Over 200,000,000 ebikes in use in China

• Thread starter Deleted member 4210
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4210

New laws are going into effect in China, where ebikes must have lithium batteries. So no longer lead acid batteries are being allowed on new ebikes. And every one of them must now be registered.

At the end of 2016, there were more than 900 ebike manufacturers in China.

No wonder we see nearly a new brand every month here in the US , and most are sourced from China.

The average price of an ebike in China (lead acid) was $300 (us value), which is price dealer paid. Before retail level. Supposedly that will jump by a third, with lithium batteries on them now. I'm guessing these are not grade A lithium batteries for such a low price for an entire ebike. But it does help explain how there are some ebikes selling on places like Amazon and eBay for only $600 here in the US.

200 million ebikes. I guess with a population exceeding 1 billion, and probably most can't afford a car, a good chunk of them are more than willing to shell out money for electric assist anything that helps them get around.

Anyway, sort of interesting market over there and world wide when you dig into it. Yet, I'd bet still 70 or 80% of Americans could not tell you what an ebike is, or how it works.

Putting all those 200.000.000 bikes wheel to wheel would get you 9 times around our little planet Earth.
Or balance them vertically the same way ( could be tricky) and you can almost touch the moon when it is at its nearest position.
With a Chineses production rate of 30 million e-bikes per year we’re probably already beyond the moon.

A search on 200 million e-bikes returns several ”hits” Here is one.
https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2017/...m-200-million-today-to-2-billion-in-2050.html
25 million e-bikes worn out every year:oops:

Last edited:
Putting all those 200.000.000 bikes wheel to wheel would get you 4 times around our little planet Earth.
Or balance them vertically the same way ( could be tricky) and you can almost touch the moon when it is at its nearest position.
With a Chineses production rate of 30 million e-bikes per year we’re probably already beyond the moon.

A search on 200 million e-bikes returns several ”hits” Here is one.
https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2017/...m-200-million-today-to-2-billion-in-2050.html
25 million e-bikes worn out every year:oops:

lol that article is 2 years old.

200m / 25m annually = 8 years. That sounds like a long time for lead-acid batteries, though I guess they keep the ebike and replace the batteries frequently.

lol that article is 2 years old.

200m / 25m annually = 8 years. That sounds like a long time for lead-acid batteries, though I guess they keep the ebike and replace the batteries frequently.
Yes, a mix of old and fresh news on the internet.

Interesting. Powabyke in the UK source the replacement SLA batteries for their older models from Vietnam. Wonder where the batteries come from for the Chinese TailG brand SLA powered ebikes Suntech/Kysmo imports to the US? The technology isn’t going away as the weight of SLA batteries is why they’re used as ballast on mobility scooters. This just sounds like a typical communist-tractor-factory style pronouncement - much improvement, great success, etc.

Last edited:
Back