Nitro 48v battery on Neo 36v bikes.

Great deal! Orbit City Bikes has a Nitro City for sale for around $3,100.00 bucks. It's like $1,200 off. It would be a good deal for me because I already have the Nitro battery. But it still seems overpriced when comparing to other fast bikes like the Izip E3 Dash, which can be had for $1800 at Wheel World!

Dont bother buying a Nitro controller to get higher speeds on Neo bikes. It does not Work. It has been tried.
You either need a Nitro battery or a battery booster pack.
Will a Nitro controller work at all with the 36 Volt battery pack. I use a Nitro battery on my Neo Carbon occasionally, but it doesn't work seamlessly. I would prefer to have the nitro controller in conjunction with the Nitro battery. But I would like to also use the regular 36V pack occasionally. Does the bike freak out with a 36v battery and a Nitro controller?

A guy from Estonia did this. The nitro controller worked fine on a 36V bike but did not give higher speeds with the regular 36V battery.

Basically, it's fast. But the range sucks. It doesn't work that well with the 36 Volt controller. I'd rather sacrifice the speed and get a 12ah battery.
Thanks for providing the information on this experiment and frankly for being the guinea pig. I have often thought about doing the same with my Neo Carbon. How bad is the range with the 48v battery. Do you feel it damages the bike? Do you think that it would work well if the controller was changed? I saw on the Electric Cyclery site that the controllers aren't that expensive. I am beginning to notice some slightly reduced range and power with my 2 year old Neo Carbon battery and have thought about basically converting it into a Nitro bike. On the other hand, this would still cost about 1,000 bucks and that would go a long way toward a new bike. What are your thoughts; from your personal experience? I would love Ravi's input on this as well!

Thanks for providing the information on this experiment and frankly for being the guinea pig. I have often thought about doing the same with my Neo Carbon. How bad is the range with the 48v battery. Do you feel it damages the bike? Do you think that it would work well if the controller was changed? I saw on the Electric Cyclery site that the controllers aren't that expensive. I am beginning to notice some slightly reduced range and power with my 2 year old Neo Carbon battery and have thought about basically converting it into a Nitro bike. On the other hand, this would still cost about 1,000 bucks and that would go a long way toward a new bike. What are your thoughts; from your personal experience? I would love Ravi's input on this as well!
I considered getting a Nitro controller. But I'm not completely happy with my Neo Carbon. It's not stable at all. Impossible to ride hands off without shimmying like crazy. I've got a Neo Race that is rock solid. So I'd actually like to keep my battery and get a Nitro City. But the price isn't quite there yet.

Last edited:
I considered getting a Nitro controller. But I'm not completely happy with my Neo Carbon. It's not stable at all. Impossible to ride hands off without shimmying like crazy. (I think I may have damaged the carbon frame with my 240lb body) I've got a Neo Race that is rock solid. So I'd actually like to keep my battery and get a Nitro City. But the price isn't quite there yet.

I've just noticed the shimmy as well. I'm not sure if it is something new or if I've just never noticed it before. Definitely pretty bad when riding with no hands. With my hands on the wheel it feels good, but it does make me wonder. I'm going to experiment with riding battery free and see if it is a motor issue, something with my front wheel, or something inherent with the dynamics of the bike. Thank you for the information. I am now considering a Neo or Evo Nitro as my next bike. I better start softening up the wife to the idea.

I've just noticed the shimmy as well. I'm not sure if it is something new or if I've just never noticed it before. Definitely pretty bad when riding with no hands. With my hands on the wheel it feels good, but it does make me wonder. I'm going to experiment with riding battery free and see if it is a motor issue, something with my front wheel, or something inherent with the dynamics of the bike. Thank you for the information. I am now considering a Neo or Evo Nitro as my next bike. I better start softening up the wife to the idea.
Maybe the Carbon frame is just too flexible for an electric bike. Probably a reason they quit making them. If I were buying a new speed pedelec, the Juiced Bike at $1500 is a good value.

