OK...I like all the new bikes coming out...but are the "Bells & Whistles" worth it?

flymeaway

I've been watching the parade of new bikes being introduced and WOW, they really are innovative in design, but, does the basic function of the bike improve? I get the glitz and gee whiz of it, but what I'm not so sure about is added capability (as a bike) for what appears to be a substantial increase in cost. I guess if you have 5, 6, 7 thousand plus dollars burning a hole in your pocket and you have to have the "latest and greatest" it makes sense.

Ravi provided a link to electric motorcycles on clearance and I believe the base model was $6,999. When E-bikes cost as much, or more then a e-motorcycle, I begin to wonder ???????????

It reminds me of Sheldon Brown's discussion of the basic Diamond frame geometry. It's very hard to improve on almost perfect in basic function.

Court J.

My POV is probably already clear from snarky comments, like having a faster/lighter bike, 2nd battery & $3,800 still in pocket VS an ST2 for example. Rides like the Grace TANK, and others are blurring the lines between ebike and e-motorcycle. I welcome this diversity and can picture a future with both types of machines on constant charge. -S

I am have enough problems keeping my bikes on the trail w/o the bells and whistles.Give a bike that can hold speed up the hill , travel forever and maybe works w/a phone. I need reliability, reliability, speed , distance and more reliability! the other is fluff to me. Specifics could include brakes that are made for ebikes so they don't wear out as often, get rid of the chain or make it maintenance free, flatless tires (w/return energy), standardization in power chargers that are actually "smart". Kick stands that work would be good too, along w/fenders that don't move and rub

Did I say reliable enough? :)

Mark

I had this very same discussion with Christian Muller (CEO Stromer) and his stance was that, they wanted to make a super cool bike without worrying about volume pricing, mass market yada yada...
They are not looking to sell ST2's in huge numbers. They wanted to the first to bring in some latest of the tech.

Like Mark mentioned, for me, reliability takes precedence over gizmo and that becomes evident few years later but right now, most of these bikes are new toys.

@opimax , You should try that M1 Spitzing. comes with everything you want (Fox 32 shocks, 48V, 18.3Ah battery, carbon frame, VERY fast.
You would love that bike.

Ravi, forgot my main request, your choice: :)

Stealth to the max or let me ride legally on bike trails (paved preferred) That bike is too fast for me, I would like 32 -33mph max but able to keep it that speed. I cant see the price while at work but I know I dont want to spend THAT much.

Ravi, forgot my main request, your choice: :)

Stealth to the max or let me ride legally on bike trails (paved preferred) That bike is too fast for me, I would like 32 -33mph max but able to keep it that speed. I cant see the price while at work but I know I dont want to spend THAT much.

Yup. I hear ya.
There are three versions of Spitzing. Pedelec, Speed-Pedelec and Race-Pedelec.
S-Pedelec should be able to sustain 28-30 easily, Race- pedelec is in a different category of its own . Of course, for the price couple grand more than ST1....you might as well get a Brammo motorcycle :D

I think you should also look into Neo Nitro with a spare battery. Easily 65 miles with two batteries. Although BionX D series is great bike, that extra wide motor sticks out like a sore thumb.

My only gripe with Bosch Speed Pedelecs is that with 400Whr battery, cruising at 28mph, you won't get more than 25 miles.

Yup. I hear ya.
There are three versions of Spitzing. Pedelec, Speed-Pedelec and Race-Pedelec.
S-Pedelec should be able to sustain 28-30 easily, Race- pedelec is in a different category of its own . Of course, for the price couple grand more than ST1....you might as well get a Brammo motorcycle :D

I think you should also look into Neo Nitro with a spare battery. Easily 65 miles with two batteries. Although BionX D series is great bike, that extra wide motor sticks out like a sore thumb.

My only gripe with Bosch Speed Pedelecs is that with 400Whr battery, cruising at 28mph, you won't get more than 25 miles.

Those spitzings are $8 to 9k. Who is buying these very expensive e bikes?

When you look at the best non-electric bikes on the market..I'm guessing that the very best ebikes (surprisingly) are pretty comparable in price and perhaps why they are commanding these figures.
As for the topic...I think it gets to the point (post #5) where you want to ask everybody (point blank) before any of these conversations ever begin...how much are you willing to pay?

