Newbie (sort of) from SW Ohio

RobertG

At 71 yrs of age, retired for last 10, and serious Road Biker for last 22, a recent bout with Prostate Cancer over last 9 mos (now cured) plus the onset of two arthritic knees, has slowed me down to the point of frustration. So I have retired my Trek Domaine SL Carbon Fiber road bike (18.5 lbs) and purchased my first eBike. As I was unable to keep up with my regular group of 13-15 mph riders over our typical 25-30 miles rides
a few times a week, and complaining about the many rollers to significant hills in SW Ohio, I swallowed my pride and purchased a 2020 Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0 (56 lbs!) and took delivery yesterday. See pic. Got in my first ride today with a fellow Trek Verve 2 eBike buddy and road 24 fairly hilly to flat inaugural miles. Wow! What hills? Absolutely unbelievable.! I still pedaled every mile and still got a good workout. But the Haibike really “flattened” those hills! Think I made a great decision. We winter in the Bradenton/Sarasota area of Florida and hope my 800 plus member bike club won’t give me too much grief about my new ride! 😂

Attachments

• AF3ADE04-BF4F-43C1-AA05-29E70ACFA442.jpeg
    AF3ADE04-BF4F-43C1-AA05-29E70ACFA442.jpeg
    654.1 KB · Views: 285
At 71 yrs of age, retired for last 10, and serious Road Biker for last 22, a recent bout with Prostate Cancer over last 9 mos (now cured) plus the onset of two arthritic knees, has slowed me down to the point of frustration. So I have retired my Trek Domaine SL Carbon Fiber road bike (18.5 lbs) and purchased my first eBike. As I was unable to keep up with my regular group of 13-15 mph riders over our typical 25-30 miles rides
a few times a week, and complaining about the many rollers to significant hills in SW Ohio, I swallowed my pride and purchased a 2020 Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0 (56 lbs!) and took delivery yesterday. See pic. Got in my first ride today with a fellow Trek Verve 2 eBike buddy and road 24 fairly hilly to flat inaugural miles. Wow! What hills? Absolutely unbelievable.! I still pedaled every mile and still got a good workout. But the Haibike really “flattened” those hills! Think I made a great decision. We winter in the Bradenton/Sarasota area of Florida and hope my 800 plus member bike club won’t give me too much grief about my new ride! 😂
Wow, sounds like me, Live in Auckland and have a regular bike group, 73, survived Prostate Cancer but Parkinsons for the last 6 years has really slowed me down (until) after years of touring round the world, purchased a Giant ExploreE4 GTS. I can now keep up with my wife. :). Like you I was totally blown away with the smooth ride and able to have a great workout and high cadency rate. Congrats and hope the knees are good.

My eBike has brought my biking life back to the forefront as well, at age 65. Been riding over 2 months now, about 1500 miles but I still remember my first ride’s experience being much like yours. I know you will enjoy it as much as I do!

Welcome Robert to EBR. Your stories and photos will be an inspiration to those older folks and people who have suffered temporary setbacks and sometimes lifelong disabilities. I’m approaching 75, have survived prostate cancer and most recently throat cancer. Some people would hang it up and say I’m too old and it’s time to settle down. I always enjoyed biking and ebiking now, has given me a second opportunity to do what I always enjoyed, but with a little help. Keep on riding and enjoy every moment you get. Good Luck to you.

Back