Newbie from Tiburon, CA

TiburonH

Region
USA
Hi all- thanks for letting me join your forum. I made great use of it as a non-member while I was sorting out what e-bike and what accompanying gear to get. I ended up deciding to totally splurge and have purchased a new Riese & Muller Homage with the works (double battery, HS, Rohloff, etc.) It's due to be ready for me to pick up sometime next week. This will be my first bike in many, many years. I used to road bike here in Marin, but I gave it up in large part because I just didn't enjoy huffing and puffing my way up the many big hills that every route seemed to involve. I've been doing spinning for the past several years, but ultimately that is just too boring, so I decided it was time to get back out on the roads and trails -- but this time with the comfort of knowing that I can (at age 69) rely on turbo mode to make the hills fun too. I'll probably have some stupid newbie questions to ask of you as I get started on this; thanks in advance for your patience with me.

Welcome to EBR TiburonH. My wife and I want to avoid cars and thus went with mountain bikes for trails and fire roads. I just looked up the Homage - nice bike. Actually our first ebike experience ever was renting Pedegos and going over to Angle Island with friends for a day of riding.

At any rate, not that far away. We might have to put something together sometime.

Welcome to EBR TiburonH. My wife and I want to avoid cars and thus went with mountain bikes for trails and fire roads. I just looked up the Homage - nice bike. Actually our first ebike experience ever was renting Pedegos and going over to Angle Island with friends for a day of riding.

At any rate, not that far away. We might have to put something together sometime.
Thanks Merle. I don't envision ever bombing down single tracks, but I'm hoping to be able to do reasonable
trails and fire roads on the Homage. It's got a full suspension, and I'm getting it with the Schwalbe Johnny Watts tires. I'm sure I have a steep learning curve ahead of me, but maybe in time I'll be able to join you!

welcome! i believe there are quite a few of us in the general area, i ride all around southern marin, sf, the east bay, etc.

the homage is an impressive bike! i'll be really interested to hear how it fares on big road rides and trails.

here's my heatmap of bay area rides this year, you'll surely notice some familiar rides around you! (white through red, road, shades of blue, gravel)

heatMapNovember2022.jpg

Hi all- thanks for letting me join your forum. I made great use of it as a non-member while I was sorting out what e-bike and what accompanying gear to get. I ended up deciding to totally splurge and have purchased a new Riese & Muller Homage with the works (double battery, HS, Rohloff, etc.) It's due to be ready for me to pick up sometime next week. This will be my first bike in many, many years. I used to road bike here in Marin, but I gave it up in large part because I just didn't enjoy huffing and puffing my way up the many big hills that every route seemed to involve. I've been doing spinning for the past several years, but ultimately that is just too boring, so I decided it was time to get back out on the roads and trails -- but this time with the comfort of knowing that I can (at age 69) rely on turbo mode to make the hills fun too. I'll probably have some stupid newbie questions to ask of you as I get started on this; thanks in advance for your patience with me.
Hi! Glad you've splurged if it means you still get to spend time on a bike. We recently rode our road bikes across the Richmond Bridge for the first time. I didn't realize how much I missed biking in the North Bay.

welcome! i believe there are quite a few of us in the general area, i ride all around southern marin, sf, the east bay, etc.

the homage is an impressive bike! i'll be really interested to hear how it fares on big road rides and trails.

here's my heatmap of bay area rides this year, you'll surely notice some familiar rides around you! (white through red, road, shades of blue, gravel)

View attachment 108295
Love your heat map! I can only hope to cover all these trips in the coming months. I live along one of these routes -- the "Paradise Loop," and will begin my journey there.

Hi! Glad you've splurged if it means you still get to spend time on a bike. We recently rode our road bikes across the Richmond Bridge for the first time. I didn't realize how much I missed biking in the North Bay.
I am very much looking forward to riding across both the Richmond Bridge and the Golden Gate Bridge!

I am very much looking forward to riding across both the Richmond Bridge and the Golden Gate Bridge!
Welcome. I lived in Tiburon and then Strawberry for many years. Now I am up in Petaluma. If you go over Horse Hill it is easy to get to Larkspur Landing and take your bike on the SMART. This opens up day trips and adventures to the North. Is the R&M from The New Wheel, Mike's or Mad Dogs? I can understand the Rolls Royce appeal for a first electric bike. I was the same way and have gradually gravitated toward lighter weight builds finding that less is often more. Sweet ride!

Thanks! Love your "handle." Yes, I am getting it from The New Wheel, right there at Larkspur Landing. And thanks for sharing the great idea of using SMART to get up to rides in Sonoma! I'll definitely check that out.

Thanks! Love your "handle." Yes, I am getting it from The New Wheel, right there at Larkspur Landing. And thanks for sharing the great idea of using SMART to get up to rides in Sonoma! I'll definitely check that out.
A group does rides from the Petaluma Theater District every Thursday morning just after the train arrives from the South. Sometime go to maps and look up 1000 Wilson Hill Road, then check it at street level. Look for how it connects with Chicano Valley to the West, and Helen Putnam Park, then to the French Cheese Factory in the other direction. The single lane road on the North side of Sonoma Mountain to Glen Ellen is extraordinary. Having an electric bike opens up more possibilities. The New Wheel is a great choice. Congratulations.
1638395864452.jpeg

Attachments

• 021821ChVal.jpg
    021821ChVal.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 148
  • 05202101.jpg
    05202101.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCF7009 (2).jpg
    DSCF7009 (2).jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 141
Fantastic! Thanks for sharing. Once I feel l've learned how to ride properly, I'll try to join one of these Thursday excursions. Cheers!

Back