. On a less powerful bike, I'd try to keep things a light as possible, meaning thinner tires, less gear, less comfort. With two batteries, fat tires, substantial frame, I comfortably carry a spare tube, small pump, toolkit, spare spokes, raincoat, supplemental rechargeable lights, actioncam, small bluetooth speaker for podcasts, and in cold weather - spare gloves, spare socks, and additional thin wool layers. This is in addition to daily clothes, laptop, and lunch, all stuffed into one (two in winter) Ortlieb classic panniers. All this preparation and creature comfort would be pared down substantially if it weren't for the E-bike. Also, in winter I ride on studded snow tires, which are heavy and slow. And most important for safety is a charged cell phone (and a cable to power from the Bosch head unit if needed). In 2.5 years, I've had to call for help only a couple times! However, one of the most important bits of gear is an app called Road ID that tracks my whereabouts and will automatically text my location to my family if I'm not moving, because you never know if you'll be able to call for help. As a bike commuter, always make sure people know your whereabouts, and when to expect you, because no matter how good your bike and gear and preparation is, crap happens. :p

Last edited:
Kudos to R&M on the solid bikes they build. I commuted this morning, against my better judgement, in a dense fog. We just had a day of rain and today was to be clear so I prepared for a bike commute. I awoke at 5 am to a fog advisory and dense fog (100% humidity). I should have driven and left the bike at home but I don't always make the best decisions. I made the 16.5 mile commute and in spite of no rain, I was wet on arrival from the mist/humidity, the bike was wet (brake levers and gear twist shift were wet most of the ride). There were areas of standing water from the previous day's rain. With the heavy fog I couldn't see potholes or glass until it was too late to avoid. I did ride slower and had to stop a few times to clean my glasses. I hit some nasty pot holes and had wet streets most of the way. Despite very wet brake levers and streets I had good control. Bike is solid and reliable. Super Moto-X tires are great for a street/road commuting application. Based on experience to date, I would definitely buy another R&M with the only difference being I might opt for the Shimano 11 speed/chain vs the Nuvinci. No regrets whatsoever on the brand or model of the bike.

Kudos to R&M on the solid bikes they build. I commuted this morning, against my better judgement, in a dense fog. We just had a day of rain and today was to be clear so I prepared for a bike commute. I awoke at 5 am to a fog advisory and dense fog (100% humidity). I should have driven and left the bike at home but I don't always make the best decisions. I made the 16.5 mile commute and in spite of no rain, I was wet on arrival from the mist/humidity, the bike was wet (brake levers and gear twist shift were wet most of the ride). There were areas of standing water from the previous day's rain. With the heavy fog I couldn't see potholes or glass until it was too late to avoid. I did ride slower and had to stop a few times to clean my glasses. I hit some nasty pot holes and had wet streets most of the way. Despite very wet brake levers and streets I had good control. Bike is solid and reliable. Super Moto-X tires are great for a street/road commuting application. Based on experience to date, I would definitely buy another R&M with the only difference being I might opt for the Shimano 11 speed/chain vs the Nuvinci. No regrets whatsoever on the brand or model of the bike.
Enjoyed your thread. And agree that Chris at Propel is a great guy. In the earlier posts, you were looking for side lighting. Have you heard of Nori Lights?

...Have you heard of Nori Lights?...
Hadn't heard of them specifically but I've seen lights like this on bikes in my area. I recently saw a large group of cyclists slow cruising through our downtown at night with bikes all lit up. It was pretty cool. In the end, I opted for strategically placed reflective tape.

I just took some new commute video last Friday. I hadn't made any video since early last Spring and things have changed quite a bit. Roads resurfaced and the new protected bike lanes. My video/editing skills are atrocious so pardon the awkward camera angle. This was my trip home. About 18 miles and edited out the most boring parts.
The highlights:
2:55 The Dequindre Cut Greenway
7:09 New PBLs
12:40 Detroit and Highland Park neighborhoods
12:50 Palmer Park - newly resurfaced with a painted lane/shoulder
20:10 Ferndale - bike lanes not protected
23:46 Royal Oak - bike lanes not protected

Just about to top 2,000 miles (sitting at about 1,965). The mileage is accumulating at a slower pace the second half of the year since I have the Haibike now as well. Bike is great on the commute.

But really posting an update asking for some feedback from @Sonoboy or @Saratoga Dave. I installed my Ortlieb handlebar bag. The instructions are pretty straightforward however I can't get the mount such that it doesn't move. Is there supposed to be some play? I can move the mount/bag and it will return to the 90 degree position but I'm afraid its going to flop around when riding. Its fairly firm but I can definitely move it up and down a bit. Do your mounts/bags fit 100% tight with no play? The Charger handlebars are wide at the mounting point.

