No more

I am relatively new to electric bikes...I would suggest your current projects as bike #2 and #3. Meanwhile you could be riding an upright purpose built bike. Then you would be having fun and riding while working on your projects.

Thoughts?

I am relatively new to electric bikes...I would suggest your current projects as bike #2 and #3. Meanwhile you could be riding an upright purpose built bike. Then you would be having fun and riding while working on your projects.

Thoughts?

I echo Grecnh's thoughts. Considering the time, effort and money involved, you could get a nice FSP bike. As the model year is coming to an end, you should be able to get good deals as well.
Unless you like DIY and have a great bike already, the return on investment on DIY stuff is pretty low.

Thanks for the kind and sound advice guys!

I do like to tinker and i am very particular about the performance and looks of my bikes so i end up spending quite a bit of money in my more often than not futile attempts to get what i wish for in a bike.

At least i learn a little in regard to what can and cannot be accomplished as far as i'm concerned.

This would be my 4th mid drive ebike and i do have a main commuter bike that works well (so far) and i'm pleased with only it is a 20 in wheel and doesn't fare all that well off road.

I was thinking of an enduro bike that would allow me to ride over rough terrain (some uncultivated fields) in order to avoid riding through a neighborhood with lose dogs that usually take all the fun out my daily commute to and

from work, and generally to avoid traffic.

If i succed, life will be better, if i fail, at least i will have gained some knowledge, although the hard and expensive way.

So far, this frame having a large diameter downtube and a 73mm BB is not best suited for the Bafang. The top bolt that holds the anti rolling clamp could rest against the frame if the motor rolls upward due to torque.

A third isue that i have wrestled with all along is mounting a front derailleur in order to keep a better chainline and also for more range. I am starting to think it is next to impossible. I was hoping a Lekkie and a 52 outer mounted

to an adapter migh work with a friction shifter. But partly due to the derailleur limitation as far as chainring sizes, partly the mounting itself i doubt i will be able to make it happen. A MTB derailleur can only go up to maybe 44T

but could be mounted with an adapter or a road dearailleur which could handle the chainrings i would like to use but cannot be mounted without some heavy modification.

I see you have some XTR components. I have read about the front derailleur thing. I believe mounting any more than 1 front chain ring will need heavy modification to compensate for the offset.
Also, such a nice bike. The battery positioning completely takes away the aesthetic appeal.

I echo Grecnh's thoughts. Considering the time, effort and money involved, you could get a nice FSP bike. As the model year is coming to an end, you should be able to get good deals as well.
Unless you like DIY and have a great bike already, the return on investment on DIY stuff is pretty low.
Ravi:

You keep making reference to year end good deals. Are you dealer affiliated and/or have interest in a bike shop? If so, you should let forum posters know that your are trying to solicit business.

Ravi:

You keep making reference to year end good deals. Are you dealer affiliated and/or have interest in a bike shop? If so, you should let forum posters know that your are trying to solicit business.

Yes, I am involved with Lenny's business.
But I'm not trying to solicit business here. Looks like he was struggling to get a quality bike and instead of getting stuck with a cheap chinese kit and losing money, he could easily get a sparsely used one and be happy.
If I was soliciting business, I would talk about selling Neo Carbon at a price higher than what I bought for and also the Topeak Bag :D

Last edited:
But I'm not trying to solicit business here. Looks like he was struggling to get a quality bike and instead of getting stuck with a cheap chinese kit and losing money, he could easily get a sparsely used one and be happy.
If I was soliciting business, I would talk about selling Neo Carbon at a price higher than what I bought for and also the Topeak Bag :D

Sent this to Len with my opinion of your ethics..............

Thanks for the heads up Ravi...it's nice when the cannibals get called out for trying to eat their own!:mad:

Well my plan didn't work out after all.
I haven't given up hope that i might be able to come up with some idea and means to mount the battery in its designated spot but for now i will live with it as it is.
Possibly one of those new batteries from Lectric with a lower profile might work. I'll keep trying i guess. It is not a complete failure but not what i envisaged.

