Newbie from Bellingham, WA

Kayakguy

I started out biking as a kid (like most of us) when we had nothing but one-speeds and coaster brakes. Schwins, mostly, but I had a 24"Columbia, which I outgrew in 6 months. Together with my pals, we rode all over SW Portland in our quest for adventure. A buddy and I used to ride up to Lewis & Clark College for swimming lessons from the life guard. We fantasized about "English 3-speed racers," but none of us ever owned one.

Moved to Chelan in 1952, but did little biking there, as it was too easy to walk everywhere.

Sporadically took to biking in subsequent years (have been in Bellingham since '67), and did motorcycles and maxi-scooters for a while, but my main sport has been sea kayaking since 1984. Most of that has been on the west coast of Vancouver Island, but also Alaska, Baja, Belize, Australia, and of course the San Juans.

Then, during the last year, my lovely bride and I have been biking weekly with a young grandson at a local park. And one thing led to another, until I got swept up in the ebike mania. My first ebike is an Ariel C-class. A bit too tall for me, but replacing the suspension seat post with a rigid, plus a sprung seat, pretty well fixed that. I like to be able to put both toes on the ground. I aimed for a step-thru (great marketing, by the way, so guys don't have to ride a "ladies" bike) because I was finding it challenging to swing a leg over high panniers plus the seat. As my dad used to say, growing old ain't for sissies.

I have to wonder, how ancient is the oldest e biker on this forum? I may have to sign on for that competition.

Welcome to EBR Kayakguy, I’m nearing 75, and I know there are older members here. That would be interesting to know who the older members are. Good question.

Good for you kayakguy, and a big Happy Birthday. In a short survey, so far you win. Come on all you other senior riders, jump in to let us know who the leader of the pack is.

Back