OHM XU700LS versus XS750

Operator7

Can you all give me your take on the differences? I want to hear overall differences, but specifically am wondering about the XS, which seems to have a lot more power, battery and other features, yet the XU is geared towards commuting. I want to ride a bike both for fun and commuting, but wondering how the XU is better for commuting? Also, there are no mountains where I am, and I most likely would hardly ever be doing any mountain biking.

thx

I have ridden both at the Interbike.

XS - where S stands for sport
XU - where U stands for Urban (read as commuting)

Except XU 700-165, most other variants come with fenders, lights, rack etc.
XS 750 with City kit package is ideal for both commuting and light trail riding.

Here are the positives of OHM XS 750 over Stromer ST1 platinum.

48V BionX with more nominal torque
555 Whr battery vs 514 Whr of ST1
13 lbs lighter
powerful throttle

Ravi, is the XU700 more comfortable or something? Does the XU have any advantages over the XS? It seems the XS has a lot of advantages over the XU.

thanks!

By the way, when you say "nominal torque", do you mean that the added torque is not very noticeable/helpful?

For what you describe the XU would be a better fit (it's not the LS you want to compare, it's the XU 700-16/XU 700-165 to the XS 750 that you want to compare -- the LS is a cheaper model using older/weaker BionX motor) if you are not doing any trail riding. Only real difference is fork/stem where XS would be more for trails.

I have the XU 700-165 with added accessories of city kit. It's their top of line $4200 plus $220 for city kit, so $$4440 total. I love the bike, love the high-end components, the power, and how fast it can go -- also like that it's lighter than other e-bikes (for my commute I have to carry it up a few stairs and those 15-16 lb make a difference!). It's just fun to ride, throttle is addictive, suspension makes the ride smooth, the Schwalbe big ben are an awesome ride, and the brakes can stop on a dime. There are a ton of great bikes in the $4000 range -- have fun trying them all out!

Here's my baby -- note I changed my seat to a sportier version ...

IMG_5508.JPG

Pardon my resurrection of this thread. I have same question regarding 2017 models. Urbavn or sport? Ohm has moved into my list for purchase consideration. I want the bike for a city commute so it seems the Urban is the obvious choice. But I was concerned about the totally upright ride. Talking to an Ohm rep on the phone I got the impression the Sport might be more configurable to get a less upright position. I guess ideal for me would be about 3/4 upright. Also want more bomb proof tires as being stranded with a flat in about a 2-4 mile section of my 15 mile 1-way commute could be dangerous. So the Sport has some benefits (better lighting I was told) but looks very mountain bike to me. Any opinions as to one or the other for a city commuter (given my geometry preferences and some sketchy areas I would be commuting through)? I don't see myself trail riding although my area has some gravel roads and plenty of railroad crossings.

It is too bad there aren't more action photos on the OHM website.

It does sound like the sport has the more forward geometry. But, is that worth the price premium to you?

I know it can be hard finding the Ohms to try out...but of course that would be the quickest way to meet your needs.

Do you currently have a comfortable bike that you are trying to match?

...Do you currently have a comfortable bike that you are trying to match?

Yes. I have a Spot Brand Champa. Gives me that 3/4 upright position. The test ride will probably require some (more) travel. This research can get expensive! I already booked a flight to DC for the ebike expo but doesn't look like Ohm participates. Im hoping there I can try the Treks (again), a Kalkhoff Integrale and the Stromers (and then whatever else strikes my eye). I suppose once these are in dealers I could try a drive to Toronto or Madison Wi. Assuming I can find a dealer with both available for demo.

I compared your current bike to the OHM geometry, and the measurements don't mesh up at all, so definitely recommend the test ride.

I'm also sad Ohm doesn't look to be going to DC. Another consideration..do you have a Bionx dealer near you? Might be important for repairs.

.. Another consideration..do you have a Bionx dealer near you? Might be important for repairs..
Yes, I have a few Bionx dealers. Probably closest about 15 miles. I called them and they said 'yes' can service the Bionx system.

But as far as bike build: the Ohm rep told me to find a bike shop where they could ship - and the Ohm tech could walk the bike shop mechanic through a bike build. Thus, I stopped by a local shop today. The only extent to which they deal with ebikes is their own kits/custom builds. Guy I talked to was really antagonistic to the idea of setting up something that wasn't their custom job. Sounded like they didn't want much to do with it. Tried to push me to their own kit talking about getting me 40mph - he showed me an old beat up mountain bike with a giant motor and said 'the owner rides this to work every day'. For the build, he finally said 'we'll charge $1 per minute'. That was versus their normal bike build fee of $100 flat because he said with an 'unknown system' (referring to Ohm's Bionx) they don't know what's going to be entailed. So that shop is definitely a 'no-go' for building and servicing an Ohm. If I did purchase, I think I could get the Bionx system serviced when needed but the original bike build and regular bike maintenance I still have to work on. Perhaps I'll call these Bionx dealers and see how they feel about receiving the Ohm and getting it up and running for me. But, perhaps it is better to travel to a dealer (Toronto or Wisconsin), once these 2017s are in stock, test ride, and purchase on the spot (if test ride goes well) and just transport it home.

First, find out IF those shops will have the Ohms in stock. The Ohm dealer locator isn't up to date. If they will, then that sounds like a good plan.

In the meantime you could test ride any bionx you come across. That will give you the feel for the system....leaving only the geometry unknown.

I'm in the same boat. I have a shop that can order and assemble Ohms, they just don't have any in stock to try.

Yes, I have a few Bionx dealers. Probably closest about 15 miles. I called them and they said 'yes' can service the Bionx system.

But as far as bike build: the Ohm rep told me to find a bike shop where they could ship - and the Ohm tech could walk the bike shop mechanic through a bike build. goes well) and just transport it home.

Does Velofix serve your area? They will bring a van to your place and assemble the bike. You can also get the bike shipped to them. Ohm bike isn't that hard to put together. You could probably do it yourself and then take it to LBS (even a regular bike shop) and ask them make sure everything is assembled correctly.

I think Ohm Sport has wiring for 12v lighting system which allows for the Supernova light. Looks like the 2017 Urban has Schwalbe Big Ben tires with green guard while Sport has wider Supermoto tires also with green guard. You should be able to swap out tires pretty easily on either one.

Does Velofix serve your area? ...

I looked for them after I saw Court's Sondors video. No franchises in my area from what I can tell (unfortunately). Looks like a great franchise opportunity for a good bike mechanic so maybe there will be one in the near future.

The one shop I've found locally with a mobile repair service is the same shop that is the area Kalkhoff dealer (with whom I have been discussing possible purchase of the Integrale).

Back