Your bike without the "E" looks fantastic. You have carbon seatpost, Ergon saddle and grips, Smart Sam Plus tires, RockShox monarch? in the rear or DT Swiss in the front for plush riding. Lekkie chain ring, nice derailleurs.

I agree that battery positioning can be made better by putting one of those low -profile ones from Lectric Cycles.

OR you could ask Paul @em3ev to make you a battery case to fit in the triangle space.

I know man but i am extremely picky about the looks of my bikes or any other junk that i own for that matter (i like straight bars) and you can only do so much with stems before they affect the way the bike rides. Or so it seems to me.
I was unable to source a large frame in the model that i wanted and hoped the medium will accomodate the battery and i took the gamble.
I don't mind experimenting and spending whatever i can afford in order to get the bike as i wish it or as close to it as possible. If it doesn't look right (to me) i don't want it no matter how performant.
Fortunately for me i don't have any other hobbies and i live modestly so i can pump every spare dime into this project regardless how expensive it will end up. Well almost.
I was contemplating at some point getting a Spitzing M1 which looks nice but i could not live with the color scheme and i ended spending about the same amount for nothing, so far, if i don't succed.
There are many options out there but none fit my taste and requirements. So i decided to try and put one together from parts.
This one has components from a Giant Anthem and a Trance in order to increase the suspension travel and not have the motor hanging down too close to the ground and at too much of an angle. The Trance has the downtube curving horizontally before it reaches the BB and the motor has to be kind of hanging down. For my intended purpose there was enough clearance from the ground but i didn't like the way it looked.
Still waiting for the battery clamps, i had hoped they might arrive today but no gain.

View attachment 4076

I have a gorgeous 2013 Trance in the garage that I bought to convert but of course it has a 90mm bb and in the meantime I got a Haibike full seven, so it's not gonna happen. Hope to sell it this weekend.

Nope, sold it. 6 bikes and 3 motorcycles is just too much. Selling at least 2 bikes and 1 motorcycle :)
Sold the Giant, sweet bike but no sweeter than the Haibike with a vastly more advanced E setup. It has plenty of power for ME without overstressing driveline components. And feels completely bike-like the entire time. (JMO!!) ;)

Here is my ghetto solution (for now) after having had the battery ejected by the front tire.

The first time while i was trying to find an alternate route through a field which unfortunately has every 30 feet or so a foot deep/wide channel dug up, probably to collect rain and as it is radially cultivated and i ride across it i cross quite a few of these ditches. I didn't even notice i lost the battery being so stressed looking out for one of the meanest dog i have ever had the displeasure to meet which i was trying to avoid hence the off road route.
I thought it suddenly got warmer outside or the breeze had stopped but never realized i am pedaling with no power assitst. Once i passed the danger zone and stopped to allow my heart to sttele down a bit, i noticed that the battery was gone. Retraced my steps stealthly and found it somewhere near one the formentioned ditches.
The second time again riding through a greenfield and admiring the south western achitecture of some buildings, i hit a pothole sort of thing and flew over the handlebars with the same result, battery ejection.
Although i adjusted the front fork pressure stiffer and for general use i had no problems, still in extraordinary cases the tire would travel high enough and hit the battery.
So for the time being i have moved it inside the frame but i am working on a more estetic solution. It works but it is ugly.

You might want to take a look at em3ev's small triangle bag. The smaller pack is going to fit in that space and should look much more aesthetically pleasant.

Those are rubber clamps? The dolphin bracket is pretty cheesy by itself, in my opinion, when mounted using two bottle holder screws on kits. I can see where rubber is worse.

Your problem is the cables running along the downtube. How about a metal shelf that is both screwed and clamped to the down tube between the cables. Then the dolphin battery can be screwed to that shelf.

If going that route, add cable nubs to the plate so you can relocate the two cables underneath and outside the downtube. Put four more holes in your plate so it sits over the existing cable nubs. Everything can be restored to OEM later.

By the way, that's a great looking bike.

Back