New XP Lite...

myers830

I have already seen 2 YouTube reviews on this new eBike from Lectric. The things I actually like about it...1) single speed, no shifter/derailleur. I find this OK because on my XP I never shift the gears as I don't have to worry about large hills. 2) No fenders is OK as I don't ride in the rain or in mud plus my fenders rattle or vibrate too much on bumps and I am always adjusting or tightening them. 3) Handlebars are closer to the rider. 4) Lighter is huge for me because I rarely fold my bike anymore unless I have no choice as it isn't really easily portable like I would like. 5) Narrower tires is OK as I really don't care for the 4" fat tires truth be told. 6) More color choices. What I DON'T like...1) Smaller battery, 2) Knobby tires (prefer smoother, less road noise). 3) No step thru model, 4) Smaller motor.

I have already seen 2 YouTube reviews on this new eBike from Lectric. The things I actually like about it...1) single speed, no shifter/derailleur. I find this OK because on my XP I never shift the gears as I don't have to worry about large hills. 2) No fenders is OK as I don't ride in the rain or in mud plus my fenders rattle or vibrate too much on bumps and I am always adjusting or tightening them. 3) Handlebars are closer to the rider. 4) Lighter is huge for me because I rarely fold my bike anymore unless I have no choice as it isn't really easily portable like I would like. 5) Narrower tires is OK as I really don't care for the 4" fat tires truth be told. 6) More color choices. What I DON'T like...1) Smaller battery, 2) Knobby tires (prefer smoother, less road noise). 3) No step thru model, 4) Smaller motor.
I don't need one of these, but I really like this bike as an overall package for most of the same reasons.. I think Micah (Electrek) said the motor actually peaks at 750 watts, which seems like plenty for the majority of hills. My only real departure from your list though is about the tires. I like knobby tires for my riding environment. While I prefer a step thru, I've climbed aboard 20'' tire bikes easily. I am curious about the stand over height though on this thing.

Lectric deserves a lot of credit for well thought-out compromises to make this bike affordable, and the lighter weight makes this one truly portable, which is an important variable often overlooked by first time e-bike buyers.

Last edited:
I'm surprised they didn't go belt drive... can't be much more expensive than single chain and as other makers have shown, doesn't have to be Gates brand name.

I was hoping they would make a standard diamond frame light ebike but this makes sense with their brand.

Is it me or are the value priced ebike makers lowering their prices? Seems like a lot more offerings in the $800-$1500 space.

I'm surprised they didn't go belt drive... can't be much more expensive than single chain and as other makers have shown, doesn't have to be Gates brand name.

I was hoping they would make a standard diamond frame light ebike but this makes sense with their brand.
Belt drive would be the icing on this cake, but there is a lot to like here as is.

Still, there's a lot of disappointment and negativity on the public Lectric FB owners group about this Lite, and even from one of the Youtube reviewers I just listened to. I maintain that the naysayers are missing the point of the Lite. One frequent criticism of the Lite is that the XP 2.0 offers much better value (extra stuff) for $200 more. For my money, even at the same price point, I'd take this hands down over the original XPs: A) The Lite is truly portable. B) Handling is likely far more athletic and nimble. It's tough to ride a heavy 1.0 or 2.0 without PAS or throttle (a real problem with a dead battery). I imagine the Lite ride is more akin to a regular bike without the motor engaged. C) Its simplicity should require less maintenance and offer greater reliability. D) While I love the kick of PAS, the single speed demands a little more energy and effort from the rider, which in my mind is one of the rewards of riding.

I can understand why some original XP fans are thumbs-down on the Lite. It's a different beast altogether, but one that appeals to a different kind of rider.

Last edited:
I predict the XP Lite will be their best seller and it won't be close in a couple of years (once the current XP1 and 2 owners opt to get the new Lite. Not to mention new low cost buyers who can't afford $1000 eBike. I put my XP1 up for sale 5 minutes after their web site went live for the new model. It checks several boxes for me (lighter by FAR, more nimble by FAR like a real bike, no need to shift, and so much easier to maintain and own up front. Not to mention other colors besides B/W (boring). Kudos guys.

I agree... the XP Lite is a great casual, entry level city (ie mostly flat) fun/commuter bike that you can transport without a bike rack (and for most eBikes, you need a heavy duty bike rack).

Edit: I meant you can transport *without* a bike rack.

Last edited:
I predict the XP Lite will be their best seller and it won't be close in a couple of years (once the current XP1 and 2 owners opt to get the new Lite. Not to mention new low cost buyers who can't afford $1000 eBike. I put my XP1 up for sale 5 minutes after their web site went live for the new model. It checks several boxes for me (lighter by FAR, more nimble by FAR like a real bike, no need to shift, and so much easier to maintain and own up front. Not to mention other colors besides B/W (boring). Kudos guys.

