Newbie introduction and some general questions...

CKCanada

Hi everyone,

I'm Christian and new to the whole world of ebikes. Living in beautiful Vancouver BC, I started some research on ebikes last Monday, went for a test ride on Wednesday, and bought an ST1 Elite on Friday. I got hooked immediately and for commuting it's just perfect. In less than a week I put 200km on the bike with a huge smile in my face. Right now I am taking the charger with me every day and try to figure out the range I can get out of a full charge in all different modes. I did some reading here as well and yesterday I bought the Planet Bike fenders (saw images of them on another thread here) and installed them. It doesn't look that pretty but it's working fine! Thanks to cable ties ;-)

After riding for a week I just have some general questions and hope that someone here takes the time to give me some answers:

- the bike doesn't have a cover for the charging port on the bike. Does it usually come with one? If not, what's the best to cover it?

- where the cables from the handlebar go into the frame to the battery compartment.... do I have to worry when water gets in? Driving without fenders would surely get a lot of water in there and the battery would get soaked. Or am I wrong here? Should I cover that up too in any way?

- any difference in charging the battery in the bike or taking it out to charge? Is any of these methods faster/slower or better/worse for the battery?

- I try to keep my charge always at or close to 100%. I mean, I'm trying out how far I can go but over night or at work I charge it up again, instead of leaving it at 30% and then just start charging it when down to 15-20%. Is that good or should I let it get to a lower % once in a while?

- Recuperation mode: I had it set to 50, which really slows you down a lot. I set it back to 15 which still slows me down a bit, but not too much, so I can still have a fast descent on a steep road while charging the battery.
Am I correct in saying that I can regenerate the same energy when I am set to 15 on a 500m downhill road as when I am set to 50 on a 200m downhill road, for example? Trying to figure out what regenerates most and fits my style of driving the best.

I think that's it for now, thanks for any advice ;-)

IMG_9948.jpg

IMG_9949.jpgIMG_9950.jpgIMG_9951.jpgIMG_9952.jpgIMG_9953.jpg

Hi, welcome to ebike s. I have same fenders on my hybrid and used zip ties also on front, My fender keeps rubbing tire so need to put a bolt to make more secure. When I charge my. St2 stromer I remove the battery . Don't know about bike plug in door on an St1, but if chargers plug is magnetic , I would get something to slide on plug end so you don't inadvertently touch poles of battery with something stuck on end. I love your city. Did you know Endless-sphere.com store is there ? Supposed to be lots of bike shop s near them. Went grocery shoppin with trailer yesterday. Rode great ! Saw at least 30 other bicyclist s! Austin has really got onboard.

Hi Robie, and thanks for the info. Never heard of "Endless-sphere", will look it up. The fenders work great, no rubbing at all. Mounted them with 2 screws in the back and 1 in the front, the rest is being held together with cable ties ;-)
For all the rest of my questions, I guess I'll find out by myself. Some had a look at this post but they must be really busy or have no idea either. Enjoy your ride!

Hey, I'm in North Van. Nice bike! I'm sure some ST owners will be able to help soon sadly I am not one.:confused: Happy commuting though.:D

Pretty sure the charging port should be covered. Just so we know what you are talking about...maybe a picture?

Don't know about the battery regeneration, although I did see where Ann said a lower regeneration will recoup pretty well, while the higher regeneration doesn't recoup that much more, but is more effective at braking.

I doubt recharging is faster/slower whether on the bike or not...

Glad you are enjoying your bike :)

Hi everyone,

I'm Christian and new to the whole world of ebikes. Living in beautiful Vancouver BC, I started some research on ebikes last Monday, went for a test ride on Wednesday, and bought an ST1 Elite on Friday. I got hooked immediately and for commuting it's just perfect. In less than a week I put 200km on the bike with a huge smile in my face. Right now I am taking the charger with me every day and try to figure out the range I can get out of a full charge in all different modes. I did some reading here as well and yesterday I bought the Planet Bike fenders (saw images of them on another thread here) and installed them. It doesn't look that pretty but it's working fine! Thanks to cable ties ;-)

After riding for a week I just have some general questions and hope that someone here takes the time to give me some answers:

- the bike doesn't have a cover for the charging port on the bike. Does it usually come with one? If not, what's the best to cover it?

- where the cables from the handlebar go into the frame to the battery compartment.... do I have to worry when water gets in? Driving without fenders would surely get a lot of water in there and the battery would get soaked. Or am I wrong here? Should I cover that up too in any way?

- any difference in charging the battery in the bike or taking it out to charge? Is any of these methods faster/slower or better/worse for the battery?

- I try to keep my charge always at or close to 100%. I mean, I'm trying out how far I can go but over night or at work I charge it up again, instead of leaving it at 30% and then just start charging it when down to 15-20%. Is that good or should I let it get to a lower % once in a while?

- Recuperation mode: I had it set to 50, which really slows you down a lot. I set it back to 15 which still slows me down a bit, but not too much, so I can still have a fast descent on a steep road while charging the battery.
Am I correct in saying that I can regenerate the same energy when I am set to 15 on a 500m downhill road as when I am set to 50 on a 200m downhill road, for example? Trying to figure out what regenerates most and fits my style of driving the best.

