Odd..Mike's Bikes had orders cancelled by Specialized ???

This is the part that I don't like... even though it's a different brand they could still do something for the old customers that already used Mike's. The new company could've carried over the warranties or offered equivalent ones through them (obviously they aren't the same manufacturer but they could do the equivalent from their product lines or parts and servicing)
It couldn't be done as you suggested. The new company is a competitor to Specialized. A Specialized dealer works on warranty claims closely with Specialized. And there is no "equivalent" part for Specialized e-bikes. It has to be a Specialized motor, battery, controller, and many other specialized parts.

It is like saying Samsung could handle warranties on iPhone. With equivalent parts.

It couldn't be done as you suggested. The new company is a competitor to Specialized. A Specialized dealer works on warranty claims closely with Specialized. And there is no "equivalent" part for Specialized e-bikes. It has to be a Specialized motor, battery, controller, and many other specialized parts.

It is like saying Samsung could handle warranties on iPhone. With equivalent parts.
That makes sense. Sorry, I missed the mark on that - I forgot how unique and proprietary bike parts are these days..

Thanks for explaining that @Stefan Mikes and @kahn

I missed the mark on that - I forgot how unique and proprietary bike parts are these days..
Not only that. Companies such as Specialized, Trek, Giant, or Cannondale work on the distributor - dealer principle. Price wars between different dealers are not allowed. Any dealer is obliged to handle a valid warranty. Although you can talk to Specialized Customer Care, it is the dealer that is the first tier between the customer and Specialized. You cannot buy proprietary parts in the aftermarket. And so on and so on.

I have been working on a similar principle (another business) for many years, and I value that principle.

That’s the issue - consumers shouldn’t have to negotiate a reasonable deposit.
Consumers don’t have to negotiate anything. I’ve never negotiated a bIke deposit and I’ve never been asked to deposit 100%. Not even on a Specialized. Specialized wanted a deposit on my Creo. It was in stock. They just needed a few days to set it up. I think they wanted 20%. I put down 50%. I offered to put down a deposit on the Vado SL I bought earlier this year. Specialized just said, “no need.” “We’ll call you when it arrives,” and they did. Zero deposit.

As to a “reasonable” deposit, that is a matter of opinion. Reasonable people will disagree, even up to 100%. You’re always free to walk out or make a counteroffer if your own personal definition of reasonable differs from the shop. I’m sure you’ve been in those situations. I know I have. That’s where personal agency comes in.

Got this e-mail today, sharing.......
--------
For over 20 years, Mike's Bikes maintained a close partnership with Specialized Bicycles. We've built a strong business here in NorCal and beyond, as both of our companies have grown together.

A few weeks ago, Mike's Bikes was acquired by an amazing family-owned company in Amsterdam, and we couldn't be happier. Upon learning of this, however, Specialized abruptly terminated their relationship with Mike's. They later notified us that they would also be canceling the orders of over 400 customers who had bought and paid for their bikes in advance. They further informed us that as of October 31, they will no longer provide manufacturer warranty support through Mike’s Bikes for the many thousands of Specialized bikes that we’ve sold.

It is unfortunate and extremely disappointing that our Specialized customers are being affected in this way. This is definitely not a situation that we wanted or expected.

Our Wheelsmith Tech Departments will still be able to provide the same professional service on Specialized bikes that we offer on every other major bike brand, but for Specialized customers who need support through the manufacturer's warranty, we encourage you to contact your closest authorized Specialized dealer or to reach out to Specialized rider care directly at (877) 808-8154 or www.specialized.com/us/en/ridercareform

To our customers impacted by Specialized's cancellation of your order, we are reaching out to each of you directly to help find an alternative bike from other excellent bike brands that support us. We will work our tails off to help you find a replacement bike. If you decide to cancel your order at Mike’s and order a Specialized bike elsewhere, we totally understand, and we will issue prompt full refunds.

Looking forward, we’re excited to be able to offer a broader selection of brands in both equipment and bikes. Over the next few weeks, we will announce new partnerships with some of the best brands in the business, and we’ll be offering you more options and more selection than ever before. In the end, nothing has changed at Mike’s Bikes. We continue to be fully dedicated to helping you get the most out of your ride.

