Ok, I get it now...

Hit that - button two or three times and you’ll get your workout…. 😀
Then it is no fun to ride a heavy e-bike. A Vado loves electrons and it is fun to ride it fast.
While a slower ride on a lightweight e-bike (SL) gives more workout and feels more natural.

Compare an airliner to a glider flight. Fancy an airliner flying at 400 km/h. Doable, not practised.

Last edited:
How much do you burn on the SL? I get around 44 kcal/mi on my 5.0 IGH.
I cannot understand where you are taking such high values from?

An example Vado SL ride of 116.25 km gave reported kcal burnout of 1837, or 15.8 kcal/km. (5 h 41 min pedalling).
An example Vado ride of 170.65 km let me only burn 1274 kcal, or 7.5 kcal/km. (7 h 6 minutes pedalling).

These values have been calculated by the e-bike system (Vado/Vado SL power meter) and recalculated in Strava. In any case, the big Vado means half as effective workout as I get with my SL.

Last edited:
I cannot understand where you are taking such high values from?

An example Vado SL ride of 116.25 km gave reported kcal burnout of 1837, or 15.8 kcal/km. (5 h 41 min pedalling).
An example Vado ride of 170.65 km let me only burn 1274 kcal, or 7.5 kcal/km. (7 h 6 minutes pedalling).

These values have been calculated by the e-bike system (Vado/Vado SL power meter) and recalculated in Strava. In any case, the big Vado means half as effective workout as I get with my SL.
Just going off my Apple Watch. Example ride 2084 Cal for 47.13. Little over a 3 he ride. kcal should be the same as Cal in the US if I’m not mistaken. I’m probably screwing something up somewhere.

Just going off my Apple Watch. Example ride 2084 Cal for 47.13. Little over a 3 he ride. kcal should be the same as Cal in the US if I’m not mistaken. I’m probably screwing something up somewhere.
Well... Does your Apple Watch know you're riding e-bike? :)
Onimaru, what does your e-bike report for kcalories?

Honestly I have no idea how it calculates them. But I will say it isn’t exactly easy pedaling a 60lb bike even on Eco. Shows around 15/mile on the TCD now that I found the menu for it.

I'd take the bile computer estimate over the Apple watch since the bike has the direct measure of rider power (energy) input at the crank. Apple watch has HR and altimeter data, yet those ate more indirect.

Edit - FWIW i see around 35-40kcal/mi on my analog roadbike with powermeter, depending on route/elevation.

Last edited:
I've been riding my regular road bike all summer for fitness. It's a relatively high-end road bike with Ultegra componentry and a titanium frame so not a beater bike. The Vado is my commuting bike and since I'm a teacher and don't commute during the summer I haven't been using it.

Yesterday I got back on my new Vado 5.0 for the first time in a month or two. What was my first impression after about a 6 week hiatus? How absolutely ROCK SOLID the Vado is at high speed.

I basically live at the top of a hill and any biking I do in any direction is down hill and one section is pretty steep. I can get either bike up to about 40 mph on that downhill section. My TI road bike is all skittish and a little nerve-wracking to descend at 40 mph. I have to concentrate and be aware of every bump. The VADO is smooth as silk and more like riding a motorcycle. You don't feel the speed in the same way through the bike. It is rock solid stable at that speed and you feel like you could take more. It is probably a combination of the larger and heavier tires, full front suspension, and more upright riding position. And probably also frame geometry.

I've been riding my regular road bike all summer for fitness. It's a relatively high-end road bike with Ultegra componentry and a titanium frame so not a beater bike. The Vado is my commuting bike and since I'm a teacher and don't commute during the summer I haven't been using it.

Yesterday I got back on my new Vado 5.0 for the first time in a month or two. What was my first impression after about a 6 week hiatus? How absolutely ROCK SOLID the Vado is at high speed.

I basically live at the top of a hill and any biking I do in any direction is down hill and one section is pretty steep. I can get either bike up to about 40 mph on that downhill section. My TI road bike is all skittish and a little nerve-wracking to descend at 40 mph. I have to concentrate and be aware of every bump. The VADO is smooth as silk and more like riding a motorcycle. You don't feel the speed in the same way through the bike. It is rock solid stable at that speed and you feel like you could take more. It is probably a combination of the larger and heavier tires, full front suspension, and more upright riding position. And probably also frame geometry.

Agree. Feel the same way about my SL4. Just more 'heft' to it then my road bike. And with 38 tires gives it a real sturdy feel at high speeds vs road bike with 23s. Just a great feel and ride with Specy SL under me.

One of the new saddles arrived quickly, and it's been interesting. I've done around 60 miles on the SQlab 610 Ergolux Active 2.0 Saddle 16cm and..... I'm not quite sure how I feel about it.

This is definitely a sportier saddle than the Bontrager Boulevard I'd been using. After fiddling with the riding position, the SQLab was tolerable on a 15 mi ride. I left in the medium elastomer which came installed, will try the others as well. SQLab recommends positioning this saddle more forward than other saddles in order to take advantage of the stepped design, and once I "got" that, it feels good on the butt/sit bones. I do really like the flat nose, much less obtrusive than the traditional design.

Post-ride, I have no issues - no pain anywhere. This is a bit remarkable to me and a big +1 for this saddle.

