Nyon and Rohloff e14 Forgets Start Gear Setting

Turned the lock feature off, I'll see if that helps after a few days.

I get what you mean about the auto downshift. There is a delay, and if you catch it at the wrong time, it can result in a wrong gear selecting, and some grinding. I did get used to it, although it does annoy me from time to time when I really want to go NOW but have to wait another second or so (only really when an impatient car driver with their hand hovering above the horn gets too beep happy).

Normal shifts, regardless of gear indicator working or not, seem OK.

Have you tried the Rohloff hub calibration procedure?

Rohloff Hub Recalibration:

Hold gear shift + and - buttons down and turn system on.

After audible shifting cycles have completed release + and – buttons.

Press and hold the gear shift M button until the display turns off.

Update - yeah, turned the lock feature off, still same errors (loss of gear position, eShift randomly resetting to gear 1).

So.. it's not that.

Update: Dealer called to say he's spoken with R&M and they are shipping a part that could help. Apparently I'm not the first person to have this issue and it has been fixed in the past.

Considering we've swapped a lot of bits, we're both interested to find out which part it is..

I'll report back when the part arrives, is fitted and works (or doesn't).

Update: Dealer called to say he's spoken with R&M and they are shipping a part that could help. Apparently I'm not the first person to have this issue and it has been fixed in the past.

Considering we've swapped a lot of bits, we're both interested to find out which part it is..

That's good news. Glad you're making progress.

Hi, are you still waiting for the part? I'm considering i:sy/qio with Rohloff but wouldn't really like to experience that issue so would be cool to know if there's a proper solution.

Sorry for late updates.

R&M sent a new Rohloff E-14 shifter unit, dealer replaced it.

Same issues as before.

R&M are sending 'something else' but don't know what yet.

With the motor, Nyon, E14, CANBUS and entire motor swapped so far, all software checked and updated and still no progress, I don't know what else can be done...

May well yet need to leverage consumer law for a refund or credit as these issues are doing my head in and obv I can't see it to anyone with known faults.

Oh man, that's a shame. Something seemingly so great mechanically but software issues ruin it. I hope you are successful in getting this fixed/refunded ASAP, on the other hand I will probably stick to cheaper Shimano hubs in my search (it's not about the issue, it's about how it's being handled).

Sorry for late updates.

R&M sent a new Rohloff E-14 shifter unit, dealer replaced it.

Same issues as before.

R&M are sending 'something else' but don't know what yet.

With the motor, Nyon, E14, CANBUS and entire motor swapped so far, all software checked and updated and still no progress, I don't know what else can be done...

May well yet need to leverage consumer law for a refund or credit as these issues are doing my head in and obv I can't see it to anyone with known faults.
I can tell you that I suffered with the disappearing start gear with the original Nyon. It is not a new problem.

I think it was responsive for R&M to send you a new shifter unit, but I wonder which issue they were targeting?

It might be useful to take a poll on the start gear issue. I was always fiddling and re-setting (I went back to Touring Load60, btw). Has it worked as advertised for anyone?

Oh man, that's a shame. Something seemingly so great mechanically but software issues ruin it. I hope you are successful in getting this fixed/refunded ASAP, on the other hand I will probably stick to cheaper Shimano hubs in my search (it's not about the issue, it's about how it's being handled).
Absolutely. Stuff breaks, software has bugs, hardware fails.. but dealer and manufacturer reactions can smooth it all over. The dealer has been great, and has been helping for two years now. R&M on the other hand hasn't been so good. Rohloff (Australia) has been useless.

bet it is more of a bosch issue then anything else.
Most likely, but as is sometimes the case with any system integrator, when it comes to the crunch, who is going to diagnose and fix the issue? Seems like the dealers are left with the job, which is fine as the first point-of-contact, but they need to be supported too.

Most likely, but as is sometimes the case with any system integrator, when it comes to the crunch, who is going to diagnose and fix the issue? Seems like the dealers are left with the job, which is fine as the first point-of-contact, but they need to be supported too.
ya. Have three Nyons and they all act differently with bluetooth and such. this last update bluetooth got a bit better for the fist time in years.

Hello all. Time for another update.

Picked the bike up from the dealer yesterday. R&M had sent him a second CANBUS connector which necessitated another week at the shop while they stripped it all down and fitted the new one. A nightmare with so much wiring stuffed into such a small compartment, apparently.

Unfortunately, despite us both hoping the problem would be fixed for good, I lost gear indication twice on the ride home, both mid ride (as in, ride normally, shifting, starting and stopping; gear indicator works then disappears). Pictures attached, but you'll see the gear indicator is missing on the main page and shows - / - on another custom page.

The eShift decided to randomly default to gear 1 once today. Also set off yesterday, with no drive at all, fixed by changing the assistance level then the motor kicks back in.

In attempts to troubleshoot the issues, at various points we've swapped:

The drive unit (Cargoline)
Nyon display
Rohloff e14 shifter
Canbus adapter (twice!)

All software updated to newest possible versions on every component at the dealer. Data dumps and error logs sent back to Bosch and cleared from the bike.

Still no resolution. I think the dealer has exhausted what he is capable of doing. He is going to ask R&M what the next step is going to be.

Attachments

• IMG_2833.JPG
    IMG_2833.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2834.JPG
    IMG_2834.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 75
I have the same issue on a new R&M Homage with a Nyon display and Rohloff e14.

I've had the bike for approximately three weeks now. On the second day of owning the bike and it had lost the eShift option from the Nyon settings. After rebooting the Nyon it was back, and from then on it has randomly disappeared or set the starting gear to 1.

The Nyon does seem to be a little buggy, as I also have to reboot it every now and then so that the maps work correctly.

The Nyon does seem to be a little buggy, as I also have to reboot it every now and then so that the maps work correctly.
My Nyon had the maps and, apparently, the associated map software updated last week.

Have you received the update? Make any difference?

Cheers

My Nyon had the maps and, apparently, the associated map software updated last week.

Have you received the update? Make any difference?

Cheers
Thanks for the reminder; the update had been failing to install for the past week but I just now had success with it. Hopefully maps work more consistently now.

Back