Nyon and Rohloff e14 Forgets Start Gear Setting

Update: Keeping it short, but the crux of it is, R&M couldn't fix the old bike no matter what the tried so I've got newer Load4 bike instead. Still with a Rohloff but Kiox 500 so no Nyon. All great so far!
I would worry about it all working. Bosch is not great with the software department. I have three nyons and they all have bugs. the Bluetooth is a big one.

For sure. I feel that Bosch have given up on fixing the Nyon issues, and have moved attention to the Kiox units and future development instead. Seems like most people either don't notice or care, or simply don't have issues. I tried *everything* to replace every part, software and way of using the bike to see if we could find and fix the issues, but they just kept on occurring. At least R&M came good in the end.

For sure. I feel that Bosch have given up on fixing the Nyon issues, and have moved attention to the Kiox units and future development instead. Seems like most people either don't notice or care, or simply don't have issues. I tried *everything* to replace every part, software and way of using the bike to see if we could find and fix the issues, but they just kept on occurring. At least R&M came good in the end.
I can live with them. but I would not buy a new system yet it has its own bugs. I learned to not have my phone and HRM connected to the nyons at the same time. that took care of the Bluetooth bugs. Now my HRM always connects.

Update: Keeping it short, but the crux of it is, R&M couldn't fix the old bike no matter what the tried so I've got newer Load4 bike instead. Still with a Rohloff but Kiox 500 so no Nyon. All great so far!
So does the Kiox maintain your preferred start gear?

So does the Kiox maintain your preferred start gear?
Kiox 300/500 is ONLY a display with very little computer power. All calculations and control of the Bosch Smart system take place in the motor unit (DU).
Handling of starting gear in the E-14 takes place exclusively in Rohloff's shifting unit. I think the downshift is triggered when the speed is below a certain threshold (e.g. 5 km/h). The E-14 switching unit receives and sends signals to DU via CAN-bus communication.

Kiox 300/500 is ONLY a display with very little computer power. All calculations and control of the Bosch Smart system take place in the motor unit (DU).
Handling of starting gear in the E-14 takes place exclusively in Rohloff's shifting unit. I think the downshift is triggered when the speed is below a certain threshold (e.g. 5 km/h). The E-14 switching unit receives and sends signals to DU via CAN-bus communication.
it may well take place in the shifting unit, but it is in the display (nyon was under discussion) where the end user gets visual confirmation that the user choice for starting gear has been overridden by Rohloff or Bosch.

In my case, my choice of 4 or 5 was always replaced by 1.

This is the issue OP refers to when he says R&M was unable to fix it.

It is a feature that dealers continue to advertise despite it not working, at least not for many of us.

The Rohloff handbook says it "will automatically shift upon coming to a complete halt".

I've found that when it is working (lol), it downshifts prior coming to a halt. Which has caused me issues when rolling slowly towards an intersection waiting for a clearing of cars, the bike then tries to shift gears as I am trying to ride between a gap in traffic and seizes up the rear wheel.

How eShift made it to production is beyond me.

I've found that when it is working (lol), it downshifts prior coming to a halt. Which has caused me issues when rolling slowly towards an intersection waiting for a clearing of cars, the bike then tries to shift gears as I am trying to ride between a gap in traffic and seizes up the rear wheel.
When I first got my RM SC2 almost 4 years ago I experimented with the automatic change down. At least at that time, it was programmed to change down to the predetermined gear upon coming to a complete halt.

Despite working as intended, I found that the function was not convenient for my style of riding and so I disabled it.

I prefer to change down as I'm approaching a stop. This means I'm immediately ready for any restart or continue scenarios.

Cheers

When I first got my RM SC2 almost 4 years ago I experimented with the automatic change down. At least at that time, it was programmed to change down to the predetermined gear upon coming to a complete halt.

Despite working as intended, I found that the function was not convenient for my style of riding and so I disabled it.

I prefer to change down as I'm approaching a stop. This means I'm immediately ready for any restart or continue scenarios.

Cheers
I should have been clearer - it automatically shifts when moving at very very very low speed. Almost at a stop, but not quite. I don't think most people would be rolling as slowly as me, so would never notice the problem.

Cheers
Mine worked as intended for a short while. Then I had to reset the start gear occasionally. Then, more frequently, until it ceased maintaining my setting entirely.

Back