Noseless bicycle seat--a love story

ebikemom

I started out on my ebike with a standard cruiser seat. Quickly this was not comfortable for me. I got a gel seat cover that helped some, but over 10 months and nearly 3,000 miles, I became more and more uncomfortable.

I decided to try a two-piece seat, noseless, with separation between the two seatpads. The configuration of the two seat pads was immediately better for me (and it is even adjustable!), but I wasn't sold on the noseless seat. I was used to that nose having a function in controlling the bike. I felt sort of like I was perched on a somewhat uncomfortable and insecure ledge. The seat was more comfortable in ways that mattered to me, so I decided to give it a chance despite that insecure feeling.

I now have a few hundred miles on the seat. I've fully adjusted to not having the nose, and there are things I really like about it. The main one is that with the standard seat I never really put the seat high enough. I found it cumbersome to get off quickly, and I felt insecure not being able to get my feet on the ground. With the noseless seat, this is not an issue at all. It's easy to just slide a bit down and put my feet on the ground, and just as easy to boost back the smidge needed to get back onto the seat. I love this about the seat. It's great to be able to have the leg extension I should have. Before, with my seat to low, I would stretch my legs once, or stand, in a while when I was riding. This is no longer necessary. I do stand from time to time to give my seat a break, but don't need to do it for my legs.

So, I'm a happy camper.

I read some reviews where folks with a forward lean to their riding posture may not like noseless seats because they put too much pressure on arms/hands/wrists? I don't experience this because I have an upright riding position.

Thanks for the review. I've tried several different seats, but never had the guts to try a "noseless". Might have to change my mind.

Which one did you buy exactly?

I believe ebikemom mentioned it was a Hobson Easy Seat in this thread:

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/longest-rides.27478/#post-190956

Due to a circulatory issue, I wouldn't be riding today if it weren't for the noseless split seat design. I have the Hobson, which I still use occasionally. It's reasonably priced and has adjustable pads which float independently as you pedal. Hobson makes several styles. the one I have looks like this:

110629-easy-seat.jpg

There are many makes & models of noseless seats on the market including these:

41AEGEXPNzL.jpg 61pSiaztgxL._SX679_.jpg 49300.jpg 139932__60959.1403892103.1280.1280.jpg49140808.jpg 49140808_Alt01.jpg dimension-noseless-saddle-263054-1.jpg

Some are pretty bizarre:

Touring web-2.jpg moonseat.jpg

The one I like best is the Spiderflex:

9301c5d1982bdcc7d905c83376e8165e.jpg top_view_specs_.jpg

Noseless seats require some getting used to since you are perched on top rather than straddling the seat. It's like sitting on a stool rather than a fence rail. There is some loss of thigh control of the bike when riding no hands but that is something I rarely do anymore.

Everyone's rear end is different though and unfortunately, trial & error is the only way to find one that works. Some local bike shops will let you try before you buy if you can find one.

I started out on my ebike with a standard cruiser seat. Quickly this was not comfortable for me. I got a gel seat cover that helped some, but over 10 months and nearly 3,000 miles, I became more and more uncomfortable.

I decided to try a two-piece seat, noseless, with separation between the two seatpads. The configuration of the two seat pads was immediately better for me (and it is even adjustable!), but I wasn't sold on the noseless seat. I was used to that nose having a function in controlling the bike. I felt sort of like I was perched on a somewhat uncomfortable and insecure ledge. The seat was more comfortable in ways that mattered to me, so I decided to give it a chance despite that insecure feeling.

I now have a few hundred miles on the seat. I've fully adjusted to not having the nose, and there are things I really like about it. The main one is that with the standard seat I never really put the seat high enough. I found it cumbersome to get off quickly, and I felt insecure not being able to get my feet on the ground. With the noseless seat, this is not an issue at all. It's easy to just slide a bit down and put my feet on the ground, and just as easy to boost back the smidge needed to get back onto the seat. I love this about the seat. It's great to be able to have the leg extension I should have. Before, with my seat to low, I would stretch my legs once, or stand, in a while when I was riding. This is no longer necessary. I do stand from time to time to give my seat a break, but don't need to do it for my legs.

