obsolete

It was a rainy day, so I went for a walk. As I was going past a shop I saw the Haibike Sduro Trekking S RX in a shop window. It looks way more appealing than on those Haibike catalog pics. And it’s one of the cheapest Speed Pedelecs I’ve come across yet. This bike probably won’t be offered in the US, but it really should be.

View attachment 10358

I’m rather puzzled as to why Haibike has “under promoted” this bike. .

You're puzzled that they'd rather sell you a bike that's $1,000 more?

You're puzzled that they'd rather sell you a bike that's $1,000 more?

No, I'm puzzled that they would rather have their customers flock away to the competition and lose market shares. Because the "1000 dollars more" bike ain't selling so well in the budget-concious segment. So I'm puzzled that they don't seem to get it: make a smaller profit, but sell more bikes. Or insist on selling the "1000 dollars more" bike, which is outflanked by the competition in that segment price-wise.

So it's really not about selling me a bike that costs 1000 dollars more, but more about making money and being profitable. When you have a product that fits perfectly in a given market segment, it's just plain silly not to promote it. Ford sells luxury cars, but it also sells entry-level vehicules too. Last time I looked, that didn't prevent it from heavily promoting the cars in the latter segment...

JayVee

I like the specs except for one curious thing, the brakes. More often if the rotors are dissimilar in size, the front are larger than the back, as 60%+ of a riders stopping power is accomplished with the front brake.

I have seen poorly planned, affordable bikes do this when using a lesser fork that just won't allow for a larger rotor/caliper to be mounted. That doesn't sound like Haibike though.

Is this spec correct?

• Brakes Rear: Shimano Deore XT M785, hydraulic, 180mm
  • Brakes Front: Shimano Deore XT M785, hydraulic, 160mm

JayVee

I like the specs except for one curious thing, the brakes. More often if the rotors are dissimilar in size, the front are larger than the back, as 60%+ of a riders stopping power is accomplished with the front brake.

I have seen poorly planned, affordable bikes do this when using a lesser fork that just won't allow for a larger rotor/caliper to be mounted. That doesn't sound like Haibike though.

Is this spec correct?

Good point. I was wondering about that... I think it's correct because listed as such on 2 different websites. This is a 2016 model, and Haibike's website is already for 2017. Next year both the Sduro and Xduro will have Magura MT4s, 180mm front/rear from my understanding.

For 2016, one thing is sure: the Xduro has 180mm front and rear. I will ask if a larger rotor/caliper can be added to the 2016 Sduro though.

No, I'm puzzled that they would rather have their customers flock away to the competition and lose market shares. Because the "1000 dollars more" bike ain't selling so well in the budget-concious segment. So I'm puzzled that they don't seem to get it: make a smaller profit, but sell more bikes. Or insist on selling the "1000 dollars more" bike, which is outflanked by the competition in that segment price-wise.

So it's really not about selling me a bike that costs 1000 dollars more, but more about making money and being profitable. When you have a product that fits perfectly in a given market segment, it's just plain silly not to promote it. Ford sells luxury cars, but it also sells entry-level vehicules too. Last time I looked, that didn't prevent it from heavily promoting the cars in the latter segment...

Ahh, so you see a lot of Fiesta commercials? No? They promote more expensive models?
Well that clearly can't work........................ hmmmmm

Ahh, so you see a lot of Fiesta commercials? No? They promote more expensive models?
Well that clearly can't work........................ hmmmmm

Yeah, I see a ton of Fiesta commercials. Don't see any expensive models. Guess I don't live in the right place, lol.

And it’s one of the cheapest Speed Pedelecs I’ve come across yet. This bike probably won’t be offered in the US, but it really should be.

I have to assume that in much of Europe people understand what an ebike is. You cannot make that assumption about the US. I don't know what % of the US knows what an ebike is, or that they exist. To add the 'Speed Pedelec' category into the mix is just about impossible. What people have taken in is the idea that 'you can have a 28mph ebike'. That misses some nuance. In California, they chose to put the Speed Pedelec outside the group of ebikes that are bikes. They can't go on bike paths. And then, in Utah, they let the SP ebikes go on paths but they have to obey the speed limit. Only 3 states have a Speed Ped law, and they allow 28 mph ebikes. But I think they sell them everywhere. So they aren't pure ebikes and they aren't really legal in many states, yet.

