One night of rain, middrive dead...

Frederic

Region
Europe
Hi all,

last week I installed a Bafang 750W BBS01B middrive with a DPC 18 display on my sons bike. He loved it, and after one day of use, he left it out in the rain at night....
Now the motor doesn't work. The battery is charged, the DPC display works, as well as the head light.

I took all the connectors apart, and left them drying for five days in bags with rice.
Also I disassembled the controller of the motor, but is was completely dry inside.

How would I go about this?
Any Ideas?
Thanks

It could be water inside the "waterproof" connectors or moisture killing the display. Pull the main harness connector off at both ends and blow it off with compressed air.

If that doesn't work, you can jumper the BBS0X cable with the dis[lay removed. It will run with throttle and one PAS level if the controller isn't damaged. If you own the programming cable, plug it but don't connect to PC. Otherwise, you need one jumper with female ends.
jumeprs.JPG

More info. If the bike runs, then you know the display has water in it. Some people like to run w/o display. I wouldn't mention the link, but I know the technique works on my BBS02B.

It could be water inside the "waterproof" connectors or moisture killing the display. Pull the main harness connector off at both ends and blow it off with compressed air.

If that doesn't work, you can jumper the BBS0X cable with the dis[lay removed. It will run with throttle and one PAS level if the controller isn't damaged. If you own the programming cable, plug it but don't connect to PC. Otherwise, you need one jumper with female ends.
View attachment 165443

More info. If the bike runs, then you know the display has water in it. Some people like to run w/o display. I wouldn't mention the link, but I know the technique works on my BBS02B.

Thanks Harry, I will try your tips, I will let you know what it was in the end, thanks

I think the most likely culprit is the display got some moisture inside and something went bad before you were able to dry it out. #2 on my list would be the battery shorted out. Possibly as simple as a blown fuse though. Thats going to be a very expensive mistake if its the battery. You need a volt meter. Apply it to the battery terminals and see if you get a voltage reading. If not, find the fuse and reset it. Hopefully there is one readily accessible, but you may have to pop the battery case open if its a plastic Hailong type case.

FWIW, the little bags of silica dessicant do a much better job than rice. You can buy a bag of like 50 of them on Ebay for not a lot of money, and recharge them in the oven for a couple hours at 175 degrees. Living here on the coast where we get lots of humidity, I have lots of them and one goes into a jar of coffee or sugar, spices etc. else they clump up on you. I recently got moisture inside my $300 Cycle Satiator and a few days in a ziploc with some dessicant bags cured it.

If all else fails, start replacing parts. Start with the display. Then the wiring harness (the 1-to-4 cable). Since you can't even power on that leaves out the throttle and speed sensor as culprits, but since they are so cheap I'd try replacing the throttle anyway. After that... its the battery and thats not cheap.

Back