I started with the Ultimate Plus small. It will fit my cell phone in the clear plastic cover on top, a water bottle, the shoulder strap, my wallet and my extra Abus folding lock just for an example on capacity.
Ortlieb1.JPG

Attachments

• Ortlieb2.JPG
    Ortlieb2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 561
Just about to top 2,000 miles (sitting at about 1,965). The mileage is accumulating at a slower pace the second half of the year since I have the Haibike now as well. Bike is great on the commute.

But really posting an update asking for some feedback from @Sonoboy or @Saratoga Dave. I installed my Ortlieb handlebar bag. The instructions are pretty straightforward however I can't get the mount such that it doesn't move. Is there supposed to be some play? I can move the mount/bag and it will return to the 90 degree position but I'm afraid its going to flop around when riding. Its fairly firm but I can definitely move it up and down a bit. Do your mounts/bags fit 100% tight with no play? The Charger handlebars are wide at the mounting point.

I started with the Ultimate Plus small. It will fit my cell phone in the clear plastic cover on top, a water bottle, the shoulder strap, my wallet and my extra Abus folding lock just for an example on capacity.
View attachment 19236
Congrats on the nearly 2K miles! I can’t tell from the photo, but did you use the coated steel cable the mount comes with? This is the key to prevent it from moving, you’ll need to cross it around the stem and lock it in the mount with the set screw.

Sadly I can’t add anything to this discussion for a few weeks... while I was in charge of ordering this for myself, it is designated as a Christmas present from family and I am not allowed to fool around with, look at, or in any way interact with it until Christmas.

Of course, what they don’t know is that I have to order that adapter to get around the Bosch Intuvia display, so I may or may not wire up the anchor stuff ahead of time. Regardless, I will post my impressions as soon as I can. I am certain it will be far superior than the half-assed coat hanger supported bag setup I used for the Erie Canal!

Congrats on the nearly 2K miles! I can’t tell from the photo, but did you use the coated steel cable the mount comes with? This is the key to prevent it from moving, you’ll need to cross it around the stem and lock it in the mount with the set screw.
Thanks Chris. I did wrap the cable per the instructions and to be sure I took it apart and remounted it today. Similar result but perhaps a little tighter on the second try. I rode around a bit and it didn't really flop around. My contents rattled around but I would pack more diligently if I had been riding for other than testing the bag. Maybe you can look at this video intending to show how much play there is and let me know how that compares to the bags you have mounted. The instructions aren't too clear about whether it should be absolutely tight or have some play. The bag still sits at 90 degrees per the instructions.

Discovered an unanticipated benefit of the Ortlieb handlebar bag: On my human powered Tern I have a Klickfix mount for a Tern shopping basket. The Ortlieb bag is perfectly compatible thus I can switch it between bikes:
Ortlieb3.JPG

Commuted on the Charger today and performed a battery range test similar to my last two Haibike commutes. On those two commutes on the Haibike (CX motor) I had favorable weather and chose to not charge the battery at work. I commuted about 35 miles maybe 70/30 or 65/35 Eco/Tour and was on track for 60-70 miles of range.

My commute today on the R&M was slightly less favorable weather. Hotter. 90F on return. Windier but mostly crosswind. I finished 35 miles with 2 bars showing (was probably close to dropping to 1) and estimated range of 24 miles on Eco and 12 on Tour. Very rough estimate of assist ratio is 65/35 Tour to Eco.

My commuting on the R&M flips the Eco to Tour ratio vs the Haibike. I'm attaining higher speeds (of course) on the R&M speed motor but I need at least Tour to ride around 18-22 mph. Top speed today was almost 25 mph. The Haibike has the torque and power to get me to 18 mph easily in Eco. On that bike I need Tour if I want to maintain 19.5 at an easier cadence but I can ride just under 19 in Eco without killing myself.

I conclude that close to 50 miles of range is still possible for the R&M after owning the bike 1.5 years (with favorable weather conditions and my flatter terrain).

Here are some May commuting comparisons:

R&M Charger; speed motor; Nuvinci (owned since 11/2016); 2200+ miles:
avg distance 34.3 miles; avg time 2:12 or roughly 15.6 mph avg; top speed 24.7 mph; achievable range 45-50 miles under good conditions riding very roughly 60/40 Tour to Eco

Haibike XDuro Trekking; CX motor; 11 speed (owned just under 1 year); 1200+ miles:
avg distance 34.9 miles; avg time 2:14 or roughly 15.5 mph avg; top speed 22 mph; achievable range 60-70 miles under good conditions riding very roughly 60/40 Eco to Tour

Back