Newbie from the UK

Antbrewer

My name is Anthony Brewer. I came across this site and forum earlier today and immediately decided to join. Just been approved by the boss ( whoever he is ) so here I am.

I have recently bought an ebike. Whilst touring in the Austrian alps last September 2019 on my Ridgeback touring bike I realised that things were not as easy as they were the previous year also in the Austrian Alps. I struggled to say the least going up the high passes. I need a touring bike with some help attached.
Hence after much research I have purchased a Cannondale Synapse Neo 1 . Wonderful

Congratulations on your bike, and welcome to the forum!

Just curious, but if you're using your bike for touring, how do you plan to handle charging your battery? And since it's very unlikely that you'll get a full day of riding (especially with hills and luggage!) out of one battery, will you be carrying a spare or two (adding to the weight you carry)?

A photo of your bike would be nice.

Welcome - That Cannondale looks like a beautiful bike.

When one has spent so much time on a road bike, it is sometimes difficult to accept the lower efficiencies of mountain bikes, trekking bikes, commuter bikes, etc. Not to say that they don't have their place (especially with e-assist systems), but my Raleigh Tamland iE road/gravel bike still puts some of the biggest smiles on my face during a ride.

I hope you enjoy many happy miles on your new Synapse Neo. Yeah, none of us are getting any younger but pedal assists can at least make us feel younger again!

Congratulations on your bike, and welcome to the forum!

Just curious, but if you're using your bike for touring, how do you plan to handle charging your battery? And since it's very unlikely that you'll get a full day of riding (especially with hills and luggage!) out of one battery, will you be carrying a spare or two (adding to the weight you carry)?

A photo of your bike would be nice.
Good morning Mtl Biker,
Thank you for your welcome to this forum.

Touring with an ebike.??????
Well I think that my camping days are over as it is many many years that I went cycle camping so I now happily resort to B&Bs and guest houses. Charging the battery would be no problem here as the battery is removed and charged in the room. In my research prior to buying the Synapse I knew I had to get a bike with a removable battery as there are a few really sound bikes where you cannot remove it and therefore the whole bike would have to be next to a socket. Could be very limiting.
The idea of carrying a 'spare or two' in my luggage is not something that would ever happen at all. Ridiculously heavy and expensive. I intend to ride this bike as I do my touring bike. That is only using the motor as and when I need to. It may be a heavier bike than my ridgeback tourer but I really don't notice the weight. It freewheels like the clappers so to speak. The balance and geometry is superb and on my daily runs of 20 to 30 miles at the moment I still try to limit the use of the battery as I want a workout going up the hills as much as I can.
I understand that many folk have the motor on the lowest setting all the time which is obviously fine and up to them but that is not for me. If I were to use all the battery on a run then I would just have a 'normal' albeit slightly heavier bike. My wife bought herself an Ebike early last year and rides hers in a totally different way to my riding. At the slightest incline she turns on the motor and away she goes ( with a little voice as she passes me 'see you at the top'' . She often does. She sees no point in sweating away when there is no need and a motor to use. I am sure that many couples drive their cars differently especially changing gears ( with manual gears). Exactly the same with us two in the car and on our bikes.

We are off out for our daily exercise shortly .(10.45 am here in the UK) We are in this wretched lockdown situation like so many parts of the world. From our own point of view it hasn't affected us too much. Obviously all the clubs and activities we normally enjoy are stopped but we have a wonderful garden to relax in and we are enjoying some lovely weather. we are allowed out once a day so it is on the bikes we go.

Anthony

Welcome - That Cannondale looks like a beautiful bike.

When one has spent so much time on a road bike, it is sometimes difficult to accept the lower efficiencies of mountain bikes, trekking bikes, commuter bikes, etc. Not to say that they don't have their place (especially with e-assist systems), but my Raleigh Tamland iE road/gravel bike still puts some of the biggest smiles on my face during a ride.

I hope you enjoy many happy miles on your new Synapse Neo. Yeah, none of us are getting any younger but pedal assists can at least make us feel younger again!

Good morning TMH
Thank you for your kind words. So far having had the bike for 6 wks I have thoroughly enjoyed riding it. It purrs along and is a pleasure to be out in our lovely countryside especially so at this time of lockdown with the Corvid 19.

You mention 'age' in your post. I was 72 this April but a young 72 I think anyway. 10 yrs ago I had a massive spinal tumour in my lumbar spine which after lots of chemotherapy , radiotherapy and total love and support of my wife Alex ( she has also had breast cancer) I have come through. Having always been an outdoor person and coming from a cycling family I cannot imagine not being able to cycle. I have been a long distance walker over the alps and all over the UK but due to my damaged spine walking is far more painful and difficult. Happily having a bike that fits me perfectly I find cycling very doable after some analgesics. So there we are.
I have recently lost a friend of 35 yrs who was a yr older than me. However he thought of himself as an old man on reaching 65 and then it was downhill from that point. Not me. Hopefully plenty of life left in me and my battery on the cannondale.

Pleasure to 'talk' to you.

