Non clumsy battery removal?

bholio

Anyone have any tips on positioning the bike for battery removal and installation where everything is stable and easy to get to? I've been struggling with keeping the bike from falling, not dropping the battery and not getting my fingers caught in the hinge. Anyone have a good way to position things?

Perhaps others will offer better suggestions, but the easiest way it seems to me is to leave the key in the locked and removed position and fold the bike and let it rest on the chain guard protector (under the crank).

Then with the bike sitting there folded and stable, insert the key and turn to the unlocked position and remove the key with one hand while holding the battery at the hinge with the other as you remove it from the frame.

Make sure you take out the little rubber plug before trying to remove the battery. So far, the 3 or 4 times I have folded and or removed the battery have been harder than it probably should have been. I'm not crazy about folding my XP...

Its clear by the design of the bottom key, and the placement of the battery...that Lectric really doesn't want you to be able to easily remove or install the battery, unlike other eBikes where the battery is external and takes about 3 seconds to take out or install...by a blind person no less. I guess they thought it looks better and is more secure by making it very inconvenient for potential looters. However a true professional won't care about stealing a battery that is useless to them. They will take the whole bike in probably under 5 minutes no matter the lock. It seems the security thing was a bit over the top with this design. Unfortunately, its more inconvenient for the owner...than it is for the person who it was intended to protect against.

IMHO I think Lectric made the correct design tradeoffs. I personally like the security of the battery within the frame as well as how it cleans up the looks of the bike (a lessor consideration for sure).

There is no effective way to protect a battery in bag design from theft. Owners have various anti-theft options for the bike itself: chains, brake disk locks etc. The manufacturer can only do so much to make it difficult for thieves. Many ebike don't even have a keylock switch for main power.

Last edited:
The reason I bought the Lectric was the stealth-ish design with the battery in the frame, and not on a rack, or in a bag etc. My google search term which got me to Lectric had to do with stealth. So, I'm willing to live with the tradeoffs, just looking for the best way to deal with it.

I was on vacation last week when I posted, with no way to bring anything other than the battery inside for charging. I also sort or arrived at the notion of doing what joyrider said. Not perfect, but livable.

Back