Not getting pedal assist power, and intermittent throttle response

Cord, You keeping this updated is definitely going to help some of us others out there with the Ultra out when and if we ever have this issue. Thank you for sharing your experience and what you are doing and going through so we know what to look for in the future. Awesome stuff. I give huge props to Biktrix. I say this alot. A measure of a companies Customer Service is often gauged by how they handle issues like this and Roshan has been fantastic from what I can tell with helping you with your issue here. Kudos Roshan.

Bit of a long month and have had zero time to get back to work on my bike. So Roshan sent me a new motor under warranty. However the same problem keeps persisting. He thinks it’s something in the wiring and if have to say I agree seeing how there’s not much else. Just a gremlin I guess. I took the crankset off today and dropped the motor out.

It wasn’t super difficult and a pro probably could do it in an hour start to finish, but it took me four, as I had to make several trips to two different bike shops to get specialty tools that I didn’t know were required. One being Shimano bottom bracket extractor. The tool ended up not being exactly what I needed because it doesn’t reach the recessed cup and the collar nut that holds the Chain ring to the spindle.

There’s was some confusion since there were a few connectors that weren’t needed and were just to left to hang about. I tripled checked all of them and plug them all in properly however I’m new to this and wasn’t about to fly though it.

So at the end of this the exact problem is unknown. I was communicating with Roshan and he made it clear that he was going to ship a new bike out to me. I send the existing bike with a prepaid shipping label wherever it is it needs to go and he’s going to send me a new bike minus the battery seatpost wheels and pedals.

I’ll keep it updated as this all unfolded today as I have been too busy to get a free day to perform the work.

Attachments

• 8761747A-E9F5-4BD8-9385-5CCACBC5D3B6.jpeg
    8761747A-E9F5-4BD8-9385-5CCACBC5D3B6.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,223
  • 16A5A37B-872F-46A4-915D-FF9F319BAD0F.jpeg
    16A5A37B-872F-46A4-915D-FF9F319BAD0F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 534
  • 2733CFFC-025E-4E43-B61A-BD051D32143F.jpeg
    2733CFFC-025E-4E43-B61A-BD051D32143F.jpeg
    536.4 KB · Views: 530
Are they going to reimburse you for the tools? If you have to be the service tech and donate your time, I feel it's a reasonable request.

I don’t disagree, however I’ve got almost 5k into this bike that I’ve had for four months, and I haven’t been able to hardly use it. It’s got 150 miles on it. I just want it to work and be fixed. Something like that is valid but fairly inconsequential with this whole thing being busted.

I have a similar problem with the pedal assist. It just fades in and out. The throttle works fine. You can see the Display working it says there is no current going to the motor which is what you feel because it’s not getting any power. When you hit the throttle you see the current going to the motor And it works fine. The problem started after I got an upgraded motor with the Inotrace controller. Wattwagons sent me a second upgraded motor with the Inotrace controller and exactly the same thing. I may put back the original motor with the Bafang controller and see what happens.
any ideas?

I have a similar problem with the pedal assist. It just fades in and out. The throttle works fine. You can see the Display working it says there is no current going to the motor which is what you feel because it’s not getting any power. When you hit the throttle you see the current going to the motor And it works fine. The problem started after I got an upgraded motor with the Inotrace controller. Wattwagons sent me a second upgraded motor with the Inotrace controller and exactly the same thing. I may put back the original motor with the Bafang controller and see what happens.
any ideas?
We have 2 innotrace and they do the same thing. Perhaps this is a design feature to increase range. At least that's what we think and hence why we don't offer it. I'm not a big fan of motor cutting in and out.

I’m not thinking it’s at design flaw. especially because it is intermittent. I have a feeling it has something to do with the interface with the shift sensor. I found replacement shift sensor and the cable is less than 12 inches long but on the bike I cannot find the connection without removing the motor. I’m wondering if they did a splice in line at maybe that is the issue. I am going to look more thoroughly and Pull the motor later today. I still have the original motor and may put that back on for test.

I’m not thinking it’s at design flaw. especially because it is intermittent. I have a feeling it has something to do with the interface with the shift sensor. I found replacement shift sensor and the cable is less than 12 inches long but on the bike I cannot find the connection without removing the motor. I’m wondering if they did a splice in line at maybe that is the issue. I am going to look more thoroughly and Pull the motor later today. I still have the original motor and may put that back on for test.
Disconnect the shift sensor then and see if the issue persists.

I disconnected everything except the cable to the dispkay and same problem. I am putting the original Bafang motor/controller on tomorrow. I think the problem is one of the eight wires going to the display may have been smashed by the bike mechanic that replaced the motor the first time
Will know tomorrow

We installed the original g510 with the Bafang controller and the bicycle is working fine. I will ride some distance tomorrow but at this point I am at a loss to understand what the heck is wrong with the inotrace controller when it is mounted on my Frey CC the one other strange thing is the battery percentage was dropping by large increments with the inotrace controlle. on my last ride it went 100%-91-73-39-20- and then 5% to 0% without riding.
‘anyone have any ideas
thanks
Gary

We installed the original g510 with the Bafang controller and the bicycle is working fine. I will ride some distance tomorrow but at this point I am at a loss to understand what the heck is wrong with the inotrace controller when it is mounted on my Frey CC the one other strange thing is the battery percentage was dropping by large increments with the inotrace controlle. on my last ride it went 100%-91-73-39-20- and then 5% to 0% without riding.
‘anyone have any ideas
thanks
Gary
Best to ask Innotrace. Also, each Innotrace controller needs to be calibrated to each torque sensor.

thanks but I don’t think that is the problem. The controllers were installed in the motors by Watt Wagons. I have a lot of faith in them. I think they have already been talking to Inotrace. We will see what happens on my ride tomorrow

Rode 6 miles each way. 12 total 2000’ elevation on fire road. The battery was completely gone8%. I don’t understand. I use the throttle several times when my friend Debbie at that weren’t for more than a minute. My friend has the same bike and he can you Mac with 36%. On the bright side the pedal assist worked perfectly
I did the exact same ride three weeks ago and told my niece up at least 1000 feet on her bike and still had 46% on the battery. it’s obvious the Eno trace is way more efficient I just wish the PAS would work.

Last edited:
Back