We really appreciate the support of our loyal customers, over the years and today in times of change.

-The Mike’s Bikes Team
Sounds like Specialized just shot itself in the foot.

Sounds like Specialized just shot itself in the foot.
Certainly, if I were a customer whose order was cancelled (if that's really what they did), I would not be happy with Specialized. But then again, if someone really wanted the"specialized" engineering/etc, then maybe they figure those customers will remain brand loyal and re-order elsewhere. But it certainly sounds like disgraceful behavior.

My LBS (3 stores) sells both Trek and Specialized as well as others. They work on whatever you bring in whether purchased there or not. I don’t understand Specialized‘s behavior…it makes no business sense to spurn an established network of long duration with thousands (tens) of customers. Clearly it’s not the present management since Specialized also tried to purchase the chain.

My LBS (3 stores) sells both Trek and Specialized as well as others. They work on whatever you bring in whether purchased there or not. I don’t understand Specialized‘s behavior…it makes no business sense to spurn an established network of long duration with thousands (tens) of customers. Clearly it’s not the present management since Specialized also tried to purchase the chain.

Oh, now that is very interesting.

I don't really understand. Mike and Spec are on the 'outs' and now buyers are no longer covered by a warranty? That's a lot of money owed to folks if it's true.

I don't really understand. Mike and Spec are on the 'outs' and now buyers are no longer covered by a warranty? That's a lot of money owed to folks if it's true.
I presume buyers are covered but have to now find a shop that is authorized by Specialized for warranty work.

I'm sure that if we read the details of our warranties, Specialized can do this. But somewhere amongst those hundreds/thousands of buyers is one lawyer.... So we shall see.

But somewhere amongst those hundreds/thousands of buyers is one lawyer
100% --> and if not someone is going to ask about it to a lawyer friend or post on a forum. Specialized probably has a lot of leeway with what they can do and void on warranties, but you make a great point that you guys can still probably go to a specialized authorized retailer or technician for repairs still :)

You don't understand. Any Specialized dealer will handle the warranty.

There was some bad blood between me and a company that owned Specialized and Trek stores in Warsaw. Meanwhile, Specialized Brand Store opened in the city. As I learned any Specialized LBS would handle servicing and warranty of my Vado, I went right to them. The new LBS turned out to be fully stocked, professional, and eager to work. They handled my Vado as if I bought it from them. Their attitude won my heart, and I bought a Vado SL from them later. (If they opened a month before, I would have probably bought a Levo from them).

The only sad thing is some people might have pre-ordered Specialized bikes, and now their have lost their place on the waiting list. Taken they would have got their bikes next Spring earliest, it is not that dramatic, and I think Specialized will try to help them anyway.

It is so strange to me for read so many negative comments here. One might think Americans have been used to the way the free economy works. If an enemy comes and takes some of your land, would you think your country would ever collaborate with the enemy?

Stefan…its more nuanced than friend or foe. With me It’s not so much negative as puzzling. Why inconvenience and risk antagonizing an established customer base and discard a valued (until recently) distribution channel. Good business practices have competitors at each other’s throats one month, and cooperating the next when the numbers add up. This burns that bridge down. Specialized has me wondering if their decision is rash or brash.

Works differently in America. Technically yes they are obligated. Pragmatically, you’re going to wait forever for your bike repairs, and they’re going to take the easiest route to getting it fixed without effort and labor. Meaning you’ll sit there waiting for some major part like a motor assembly because they don’t feel like troubleshooting the real cause. They’ll be smiling at you the whole time. “Another one of Mike’s bikes - give it to the intern!”

Absolutely true. One of the local shops in my area is a Specialized corporate store, but still has the same name from when it was privately owned. Great service for any Specialized customer. I’ve been to two other shops for service. No one cares where you bought the bike. They’re in business to make money and build relationships. They know what it takes to win your loyalty.

