Ordered a Charger3

Winstonc

I all, I ordered a R&M Charger3 Touring HS last week with the 625Wh battery and the Kiox Cockpit with a September build. This will be my first eBike (I did have a GoCycle GX for a couple of weeks), but up until about 10 years ago I was a keen cycler and just sold my Trek Madone 5.9 which had been gathering dust.

Couple of quick questions, I see R&M offer a Dual Battery 1125 option for the Charger3 which looks like it sits on top of the down tube. Does anyone know if this can be added later or does it need special configuration when the bike is made? Also do the R&M bikes come with water bottles or do you need to purchase them separately.

Thanks

David

I all, I ordered a R&M Charger3 Touring HS last week with the 625Wh battery and the Kiox Cockpit with a September build. This will be my first eBike (I did have a GoCycle GX for a couple of weeks), but up until about 10 years ago I was a keen cycler and just sold my Trek Madone 5.9 which had been gathering dust.

Couple of quick questions, I see R&M offer a Dual Battery 1125 option for the Charger3 which looks like it sits on top of the down tube. Does anyone know if this can be added later or does it need special configuration when the bike is made? Also do the R&M bikes come with water bottles or do you need to purchase them separately.

Thanks

David
R&M insists that you configure the dual battery option at time of purchase. I doubt this policy has changed. You will get the hardware to mount a PowerPack 500 on the downtube, as you noted, plus the PowerPack 500, to give you a total of 1125W. I believe the default configuration is a 500W PowerTube, with the first level upgrade to a 625W battery, and finally to 1125W with the addition of the PowerPack 500.

in principle, you can find all the parts for sale online to set up the PowerPack later but if you have issues, you’ll get zero support.

R&M insists that you configure the dual battery option at time of purchase. I doubt this policy has changed. You will get the hardware to mount a PowerPack 500 on the downtube, as you noted, plus the PowerPack 500, to give you a total of 1125W. I believe the default configuration is a 500W PowerTube, with the first level upgrade to a 625W battery, and finally to 1125W with the addition of the PowerPack 500.

in principle, you can find all the parts for sale online to set up the PowerPack later but if you have issues, you’ll get zero support.
FYI I have a Charger3 Mixte with the dual 1125W and I was told the down tube is 625 and the 500W was on the rear rack. It could be the other way around, but that’s not how it was sold to me. And you must order both at the same time. I hope the OP loves his Charger. I hope to get mine and my wife’s after 9 weeks this week!

FYI I have a Charger3 Mixte with the dual 1125W and I was told the down tube is 625 and the 500W was on the rear rack. It could be the other way around, but that’s not how it was sold to me. And you must order both at the same time. I hope the OP loves his Charger. I hope to get mine and my wife’s after 9 weeks this week!
The top tube on the Mixte slopes down, leaving insufficient room on the down tube for the frame PowerPack, which is why you got the rack PowerPack. The Charger3 will have it on the down tube.

I read a review that made the case for only having 500W batteries. The advantage is that they are interchangeable, easy to swap if your spouse rides and eBike and with the same battery. The extra 125 watts probably isn't essential anyway, and it costs more money.

Thanks for the input. I guess I can always just order a spare battery and carry it on the rear rack and swap out the downtube battery if I ever do long rides.

Winston, here are some figures that might be useful.
  • Furthest on 1 x 500 Wh (Trek Powerfly 5) : ≈100 km
  • Furthest on 2 x 500 Wh (R&M Homage) : ≈150 km
On these rides the batteries ran flat and the motor (Bosch CX Gen1) stopped. I had a backup battery in my Ortlieb E-Mate pannier bag and could continue after swapping.

Of course, my being closer to 80 than to 70, needs to be factored in!

David

When I receive my Charger 3 next month,I intend to remove the mud guards as I live in Southern California and we have (virtually) no rain and I think the bike looks better without them. I also intend to remove the rear bike rack as I don't really have any use for it because of my intended use for the bike (exercise).

Does anyone one see any issues? I know if I remove the bike rack I will also remove the wheel lock and I will have to relocate the rear light, probably to the seat post.

Thanks

David

Additional data on battery consumption vs distance/speed

On my new R&M SuperDelite: 47.3 mi ride with 62% battery remaining. Rode is Tour mode 93% of the way.

IMG_1355.png
IMG_1356.png
IMG_1357.png

Re: you bike rack , many uses , more so if you ever decide to take a tour with tent and panniers to carry your kit, or just simple day to day shopping where you can pack purchases into them , then of course you can get a spare battery + attachment rack cover

I asked R and M via my bike shop today whether I could modify my order to replace the Kiox on my ordered charger 3 with the newly announced Nyon option. The bad news was no, the good news is because my bike is shipping today.

By November/ December my LBS Should be able to get the parts to upgrade it for me.

Can’t wait for the bike to arrive in a couple of weeks.

The waiting is tough, but it will soon be behind you. Congrats on the new bike. Fun times await you.

I asked R and M via my bike shop today whether I could modify my order to replace the Kiox on my ordered charger 3 with the newly announced Nyon option. The bad news was no, the good news is because my bike is shipping today.

By November/ December my LBS Should be able to get the parts to upgrade it for me.

Can’t wait for the bike to arrive in a couple of weeks.
Congratulations! Enjoy your new toy!

Back