I guess there is a very hard core in the US that understands some of this. Maybe they know what a Stromer is, what a Haibike is, how Bulls may be taking share from Haibike. Given all this, I don't know what Haibike should do. Should they offer 28 mph bikes where the laws are still at the old limit of 20 mph? The drive to change the laws has stalled. There's no clarity on where e-MTB's can go and who can call themselves an e-MTB.

Seems like it's a lot easier to sell into the EU and Britain.

(They barely try to sell small cars in the US. Chrysler has stopped making almost all small cars. The Crossover, the small SUV, the big SUV, and the truck, that's it, apparently.)

In the US, the reality is that you can sell anything, anywhere and call it what you like, regardless of the legislations. Maybe Haibike doesn't want their bikes in a lawsuit if someone hurts another person with it in a local where it is "illegal".

As well as George said, the percentage of people who ride bikes for transportation is tiny overall, and very small compared to how many ride them for recreation. As nice of a bike as it is for it's intended use, people here don't get it.

JayVee

Is this spec correct?

JR,
I believe it is correct. I have seen such specs on the many bikes recently. Their 2017 model has 120mm travel instead of 65mm, which is nice!
Another welcome improvement is manufacturers picking 2.4" balloon tires instead of the skinny ones.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

@Ravi Kempaiah

I like that bike, it's a commuter style I can get on board with. You have to have something to rip off road with on the way home:) The tire/rim size makes a difference! We are fast closing in on studded tire season and size matters...more stud contact.

I have the bike for 3 weeks now and I recommend not buying it. It is a worthless piece of scheisse. After 300 km a new motor was needed. Chain came off, bolts were loose. It is my worst nightmare. If it is not at the haibike dealer I wonder what will be next. Shane though I sold my car for this.

Bummer. Sounds like there was a problem with it being put together.
Sucks but they'll get you fixed up.
My Haibike has been flawless in 2 years. its' not systemic ;)

Ok now I have 1800 km on the s*it bike, motor at 1500 km again with a crack in it. It was loose according to the dealer. So they tightened the bolts, i told them there is a torque setting, but they said 10 nm extra was no problem. The wheel they admitted was out of center so they centred it finaly by adjusting the spokes. So now i am at 1800 km and the rear wheel is cracked. Where the spoke goes into the rim, there is a crack in the rim at every spoke connection to the rim. The bike is, again at the dealer. I will be waiting what they will do now. I hope to get my money back, or the new type trekking. But it will be a new rim im affraid and then wait to the next failure, till warranty runs out. They just keep exchanging till warrenty is over, i am affraid. My advice never, never, never buy a haibike, or it is my shitty dealer.

Nice weather and no bike, i could cry...

Ok now I have 1800 km on the s*it bike, motor at 1500 km again with a crack in it. It was loose according to the dealer. So they tightened the bolts, i told them there is a torque setting, but they said 10 nm extra was no problem. The wheel they admitted was out of center so they centred it finaly by adjusting the spokes. So now i am at 1800 km and the rear wheel is cracked. Where the spoke goes into the rim, there is a crack in the rim at every spoke connection to the rim. The bike is, again at the dealer. I will be waiting what they will do now. I hope to get my money back, or the new type trekking. But it will be a new rim im affraid and then wait to the next failure, till warranty runs out. They just keep exchanging till warrenty is over, i am affraid. My advice never, never, never buy a haibike, or it is my shitty dealer.

Nice weather and no bike, i could cry...

You're living upto your handle name!
I have the Bosch Trekking S Rx and have 2300 miles. Zero problems whatsoever.

I have the Sduro Trekking S RX. The crankshaft is slightly loose after 3600 km and makes a faint ticking sound. But the shop said they would adjust it during the first revision which is free. Other than that, not much to say for the moment. It's been a good workhorse, especially considering the price was on the mellow side of things. My biggest complaint has more to do with battery size. Basically, I would need 1000Wh instead of 500Wh. It's extremely difficult for me to get more than 50 kilometres on a charge. It probably has to do with my level of (un)fitness.

"After 300 km a new motor was needed. Chain came off, bolts were loose."
2 cracked motors and a cracked rear rim at each spoke. What are you doing with this bike?
Or is the dealer really that bad that they can't set a bike up?

Back