So, I'm a happy camper.

I read some reviews where folks with a forward lean to their riding posture may not like noseless seats because they put too much pressure on arms/hands/wrists? I don't experience this because I have an upright riding position.
Thank you for sharing your experience- I also found a cruiser seat to be very uncomfortable- it might be ok for peddling around the beach, but it didn’t work for me otherwise. Right now, I’m using a Terry woman’s touring saddle, and that’s much better but not perfect. A noseless might be worth a try.

Hi all! @6zfshdb , thanks for sharing the seat I got and thread where I also talked about this. :) Yes, I got a Hobson--I got their "Easy Seat II". It's great seeing all of your collected images.

I think it's great that some bike stores have loaner seats to try. It did, however, take me many miles to move from feelings of "tolerance" to "acceptance" to "love" of my bike seat. I'm not sure if I would have bought it based on a trial of an hour or two, though I might have since the seat did quickly eliminate my pain. But I didn't realize the other benefits (especially being able to raise the seat a good 2" higher) at first, and I also didn't realize that the hardness of the seat wouldn't be much of a problem since it hits the right places--my sit bones. A bit of a gel saddle cover took care of it. Also, it was great that I didn't need their spendy two-piece gel saddle cover set, but could use my standard gel saddle.

As for standard cruiser seats--my son and I took a trip to So CA and rented ebikes a couple of times for an hour each. I could manage an hour. The second day was a bit uncomfortable due to having had an hour on a cruiser seat the previous day.

I'm very grateful for my new seat! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Last edited:
I'm glad you found a comfortable seat ebikemom! It makes all the difference between an enjoyable bike ride, or a punishment. I threw my Pedego seat in the trash years ago, and never looked back.

I believe ebikemom mentioned it was a Hobson Easy Seat in this thread:

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/longest-rides.27478/#post-190956

Due to a circulatory issue, I wouldn't be riding today if it weren't for the noseless split seat design. I have the Hobson, which I still use occasionally. It's reasonably priced and has adjustable pads which float independently as you pedal. Hobson makes several styles. the one I have looks like this:

View attachment 32478

There are many makes & models of noseless seats on the market including these:

View attachment 32474 View attachment 32475 View attachment 32477 View attachment 32479View attachment 32480 View attachment 32481 View attachment 32482

Some are pretty bizarre:

View attachment 32485 View attachment 32483

The one I like best is the Spiderflex:

View attachment 32476 View attachment 32484

Noseless seats require some getting used to since you are perched on top rather than straddling the seat. It's like sitting on a stool rather than a fence rail. There is some loss of thigh control of the bike when riding no hands but that is something I rarely do anymore.

Everyone's rear end is different though and unfortunately, trial & error is the only way to find one that works. Some local bike shops will let you try before you buy if you can find one.
I wonder I’d one of these seats with independently adjustable pads would work for someone with one leg slightly longer than the other. I think I’m having that problem with my seat height, thanks to my scoliosis.

There is independent movement, for sure, but it isn't tons of play. But as I pedal, I can feel the seat moving--as a leg pedals downward, the seat pad also tips downward a bit. There is not a feeling of instability. It's a bit of a tipping forward and back.

I think the only way to know is to try it. I don't know if stores carry these so you can try them. I bought one that was returnable, and figured I'd take it out on a ride or two and return it if it didn't work. Since it helped my pain immediately, even though it was uncomfortable (though not painful) in other ways, I kept it to give it a good try, even if it wouldn't be returnable, and, hey, it worked for me!

I wonder I’d one of these seats with independently adjustable pads would work for someone with one leg slightly longer than the other. I think I’m having that problem with my seat height, thanks to my scoliosis.

It makes sense. One of my legs is slightly shorter due to a motorcycle accident. So i wear thicker sock in that shoe, I also use various shoe inserts like Dr Scholls, and cheap thin generic brands sometimes to help even them out.

I'm going to necro this thread because I found this topic interesting.

I've been experiencing numbness in the nether regions and I do believe it's because of the nose of the seat. I've adjusted to tilt it forward but there's just no avoiding putting pressure on the boys... sometimes I have to sit back to give them a rest. I've also noticed some chafing pain on my inner thighs.