I have observed that I'm putting more power into - or getting more power from - my pedaling. Of note:
  • I am using less wh per ride, to the tune of 10-15% decrease per ride.
  • Average assist per ride has fluctuated wildly, this will take more rides to have a sense of what's going on.
  • The 2 points above seemingly contradict one another, but I find I'm staying in Eco (capped at 40) or assist off much more.
  • Anecdotally, I try to keep my pedal pace consistent, and find that I've gained ~2mph between 80-90rpm. (Noticed this because my speed on a MUP that has a lot of foot traffic is faster than a jogger's pace.)
  • Believe me, I feel it after a ride. Again, no pain, but I'm getting more of a workout.
I believe I could live with this one, but now I'm really looking forward to the 602, which is purported to be more comfortable. I'll ride the remainder of the week on the 610 to get a better overall feel.

Likewise I've been riding my ordinary bike while on hols; A lovely 10 year old Salsa Vaya, steel framed all road bike. For me the liveness of the vaya was fantastic after the Vado SL. The Vado Sl might be super light, but still heavier then an ordinary bike. What I loved was how enjoyable it was to ride on the fairly flat roads on my holidays, rather than the up and down steep hills I usually go on at home. I was able to do 20 & 30 mile spins unassisted on the flat & without too much hassle. Last week I got home and straight away did 31 miles on the Vado SL with 3,400ft of steep climbing. I actually cut the ride short, was aiming at a 45 mile loop, but as there was a heatwave in UK I really felt it as the day got hotter. Anyway that ride though assisted was far tougher then the unassisted but flat rides. Really felt it. Obvious I guess but it showed me again how hills make a massive difference. Should add the weather on hols (in Ireland) was mild and with little wind on the days I rode making them gentle fun rides. Im not advocating my ordinary bike over the e bike BTW, I like both. 2 years ago I could not have ridden these distances unassisted. I'm pleased that I've made progress and can ride either bike. With reservations; I'm not fit enough to take the Vaya on 20+ mile spins in these hills. I do 10 milers and the hills are tough. But as I ride the Vado SL more over the autumn and winter I should also be increasing the range of the unassisted rides. And I like that, good to vary it.

Incidently I know what you mean about being rock solid on descents. I enjoyed being on the drops on the Vaya bombing downhill but it is a more skittish feeling then the Vaya SL. And the 43c Panny Gravel Kings really help the planted feel on the 20% stony lane descents.

Ok, I have dialed in the Vado, I am done fiddling.

The SQLab 602 M-D Active saddle is absolutely brilliant. Perfect for me. I'll likely get rid of the 610.

The SQLab 702 grips are absolutely brilliant. :) Perfect for me.

At this point, I am simply going to focus on riding. With the Spoon Spank bars, Chester pedals, SQLab 602 seat and 702 grips, Suntour NCX seatpost, Schwalbe Hurricane tires, the bike is absolutely perfect for me!

My daily rides are more fun, more "athletic" (more of a workout), and yet more comfortable. I simply could not be happier. I will now spend my time planning longer rides, as - for me - prime riding season is here for the next ~7-8 months. Riding 12-15mi in the heat and humidity has been fine, but the cooler temps through next spring == longer, pleasurable rides.

Ok, I lied...

Last night, I affixed the SQLab 610 to the rigid stock seatpost and did a ride with this setup.

This seat is actually awesome! On the same loop I ride weekdays, I had my fastest time, highest avg speed, lowest wh use. It was extremely comfortable, and again - no pain at all. I simply cannot get over what a difference the saddle makes - not just in terms of comfort, but in ride characteristics.

Rigid seatpost - no thanks. May just get a cheapie suspension post to reduce chatter and leave the 610 on it so I can switch back and forth between the 610 (athletic rides) and 602 (more leisurely rides), they are both superb!

Just clocked 500 miles since I got the Vado. I had one glitch - a motor error while on a rugged trail - I stopped, followed the instructions in the MC app, and kept on riding. No other issues or criticisms of this bike.

I cannot overemphasize how much I love this thing! I want to ride it every day; I love riding it practically every day, even if only 10-12 miles. I feel fantastic after riding.

With cooler weather on the horizon, I suspect my rides will be even longer. Cannot wait!

Just clocked 500 miles since I got the Vado. I had one glitch - a motor error while on a rugged trail - I stopped, followed the instructions in the MC app, and kept on riding. No other issues or criticisms of this bike.

I cannot overemphasize how much I love this thing! I want to ride it every day; I love riding it practically every day, even if only 10-12 miles. I feel fantastic after riding.

With cooler weather on the horizon, I suspect my rides will be even longer. Cannot wait!

Congrats!
My favorite accessories for new bike:
- mirror. Essential for seeing what’s coming behind you.
- suspension seat post. Huge difference in ride comfort. I love Cirrus Kinekt but others available.
Many miles & smiles!!

Congrats!
My favorite accessories for new bike:
- mirror. Essential for seeing what’s coming behind you.
- suspension seat post. Huge difference in ride comfort. I love Cirrus Kinekt but others available.
Many miles & smiles!!
Thank you, @Marci jo ! I've tried a mirror and simply cannot get used to it, and get annoyed by it. I suppose I should continue trying, or perhaps find one that doesn't shake so much.

Back