Old Man new guy to EBR

Lbrava

Region
USA
Hi I'm old (64 years) spent a lot years on road bike & spent about 30 racing dirt bikes. Bought a Specialized roubaix a few years ago but a bad knee & laziness just made it a dust collector. So it's up for sale & I'm going to buy an ebike. Anyway I have some questions & will hopefully get some great info. here.
Thanks
Lou

Welcome to the electric side of the hobby. We choose how much exercise we get, not the weather. >20 mph winds are much more common in my area than 5 years ago. I'm age 72. Mostly bike riding inproves the state of my Army damaged knees, but sometimes one goes to extreme pain. In that case the throttle & hub motor drag me home; not a tow truck nor my wife's sub-compact car.

You came to the right place now you can spend a mint or buy something reasonable. My recommendations would be a step thru frame, at least 500 watts rated power, largish tires( not fatties) good front fork, large comfortable seat and look for something that already has a rack installed and around a 14 ah battery.If speed is not an issue a 36 volt motor will do just fine, do not get caught up in the HP race from the get go.
I would suggest looking at Sondors or Aventon, so much better if the LB carries and services the brand you choose and Welcome, you are going to pick up a lot by 'osmosis" if you follow this group.

Thanks guys, yeah when I first started looking I had major sticker shock ! If I go used I'll probably spend 3K-4K hopefully that pans out, new probably 5K. I haven't seen the Sondors or Aveenton I'll give em a look.

The more you can tell us about how you like to ride, where you live, what if any specific needs or limitations you have the more the advice you receive will be tailored for you. Some always recommend what they own and ignore who you are, simply seeking confirmation of their own decision. Others will actually read and pay attention to how you define your needs, budget and preferences.

Lbrava,
Congrats on your search for an ebike. They rock. Further, Faster, Funner!
You will learn alot once you start test riding. You have loads of cycling experience so trust your instincts. The perfect ebike is the one that fits your needs.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, yeah when I first started looking I had major sticker shock ! If I go used I'll probably spend 3K-4K hopefully that pans out, new probably 5K. I haven't seen the Sondors or Aveenton I'll give em a look.
You can get a nice "Specialized" for that money, for around two you can get the ones I mentioned unless they have skyrocketed in price, the thing is start a bit lower to make sure you like it and have the time.The semi local LBS sold Aventons and "Specialized' they liked the "Aventons" OTH they dissed my "Leon cycle"( sold that bike to a Guy a long ways off,He loves it and has put many miles on it)

Last edited:
Biggest call to make right away is to answer the question "who is going to get their hands dirty when it comes to assembling and maintaining this bike"? The answer to that question, because so many local bike shops (LBS) won't work on anything they didn't sell (especially mail order bikes), will point you where you need to be shopping for this new bike. If you will be depending on a shop, that's where the focus of your shopping needs to be. If you are going to do your own work, THEN you can start shopping online....

I would have to have a derailleur. Yes, it adds a layer of maintenance, but I think it gives the bike much more versatility.

Oh, there are a LOT of old men hanging out on this site. At 64, you're still a youngster!!!

I rode mine yesterday from the shore of Lake Superior up to a friends place, some,1,000 feet higher in elevation and I did it in about 15 minutes. Got up to 25 mph on a plateau. The three of us had beers and pasties and i took an uber home (getting wiser in my dotage). His second wife and I are 64 and he is near 70. He was out on his first ride on his Walmart ordered haibike when i arrived.

I rode mine yesterday from the shore of Lake Superior up to a friends place, some,1,000 feet higher in elevation and I did it in about 15 minutes. Got up to 25 mph on a plateau. The three of us had beers and pasties and i took an uber home (getting wiser in my dotage). His second wife and I are 64 and he is near 70. He was out on his first ride on his Walmart ordered haibike when i arrived.
With 1000 feet gained in 15 minutes, that uphill grade was an accomplishment worth mentioning! Also worth capping off with a beer or two! Good call on the Uber after that though, as you wouldn’t want to fall asleep on your bike. 😊

Lots of great advice being posted. I have learned to buy a good saddle and suspension seat post and then build the bike around that😀

If possible test ride as many e-bikes as you can. Mid-drive, drum drive, torque sensor, cadence sensor and throttle would be bikes I would be wanting to ride for comparison. I have owned all of the types I listed and they all have a different feel.

The terrain you will be using it on should be taken into account, also the condition of the roads and paths. Because of the clay soils and frost penetration in my area, a fat tire would have been more comfortable for me at the expense of more rolling resistance and range.

That's something I haven't thought about. I don't have to worry about Frost but defiantly there will be varying terrain. I test rode a Giant Stance & a Trek powerfly both had normal tires. Maybe I'll try a fat tire bike. I'm guessing from your post you can't get a fat tire on your rim.

I would have to have a derailleur. Yes, it adds a layer of maintenance, but I think it gives the bike much more versatility.

Oh, there are a LOT of old men hanging out on this site. At 64, you're still a youngster!!!
Up until my current bike (Ariel Rider C class), I've had bikes with derilleurs, and got along fine with them. Now I have an IGH (Shimano Nexus 7), and have become very fond of it. I'd have a hard time going back, though guess I will if my next bike forces me that direction.

Up until my current bike (Ariel Rider C class), I've had bikes with derilleurs, and got along fine with them. Now I have an IGH (Shimano Nexus 7), and have become very fond of it. I'd have a hard time going back, though guess I will if my next bike forces me that direction.
I was referring to the direct drive single speed bike shown in @Pine_marten's link in post #7

Been wanting to try an IGH myself. If Evelo can ever manage to get their new Atlas in stock, I may have to have one of those......

If you like traveling on the throttle (which i seldom do) you can hop up a mid drive to turn high rpm and run lower gearing. You may sacrifice top speed but you will still move along well and climb hills like a champ. Because i enjoy pedal assist this would not suit me. My current dilema is the long downhill stretches and constantly having to be on the brakes. Regen braking would be an elegant solution though i am not interested in charging my battery this way nor am i interested in a hub drive set up. And adding a front hub motor to get the regen braking would add more complexity than i care for.

Back