One input,multiple controllers and motors

sickwayne77

Hi all,
I have a quick issue to ask about. I'm sure I can use a twist grip throttle to feed input to multiple motor controllers, but I would like to know if anyone has already done it on this site. I have been into RC for a long time and I often use a single input for several motor controllers, and to do that I just wire all the signal grounds together and wire all the signal inputs together; easy.
Has anyone installed a front AND rear hub motor kit here?
I have seen Luna's site and contacting them may be a possible route for info, but I am cheap and I will likely buy the ebay kits (48V 1000W) and their info may not apply exactly; I would expect a substantially sized company like Luna to just offer a dual wiring harness and forego explaining how to wire up multiple controllers to people.

A few more specifics:
I may never get around to building this, but I would like to build a Model T look-a-like using 4 front wheel kits. Just something with golf cart like performance that I can ride around down town and at car shows in. But the alure of using those cheap conversion kits goes away if I have to consider the possibility of frying one or two controllers while trying to wire them up. At that point it would be cheaper to have constructed a double reduction drive and used a couple larger motors on the rear wheels only.

Thanks!
Wayne

I want to add another question on top of that, what is the actual max amps and watts for those Aosom 48V 1000W hub motor/wheel combos? Nowhere is it listed as being a max or being the nominal rating.

Also, I have somewhat of an answer to my original question in the above post. Someone has already done it with two or three motors, cannot remember where I dug that up, some other forum. Apparently the controllers feed + / - and get a signal from the throttle control, so that is just like any RC controller. I haven't done it yet, but if I do I'll be sure to disconnect the power to the throttle control from all but one motor controller. In RC our controllers feed back 5V and can be "linear" or "switching" regulators. One type can be wired all together and still produce 5V, the other type would produce more than 5V with multiple controllers all wired together. I am no expert in electronics (and some of that explanation may very well be flawed, I wouldn't know) so I always use only one 5V lead from those controllers and that keeps my receivers and other boards safe. That's where I would start with ebike controllers too. They are after-all brushless DC, so it stands to reason they should be wired in the same ways.

Hi Wayne,

I've been running a dual motor e-bike for a few years. I am not a professional; but I have had some success with dual motor controllers and one throttle. The throttles I've used were hall sensor based ones. Basically there is a +5 supply to the hall sensor (senses position based on magnets), a 0V negative wire and a throttle signal wire that sends a voltage to the controller. I'm missing the technical terms but I'm sure you get the idea. Check out this explanation:

http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=1718.0

I just have one +5 to the throttle, and split the 0V and the throttle signal wire. It works but its not always a smooth acceleration, sometimes I have to back off a bit on the throttle and increase it again to make sure both motors are getting a throttle signal. That is the nature of splitting up a hall throttle for two controllers. It definitely works but there is some room for improvement.

The best solution I've read (I have yet to attempt it) is to add a second hall sensor to the same throttle unit so the acceleration is nice and smooth; it would be like having two throttles, accelerating nice and even. Check out this solution:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12356&p=222185&hilit=2wd+methods#p222185

Hey I have a similar issue in rebuilding a Radtogo 2 wheel mobility scooter. The drive wheels are brush motor units with 2 controllers fed from a single 5v thottle. My problem has been that in a turn, the wheel need to turn at different rpm . What seems to work (low tech) is to use micro switches to interupt the data signal to the inside wheel on extreme turns.

Hi all,
I have a quick issue to ask about. I'm sure I can use a twist grip throttle to feed input to multiple motor controllers, but I would like to know if anyone has already done it on this site. I have been into RC for a long time and I often use a single input for several motor controllers, and to do that I just wire all the signal grounds together and wire all the signal inputs together; easy.
I have seen Luna's site and contacting them may be a possible route for info, but I am cheap and I will likely buy the ebay kits (48V 1000W) and their info may not apply exactly; I would expect a substantially sized company like Luna to just offer a dual wiring harness and forego explaining how to wire up multiple controllers to people.

A few more specifics:
I may never get around to building this, but I would like to build a Model T look-a-like using 4 front wheel kits. Just something with golf cart like performance that I can ride around down town and at car shows in. But the alure of using those cheap conversion kits goes away if I have to consider the possibility of frying one or two controllers while trying to wire them up. At that point it would be cheaper to have constructed a double reduction drive and used a couple larger motors on the rear wheels only.

Thanks!
Wayne
Hi all,

A few more specifics:

Thanks!
Wayne
Check out utube multiple motor installs. Good piece on 2WD bikes.

Back