Add in the fact that a number of budding enthusiasts are paying far more than they should to begin with for these things...and you get the picture.

There are lots of people with lots of money to burn (look at Silicon Valley as just one source). There are new cyclists who will spend >$6K on a carbon road bike just because they can and they want to look and feel fancy, as if they are coming off the Tour. Heck, if I had a few million$ in the bank I'd buy myself whatever eBike my little heart wanted, as cost would not be a limiting factor when you have lots of disposable cash. Now whether it's worth it or not, that's a different discussion.

There are lots of people with lots of money to burn (look at Silicon Valley as just one source). There are new cyclists who will spend >$6K on a carbon road bike just because they can and they want to look and feel fancy, as if they are coming off the Tour. Heck, if I had a few million$ in the bank I'd buy myself whatever eBike my little heart wanted, as cost would not be a limiting factor when you have lots of disposable cash. Now whether it's worth it or not, that's a different discussion.

Very true.. There are a lot of hard core cyclists who buy very expensive bicycles and then and go and add $2000 CF Zipp wheels etc... I just don't know if there is a market for these hard core ebike cyclists who are willing to shell out $7-10k..

Wish them all well.. Because as you know the features and technology on expensive vehicles trickle down to the mainstream....

I don't think the main stream are the high end types, some yes but main group I don't think so. For those replacing cars it can also go 2 ways...no matter what you buy it is less than the avg new car but those that are trying to save will not want a built in GPS , a lock that doesnt stop anyone from just picking up the bike and taking it and then part it out, or software being able setting my pas level %.0005 less to gain 500 ft of distance per battery.

I can see some liking an automatic shift for example(my wife) as ebikes become even more mainstream but if it doesn't work well you will lose customers.

I maybe hung up on reliability but it has to come 1st before adding more fancy items

Mark

It's funny how prices are relative. I thought spending 4000 on an ebike was too much just a year ago. But navigating bike culture and prices in one year had me realize that prices for quality bicycles are high. 7000 pinarelli road bike or lately trying to price decent fatbike has me looking at prices around 3000 dollars.

Yeah, with all the new exotic models out there now, I can see how confusing that "parade" can be. Yes, "The basic function of the bicycle" has fundamentally changed if it is an electric bike, because we use this type of bike differently than the leg powered bikes. Before considering a particular model, first you will have to decide what you are going to use it for. Then stick to the well known and time tested manufacturers and distributors. As far as the higher end/cost ebike stuff, remember that after all is said and done, they are still bicycles. I'd have to see something really exceptional for me to justify paying exceptional prices. The feature curve is not equal to the additional cost curve in my view.

I am new to ebikes and decided to "get in" for under $1k. I don't need bells and whistles or a much higher price tag. Going from 100% pedaling to 50/50 is good enough for me. And I'll only consider bikes available through Eriks as I want to be able to ride in for local service rather than tackle it myself.

I bought my first bike this weekend... BH cycles easy motion 29er... fantastic start to the pedelec world, it certainly takes the boredom out of being on the road...! Pretty straight forward bike, not any bells and whistles from what I see, but functional and well integrated. A bit like buying a VW I suppose....

I'm not looking for a motor scooter or a sub-mini motorcycle. I'm a noob cyclist...nay... a bike rider (not even good enough to be called a "cyclist") who happens to be out of shape and middle age. Sigh.... contents may have shifted during flight, if you know what I mean.

I need help pedaling. That's it. I'm able to pedal -- just not for very long and not very far (a few miles) and not up hills very well or at all, without having to get off and walk the bike. If I were going for a walk for exercise, I think my limit would be about 3 mi, which would take me 1 hour. That's my current level of fitness.

If I could have an ebike or a bike converted to be an ebike that could give me pedal assist without having to be a big cumbersome heavy beast of a bike, that would be excellent. I don't need fancy schmacy, though I do appreciate a nice urban type bike with gearing and of course I know the lighter the bike the more $$$ it is and that's just the reality. Since I'm female I'd like a low top bar or step thu design. And forget about an aggressive position on the bike, I need more relaxed than race position.

I suspect my needs are pretty typical of others who want to get more exercise and want to be able to go longer distances (say, up to 25 or 30 mi), but don't have the strength or stamina to do more than, say, 5 (at least not without many months of training).

Back