I also have a Nitro battery that I use on 36v bikes.
On my Neo Race the first bar drops after 9 kilometers with the Nitro battery. With a 36v battery it drops after 15 kilomters. This is riding in boost mode.
On my Jumper that now rides with stutted tires the first bar drops after 5 kilomters. Top speed is 37 kmh with light pedelling.
TheLCD display has som glitches when going with the Nitro battery.

I never bought that Nitro engine to my US 36v Neo Xtrem, but i just ordered 48v battery + charger. I think its a good bargain because my old battery is almost 4 years old and has ≈40-50% capacity left, but the bike itself is still kicking. Battery + charger will cost me 1000 € (!) but rather that than a new bike.

HaveBlue already told hes experiences with the battery, but i will post mine anyway.

With best regards, Pallivaha

You will get less range.
Mine and I think other Nitros batteries shuts off when the second last bar is used.
When I use the nitro battery on my range I get around 50 km i range in eco mode.
Eco mode with a nitrobattery is about the same in assistance as boost with 36V batteries.
My range with Nitro in eco mode is about 13 km pr bar which eqaula about 50 km in range.
With a 36v battery I get 80 km in range on boost and over 200 kms in eco.

You will get less range.
Mine and I think other Nitros batteries shuts off when the second last bar is used.
When I use the nitro battery on my range I get around 50 km i range in eco mode.
Eco mode with a nitrobattery is about the same in assistance as boost with 36V batteries.
My range with Nitro in eco mode is about 13 km pr bar which eqaula about 50 km in range.
With a 36v battery I get 80 km in range on boost and over 200 kms in eco.
Might I suggest a Nitro controller as well. There will be a larger step down between assist levels. And the display will show the true battery percentage.

Do you have a Nitro controller yourself.
I don't have a Nitro controller. So really I'm just guessing that a nitro controller would make the 48V battery experience better. If I were to keep my Neo Carbon and continue using the 48 V battery, I would get the controller. I'm hoping it doesn't have the same shimmy issues as the Neo Carbon. And I'll have two Nitro batteries to play with.

Personally, it's not worth the risk to put a 48v Nitro battery into a 36v NEO bike for the reasons Ravi stated. Go with a 12ah battery, unless you need extra torque and speed. If you want to put a 48v Nitro battery in a NEO just remember you know own a "kit" bike w/o a warranty. For some that's fine, but for most it's too much risk. Take that from someone who has been modding motorcycles, cars and other toys for over 30 years. It's a heap of fun, but you do so often with considerable risk ($$$ and safety). Just because something appears to work, doesn't mean it will stand the test of time.

What I have to often remind folks is that we are talking about bicycles here. If you can't get up a hill w/o more effort than whats needed on one of our bikes, it might be time for a motorcycle or scooter. Having measured a 730w continuous output at full boost on our "350w" motor, I'd say by most folks standards, that's pretty decent. Maybe that's why I have outclimbed a Specialized Turbo, Lapierre Bosch mid-drive mountain bike, Currie E3 Peak, and Stromer Elite on our 650b Jumper and with more comfort. Anyway, everyone has to find what works best for them.

Will technology improve, absolutely! Will battery capacity and motor efficiency also improve, certainly. When that happens I hope to be the first in line. In the meanwhile, there are some great choices our there, so find (or build) the best bike for you...and enjoy the ride seeing as today is all we have!

Peace.
Hey Undercover bro are you still on this forum ,I have a question for you ?

Vern, you can rest assured you will be able to get batteries for NEO bikes for years to come. At the point that we make the decision to no longer produce them should we do so, we have contracted with a 3rd party to repack your battery with fresh Samsung 18650 cells. By design, we have done our best to future proof the BH/Easy Motion line of ebikes. You don't succeed for over 100 years by looking the other way when your valued customers expect to enjoy their bikes for many years to come.

It's one of the things that sets us apart, and the main reason I work for BH.

Also, if you compare our battery prices to our competitors, you will find that our prices are very competitive and in most cases less expensive.

48v 9ah batteries are available for sale now!
Hi !!
I’m trying to get a Neorace 36V battery charger
Any available for sale ??
I have a 48V charger but can’t use it on my 36V battery
Or if somebody want to trade ?
Please let me know

Thanks

SDVictor

Back