Stromer went through changes recently as well. My local dealer closed. The next dealer could not have been happier to help me. Really great service. Then he closed. The next shop was also welcoming and went to bat for me when the TCU lost 2G cellular support. He installed a 3G replacement. (Stromer, unfortunately, has some problems holding on to dealers in the US.)

Specialized’s dealer network will be more than happy to take over Mike’s customers. This is a great opportunity for them and they know it.

Absolutely true. One of the local shops in my area is a Specialized corporate store, but still has the same name from when it was privately owned. Great service for any Specialized customer. I’ve been to two other shops for service. No one cares where you bought the bike. They’re in business to make money and build relationships. They know what it takes to win your loyalty.

Stromer went through changes recently as well. My local dealer closed. The next dealer could not have been happier to help me. Really great service. Then he closed. The next shop was also welcoming and went to bat for me when the TCU lost 2G cellular support. He installed a 3G replacement. (Stromer, unfortunately, has some problems holding on to dealers in the US.)

Specialized’s dealer network will be more than happy to take over Mike’s customers. This is a great opportunity for them and they know it.
"No one cares where you bought the bike".
True, maybe, however attitude always abound.
Each dealer is an independent that can at will or discretion choose to or not have you as a customer.
I speak from real-life experience.

Got this e-mail today, sharing.......
--------
For over 20 years, Mike's Bikes maintained a close partnership with Specialized Bicycles. We've built a strong business here in NorCal and beyond, as both of our companies have grown together.

A few weeks ago, Mike's Bikes was acquired by an amazing family-owned company in Amsterdam, and we couldn't be happier. Upon learning of this, however, Specialized abruptly terminated their relationship with Mike's. They later notified us that they would also be canceling the orders of over 400 customers who had bought and paid for their bikes in advance. They further informed us that as of October 31, they will no longer provide manufacturer warranty support through Mike’s Bikes for the many thousands of Specialized bikes that we’ve sold.

It is unfortunate and extremely disappointing that our Specialized customers are being affected in this way. This is definitely not a situation that we wanted or expected.

Our Wheelsmith Tech Departments will still be able to provide the same professional service on Specialized bikes that we offer on every other major bike brand, but for Specialized customers who need support through the manufacturer's warranty, we encourage you to contact your closest authorized Specialized dealer or to reach out to Specialized rider care directly at (877) 808-8154 or www.specialized.com/us/en/ridercareform

To our customers impacted by Specialized's cancellation of your order, we are reaching out to each of you directly to help find an alternative bike from other excellent bike brands that support us. We will work our tails off to help you find a replacement bike. If you decide to cancel your order at Mike’s and order a Specialized bike elsewhere, we totally understand, and we will issue prompt full refunds.

Looking forward, we’re excited to be able to offer a broader selection of brands in both equipment and bikes. Over the next few weeks, we will announce new partnerships with some of the best brands in the business, and we’ll be offering you more options and more selection than ever before. In the end, nothing has changed at Mike’s Bikes. We continue to be fully dedicated to helping you get the most out of your ride.

We really appreciate the support of our loyal customers, over the years and today in times of change.

-The Mike’s Bikes Team
I have on more than a few occasions tried to get product information from Specialized and have never been able to talk to anyone. Their contact us form was not a solution as it takes more than two weeks to get a response and the only one time where I finally got a response it was of no use and did not answer my question. Specialized is happy to profit from sales to customers but does not want to pay to provide any level of customer care after the sale.

In the IT world people referred to Hewlett-Packard or "HP" as standing for have patience, and IBM as shorthand for I'm By Myself. With Specialized it is more like "who cares?"

I have on more than a few occasions tried to get product information from Specialized and have never been able to talk to anyone. Their contact us form was not a solution as it takes more than two weeks to get a response and the only one time where I finally got a response it was of no use and did not answer my question. Specialized is happy to profit from sales to customers but does not want to pay to provide any level of customer care after the sale.

In the IT world people referred to Hewlett-Packard or "HP" as standing for have patience, and IBM as shorthand for I'm By Myself. With Specialized it is more like "who cares?"
Ditto, completely agree and can say that Trek is 100% consumer-friendly, the complete opposite of Specialized.

Back