Orbea Gain for commuting?

Nah, I didn't pay rrp. Discounts to be had.. But its difficult, as the bikes are almost made to order and there isn't floor stock anywhere.
So how long you need to wait to get the bike ? As I was looking to buy Orbea gain but didn't really check in detail .

I believe they have different shifters. The drop bar shifters were paddles. Factor in the cost of bars, shifters, and cables. You may save something, but not $1,000.

No I agree... but you can offset some of this cost with selling the brand new components on the flat bar bike. Commuters are always looking for things like new shifters (this is where the major cost is - a good alloy drop bar can be had for $50 aus).
The issue still remains, unless I'm missing something, the price of the drop bar bike seems inflated (even taking into consideration the more expensive initial cost of the 105 drop lever configuration - which is about $200 difference). The shifter cost to a company like Orbea would be way less than to the end-point consumer. The margin in the drop bar bike has to be far better than the flat bar?

Orbea ship the Gains in containers so almost all of them are pre ordered. I ordered my D30 around end Jan and it arrives end Feb. For my color.

Put order in for M20 + Carbon Cosmic wheel upgrade, last Monday (28th Jan) Delivery date given March 16th, here in UK.

I think Melb23 is a new cyclist, so I assume all the stuff fun to buy... Helmet, clothing, bottles, pumps, etc etc ?

Ah, that makes things clear. Best advice? Road test if possible? Various saddles. Like a snooker cue, I found the "Right One" Fizik Aliante (for me anyway) and have them fitted on all my bikes.

As a motorcycle rider, and a cyclist, my best advice is to buy the best helmet you can afford. There is a slight 'law of diminishing returns' at the very top end, but everything equal, the more you spend the lighter, more aerodynamic, more breathable, and perhaps safer helmet you'll get.

If you paying $4k for a bike, $200-300 for a helmet shouldn't even be a consideration. How much is your head worth?

Yup, extremely new cyclist here. I got all the gear, bib shorts, jersey, helmet, bottle cage, U lock, gloves, MTB clip in shoes. Spared no expense on the helmet and got a Giro Synthe MIPs.

Of course, isn't helmet wearing mandatory in Australia?

Yep. But I see folk on $8000 bikes with $20 kmart helmets. Can never figure it out.

Yup, extremely new cyclist here. I got all the gear, bib shorts, jersey, helmet, bottle cage, U lock, gloves, MTB clip in shoes. Spared no expense on the helmet and got a Giro Synthe MIPs.

Ah, the wait is on... I'd just wear all the gear while I drove the car around the neighbourhood. Including the helmet.

At least it's a helmet of some description. Over here many roadies (not MTB's) only wear them when racing. Duh.

Last edited:
I know. These accessories really add up, especially for me as a beginner. It doesn't help that I really dig the sports aspect of cycling and would always rather get the racing versions of anything if i had a choice. I must have spent hundreds already....

Back