I think that's it for now, thanks for any advice ;-)

View attachment 9610
View attachment 9613View attachment 9616View attachment 9619View attachment 9622View attachment 9625
The charging port does not have a cover. I have had zero problems with the port without a cover.

I live in Wichita KS lots of rain the water ingress is minimal. No problems thus far.

I have expirienced no difference in charging on or off the bike. The one thing I will say is the door lock block fell off and I had to re glue it back on. The rails and the battery guides wear each time you take the battery out of the bike. If I had a choice I would charge on the bike to limit the wear.

The recommendations I have been given is to ride your battery to zero for the first three charge cycles. The try to keep the charge no leer than 20% and only charge to 80%. I do neither...ride her till she is empty then charge her full. Don't leave the battery very long <20% and unplug your charger at the next opportunity when full...don't leave it plugged in for days.

Regen is of limited value...I have mine set high and use it for breaking...not sure I get much charge????

Not sure if that helps...ST1 is bullet proof. Charge it and ride!

Pretty sure the charging port should be covered. Just so we know what you are talking about...maybe a picture?

Don't know about the battery regeneration, although I did see where Ann said a lower regeneration will recoup pretty well, while the higher regeneration doesn't recoup that much more, but is more effective at braking.

I doubt recharging is faster/slower whether on the bike or not...

Glad you are enjoying your bike :)

Hi Berry,

thanks for the input, here are images of the charging port while charging and without the cable plugged in:
IMG_0017.jpg
IMG_0018.jpg

I was just worried that water could get in and destroy the port.... guess I should just keep using it and find out ;-)

The charging port does not have a cover. I have had zero problems with the port without a cover.

I live in Wichita KS lots of rain the water ingress is minimal. No problems thus far.

I have expirienced no difference in charging on or off the bike. The one thing I will say is the door lock block fell off and I had to re glue it back on. The rails and the battery guides wear each time you take the battery out of the bike. If I had a choice I would charge on the bike to limit the wear.

The recommendations I have been given is to ride your battery to zero for the first three charge cycles. The try to keep the charge no leer than 20% and only charge to 80%. I do neither...ride her till she is empty then charge her full. Don't leave the battery very long <20% and unplug your charger at the next opportunity when full...don't leave it plugged in for days.

Regen is of limited value...I have mine set high and use it for breaking...not sure I get much charge????

Not sure if that helps...ST1 is bullet proof. Charge it and ride!

Hi Grench,

and thanks for the info!!!!
I guess I'll leave the port as is and find out what happens. If something happens....

The Regen, as I see it so far, is really just to be set to each one's liking and that's it. Do I want more breaking from the engine or more rolling and using the breaks to slow down....

I am using the bike every day and right now I charge it every 2nd day, when the battery is down to about 25%. I'd rather carry the charger with me and plug it in when needed before I get to 0% and have to paddle the 60 pound bike ;-) When charging at the office I leave the battery in the frame, when charging at home I take the battery out. Maybe I'll start to just charge at work and leave the battery in at all times....

I'll put more kilometres on the bike, get more experience and keep following this forum.

Thanks a lot and have a great ride everyone!!!

I went back to check Court's review, and I think his bike looked the same. The newer Stromers (or different models) appear to have covers. Double check with the company, but for now I have to say Grench is right. ;)

I would also be nervous about that port..hopefully there is some sort of internal waterproofing..

Charging either way is equivalent. The adapter has no electronics, its just adapting one connector to the other. Personally I'd rather have less wear and tear on the receiver socket for the battery by removing it constantly. It looks to be difficult to replace - and expensive, as opposed to an XLR bulkhead style connector for the side of the downtube.

Biggest thing for battery life - don't let it deep cycle, or run down completely. Keeping it topped up is better for longer life.
Doesn't have the memory issues of older formula rechargables, but is sensitive to deep discharge.

Wish there was a cover as well. Just got my bike Friday, and first thing that came to mind for me too. Seems like an oversight.

I keep the charger at the office now and only charge there, without removing the battery. Vancouver is back to "Raincouver", the bike was ridden in strong rain and through big puddles. I just dry the connector on the downtube a bit with a paper towel and wait for about 30 minutes before I plug in the charger. All good so far.
These days I'm using the bike for commuting and the battery power never goes below 40% and is completely recharged on a daily basis. Interesting to see for how long the battery can handle that. I guess I can be happy if it'll last for about 1.5 years...

While you should avoid charging your battery to 100% on a regular basis Justin at Grin Technologies says in this video that there isn't any evidence that going to 0% will harm it. So there's no real harm in going below 20%. And frankly, on an e-bike it is nearly impossible to completely drain the battery from riding alone since the battery voltage drops under the relatively high current draw and you will hit the low-voltage cutoff before you can completely drain the battery. Keep in mind that completely draining a battery flat (with a continous low current draw for example) is the worst thing you can do to the battery. Fast forward the video to 23:00 for the part about charging.

Last edited:
Stromer's tech support page for the ST1 battery has this information:

• You can fully recharge the ST1 battery after every journey. This increases the service life of the battery and ensures that you are always prepared for the next ride.
  • There is no need for you to run down the battery every time - there is no memory effect.
  • Top up your battery charge as often as possible.
  • Do not let it run down to empty and recharge it even if it has only been in use for a short period of time.

Back