Anthony

Anthony, as I can see your Cannondale is a road bike. How do you carry your luggage on your trips (because you certainly must have some)?

Anthony, as I can see your Cannondale is a road bike. How do you carry your luggage on your trips (because you certainly must have some)?

Hi Stefan
When I was deciding which bike to buy two requirements were that it had to have mudguards (or fenders if you call them that) and also the provision for a pannier rack to be fitted on the back. The cannondale has such provision. There are on the front forks a threaded bolt for the front fenders and a removable bridge on the back forks to attach the rear fenders. Brilliant.
My dealer fitted this free of charge which was very nice of him.
I will post an image at some stage
Anthony

Hi Stefan
When I was deciding which bike to buy two requirements were that it had to have mudguards (or fenders if you call them that) and also the provision for a pannier rack to be fitted on the back. The cannondale has such provision. There are on the front forks a threaded bolt for the front fenders and a removable bridge on the back forks to attach the rear fenders. Brilliant.
My dealer fitted this free of charge which was very nice of him.
I will post an image at some stage
Anthony
Anthony,

What's that expression about two countries separated by language... something along those lines. :)

Anyway, as far as I believe, fenders and mudguards are two different things. Many bikes come with fenders, but rarely with mudguards. My Explore E+1 GTS came with fenders, but I found that even with them, the front wheel threw up way too much road debris... mud, water, sand, etc. which would get on the motor housing, chain and my shoes. So I made my own custom (or bespoke as you'd say) mud guard for the front fender.

i-fXWN9Sh-X3.jpg

fenders and mudguards are two different things.
Heh, I think you mean mudflaps, mudguards is the word used for fenders in UK English. I like your home made version, these leather one's from Velo Orange look similar, they also come in extra long. I do like these PDW fenders with long rubber mudflaps that truly wrap around the wheel.

Last edited:
Good morning TMH
Thank you for your kind words. So far having had the bike for 6 wks I have thoroughly enjoyed riding it. It purrs along and is a pleasure to be out in our lovely countryside especially so at this time of lockdown with the Corvid 19.

You mention 'age' in your post. I was 72 this April but a young 72 I think anyway. 10 yrs ago I had a massive spinal tumour in my lumbar spine which after lots of chemotherapy , radiotherapy and total love and support of my wife Alex ( she has also had breast cancer) I have come through. Having always been an outdoor person and coming from a cycling family I cannot imagine not being able to cycle. I have been a long distance walker over the alps and all over the UK but due to my damaged spine walking is far more painful and difficult. Happily having a bike that fits me perfectly I find cycling very doable after some analgesics. So there we are.
I have recently lost a friend of 35 yrs who was a yr older than me. However he thought of himself as an old man on reaching 65 and then it was downhill from that point. Not me. Hopefully plenty of life left in me and my battery on the cannondale.

Pleasure to 'talk' to you.

Anthony
Keep those wheels turning a body in motion tends To stay in motion

Hi
That is certainly my intention.

I show a photo I have just taken to clarify Mudguards / fenders and mudflaps as we describe them here in the UK.
Plus it shows what a lovely looking bike I have!
View attachment 52248
Anthony
Hello Antbrewer. I also have a Cannondale Synapse Neo 1. I like what you have done with the fenders and the front bag. Might I ask what front bag you have? I have a smaller bag but will want something larger eventually. I see that you tweaked the controller position slightly, as I have for my smaller front bag. I just got a rear rack, but have not attached it yet. I should fit perfectly, though. I plan on maybe an overnight or two, but no really long tours. I have 2100 miles on my bike after abouut a year of riding, and normally use Eco mode or Tour mode for the power assist. The longest ride I have done is 100 miles with 3500 feet of climb. I used mostly Eco with some Tour mode to ride with my husband on his e-trike. He used 2 batteries, but I had about 20% left at the end of our 100 mile ride. Enjoy your touring; I hope to hear how you are doing.

Good morning Senior-Gal
Wow what a shambles you have in the USA at this moment. Probably best not for me to voice my opinions on your elections?????

I have an Altura bag on the bars which fits perfectly. Not sure a larger one could be fitted due to the width of the drops. I had to move the controller along the bars and a little more upright to make viewing a little better.
I haven't cycled as much as you have (sadly) this year having only done 1000 miles or so as I try to use my tourer as well. Now the winter is setting in maybe the weather will further limit my rides. Hopefully not.
There are specific screw threads on the rear for a rack so you won't have any problems fitting one. Come the spring and with no lockdown ( hopefully) in place I do intend to try out cyclecamping again . I will buy a lightweight 2 man tent and give it a go. I did it as a youngster but I am now 72 but with an urge to try it. My wife will not cyclecamp but insists I 'live my dream' . So who knows? The world might be quite a different place next year. The way things are happening in the states at the minute it is bound to be,
Dear oh dear.!!!!!!
I know you are a sensible lady because you bought the same bike as I did. ???????
Lovely to 'talk' to you.
Anthony

Good morning Senior-Gal
Wow what a shambles you have in the USA at this moment. Probably best not for me to voice my opinions on your elections?????