So I found one of these on Amazon (I'm not an affiliate, just the one I bought):

1598984277796.png

Tried it out this morning on a 14 mile ride and it's interesting. First off, it feels like I'm going to fall off but using it makes me realize how much pressure is on my groin area. RIght off the bat, there is more pressure on my arms and leaning on the handlebars because I don't have the nose to take off some of that weight... but that also means I'm not using the family jewels to maintain posture/control (well... uses the legs too but you know what I mean).

Another noticeable benefit is it's easier to dismount/remount... esp at lights when you have to stop. And then just standing astride the bike is easier because you don't have the seat nose poking you in the back (or lower).

If you look at the picture, I understand the curved up lip design is meant for stability, but I think it's a flaw. It should be curved down like normal bike seats so allow you to adjust your posture and position (sometimes I like to one-cheek it to give the other cheek a break).

There are pictures of others types of noseless seats above, and I think this is better:

1598984179986.png

Anyone else try a noseless seat?

I decided to try a two-piece seat, noseless, with separation between the two seatpads. The configuration of the two seat pads was immediately better for me (and it is even adjustable!), but I wasn't sold on the noseless seat. I was used to that nose having a function in controlling the bike. I felt sort of like I was perched on a somewhat uncomfortable and insecure ledge. The seat was more comfortable in ways that mattered to me, so I
not having the seat at the right height will cause pain as your hips are rocking.

I've been experiencing numbness in the nether regions and I do believe it's because of the nose of the seat. I've adjusted to tilt it forward but there's just no avoiding putting pressure on the boys... sometimes I have to sit back to give them a rest. I've also noticed some chafing pain on my inner thighs.

So I found one of these on Amazon (I'm not an affiliate, just the one I bought):

View attachment 64122

Tried it out this morning on a 14 mile ride and it's interesting. First off, it feels like I'm going to fall off but using it makes me realize how much pressure is on my groin area. RIght off the bat, there is more pressure on my arms and leaning on the handlebars because I don't have the nose to take off some of that weight... but that also means I'm not using the family jewels to maintain posture/control (well... uses the legs too but you know what I mean).

Another noticeable benefit is it's easier to dismount/remount... esp at lights when you have to stop. And then just standing astride the bike is easier because you don't have the seat nose poking you in the back (or lower).

If you look at the picture, I understand the curved up lip design is meant for stability, but I think it's a flaw. It should be curved down like normal bike seats so allow you to adjust your posture and position (sometimes I like to one-cheek it to give the other cheek a break).

There are pictures of others types of noseless seats above, and I think this is better:
i have the same noseless seat on my Fatbike i like it! the family jewels love it lol! my arms do get more of a workout but this is no problem,im currently trying to find a brown/black one for my cruiser bike but no luck so far.

In my case, a noseless seat isn't a love story, it's more of a love hate relationship. Due to circulation issues, I wouldn't be riding at all without one. I love the fact that I'm able to ride but hate the loss of control you get with a horned saddle. You are perched on top of the bike rather than straddling it.

I've tried most of the ones pictured in my post #5 above but prefer the Spiderflex.

Everyone has different needs when it comes to bike saddles. That's why there are so many on the market.

View attachment 64122

View attachment 64121

Anyone else try a noseless seat?

I feel your pain... Literally.
Sometimes I'm ready to hack off the nose of my seat mid_ride!
Which gives me an idea... I just may do that with an old saddle to see if I'm a candidate to go rodeo

In my case, a noseless seat isn't a love story, it's more of a love hate relationship. Due to circulation issues, I wouldn't be riding at all without one. I love the fact that I'm able to ride but hate the loss of control you get with a horned saddle. You are perched on top of the bike rather than straddling it.

I've tried most of the ones pictured in my post #5 above but prefer the Spiderflex.

Everyone has different needs when it comes to bike saddles. That's why there are so many on the market.

The Spiderflex looks good too except those pads might be too small for my um... sizable... hind. Do the front rails ever become an issue with pushing into your thighs?

Back