I have an Altura bag on the bars which fits perfectly. Not sure a larger one could be fitted due to the width of the drops. I had to move the controller along the bars and a little more upright to make viewing a little better.
I haven't cycled as much as you have (sadly) this year having only done 1000 miles or so as I try to use my tourer as well. Now the winter is setting in maybe the weather will further limit my rides. Hopefully not.
There are specific screw threads on the rear for a rack so you won't have any problems fitting one. Come the spring and with no lockdown ( hopefully) in place I do intend to try out cyclecamping again . I will buy a lightweight 2 man tent and give it a go. I did it as a youngster but I am now 72 but with an urge to try it. My wife will not cyclecamp but insists I 'live my dream' . So who knows? The world might be quite a different place next year. The way things are happening in the states at the minute it is bound to be,
Dear oh dear.!!!!!!
I know you are a sensible lady because you bought the same bike as I did. ???????
Lovely to 'talk' to you.
Anthony
Hello, Anthony
Shambles is an understatement for what is happening here! I fear for our democracy which has been 'thrown under the bus' the last 4 years...and may be still under the bus during the next 4. Sigh...
Moving on... and the great part is that we CAN be moving on...our Cannondales! My husband and I did a lot of cycle camping in our younger years, but I think that might be over. But, there is no reason that we can't ride from town to town to stay in B&Bs or other lodgings; and we are tempted to do that when the weather warms up next season. A couple of years ago on our regular bikes, we rode the Kancamagus Highway in NH up and over from North Woodstock to Conway and back the next day staying in a motel in Conway overnight. That was 37 miles each way with one big climb and one big descent each day; it was fun and 'riding the Kanc' is considered a rite of passage for NH cyclists. It would have been much easier with e-bikes and a better way to carry some extra clothes and gear! It is nice to look forward to doing new/old things now that we have e-bikes that are taking total exhaustion out of the equation. My husband has an ICE e-trike because he has some problems with balance. The trike is rather inefficient, so we don't go very fast even with power, but we can cover more distance and cycle two days in a row now that we get some help with the hills.
I am looking forward to hearing about your Cannondale adventures.
I will look into the Altura bag - thanks for the tip.
Lovely to 'talk' with you, too, Anthony.
Brenda

Just a quick word. The bar bag is an Altura Arran model. In the UK around £50 to £60.
From your opening sentence in the above reply I could tell immediately that you are a sensible lady!
I had no idea what the Kancamagus Highway was so I googled it naturally. Wow what beauty in the autumn (fall for you) there is. I think one's brain might explode with the colours.
Take care on the roads.
Anthony

Welcome Anthony, nice to have another Cannondale on the forum, Nice bike and it looks like the perfect choice for your use.

sit back, relax and enjoy looking at the glorious sunshine photos in the rides section, us Blighty blokes can only dream of such days ;););)

Thanks for the model of the Altura bag! I found it online in the US for about the same price. Haven't ordered it yet, though.
Yes, we had a spectacular fall this year with the color lasting much longer than usual for some reason. The mountains have been lovely!
Question: Have you had a flat yet? My first and only flat so far was about a mile from home when I ran over a piece of glass which caused an instant flat tire. Ah...no problem...I will just change it. HA! I got the rear wheel off all right, then could NOT get the tire off the rim as the bead was seated so tightly. After some struggle with tire irons, thumbs, shoes, and various tools in my bag I called my husband to come help. He came and was able to manhandle the tire off the rim, which wasn't easy even for him. Then we got the new tube in and pumped it up with my mini-pump, as he had forgotten to put our floor pump in the car. It was weird, the tire had plenty of air pressure, but the bead would not seat on the rim leaving this strange bulge (actually a dent) in the tire. We put it back on the bike thinking that as I rode the bead would seat itself. WRONG! After about 100 yards, I just turned around, and lump-lumped my way home. Using the floor pump at home, I could over-pressure the tire to about 110 psi and it finally 'popped' a couple of times and the bead seated on the rim. Then I reduced the pressure to the proper amount. Apparently, these 'tubeless ready' tires and rims make it really difficult to dismount and remount a tire! Have you had a similar eperience?
My new method, honed in my living room, is to remove the tire by laying the wheel on its side, then standing! on my minitool which I have carefully placed on the tire next to the rim. This provides enough presure to pop the bead. Then all goes well until trying to seat the bead after 'fixing' the tube. I used a little dish detergent along the rim to make it slippery, then using my new somewhat-more-powerful mini-pump, pump the tire up to 80 or 90 psi which has worked to seat the bead. I am now 80% confident that I could do this procedure while out in the 'wilds', but am not happy about having to do that. I am now carrying a micro-bottle of detergent as part of my tool kit. I guess many people who are not used to fixing minor problems on the road just call someone to come pick them up. Or they may just be stronger.
I'm spending the day paying attention to my health by ignoring political news...
Stay safe,
Brenda

Slightly off topic Brenda but a CO2 inflator would help reinflation after tyre removal, faster inflation tends to pop the beads in quicker.

Back