I predict the XP Lite will be their best seller and it won't be close in a couple of years (once the current XP1 and 2 owners opt to get the new Lite.
I'm old enough to remember when bottled water became "a thing" back in the late 70's and early 80's. I thought at the time, "who the f*** would pay for water"? Thus, I realized over time that I'm not good at predicting the consumer appetite for stuff. On the other hand, the first time I rode an e-bike in 2008, I absolutely raved about it, and was confident they would become a big deal. I was right about that, but I just didn't think it would take almost a decade to really take off, or that the market would be dominated by heavy fat tire bikes. Go figure.

All the reviewers on Youtube and in print are comparing the Lite to the previous XP's, which is totally understandable given the namesake. Still, it's an apples and oranges comparison. The Lite is much closer to the Propella Mini I purchased as a 2nd bike for myself to share with family and friends (although one of the youngins' in my clan has been riding it, and she's not giving it back so fast). I like the Mini a lot. It's light, quick and agile. At least on paper though, I'd still give this new XP Lite the edge on points. Both have their share of limitations, but the Lite has slightly better range and perhaps a more robust motor (although those wattage numbers are fudge-able, so hard to say for sure). The Lite also folds and has a throttle (although neither of these features are critically important to me). The Mini scores points for being lighter still at 33 lbs. but it remains to be seen how much the extra 13 pounds weighs down the Lite as a practical matter when riding. Right now, the Lectric is priced $100 less, so there's that. Both Lectric and Propella offer a 2nd battery option for $249, but I believe the Propella battery weighs half as much.

I compared the Mini because it's probably more useful than contrasting the Lite with its bigger and bulkier siblings. (I wrote my detailed impressions of the Mini on the Propella section of this forum). I'd like to see more reviews of the Lite that compare it with actual competitors in this class.

Last edited:
I bought a Lectric a couple of years ago. Rode it for a few months and gave it to my son. He modified it. Front suspension, new handlebars etc. It's no longer foldable. Would I buy another folder? Not sure. At 63 lbs folding unfolding is a lot of work for a 64 year old. Would I like a 45 lb folder? Ehhh

Would I buy another folder? Not sure. At 63 lbs folding unfolding is a lot of work for a 64 year old.
I think it's a lot of work for anybody. Perusing the Facebook Lectric comments section about the Lite, current owners say the Lite is strictly "for kids", or it's for "old people". I don't agree with any of that. I'd recommend the Lite over the original XP's to anybody at any age. Personally, I want to ride a bike that feels like a bike, not a Moped.

One big feature I missed or overlooked earlier is the 48V battery capability, which presumably makes the Lite punchier in real world riding conditions than its 36V competition, and 48V is rare in this category or price range.

The link goes to a plain spoken explanation of the differences:

https://hd-ebike.com/blogs/36v-vs-48v-e-bike-battery-which-one-is-the-best/

"Personally, I want to ride a bike that feels like a bike, not a Moped". BINGO, it can't be said enough that riding an eBike that feels like the bikes we grew up on is a HUGE endorsement in my view. The original XP which I have is like a tank compared to the new Lite version. There is NOTHING nimble about a 65#, fat tire eBike. I was watching the KevCentral review of the new Lite version and he really drove this point home and surprisingly he liked it so much over the Version 1 and 2 models(which he raved about years past)...that he is buying the new Lite version himself (and we all know these top shelf reviewers get free bikes to review). To have him actually put his money where his mouth is...says all I need to know. My only concern...after the last 3 years with Lectric, does anybody really believe them on the 4 week delivery?

Last edited:
As the very happy owner of two XP 2.0 st bikes (bought just before Christmas 2021) I am thoroughly confused by the philosophy behind the introduction of this bike. Why?

--Non-kiddos who ride this bike will want fenders to avoid puddle soaking
--non-standard battery
--people will want a rack
--no gears, so no hills and no faster cruising possible
--no suspension a giant step backwards.

On the flip side we have a somewhat-lighter ebike, and I frankly don't care about the tire size either way. How critical is weight with eBikes? Not very, in my opinion.

I personally see this as an ebike with very limited appeal. But I have to believe that the Lectric folks did their homework and sensed a need to fill a particular market segment. If they are correct, kudos to them, as their vision is sharper than mine. If not, the bike should and will go away. Give the customer what he wants.

I'm seriously thinking about buying this thing... It would make an awesome commuter bike. My favorite thing is the weight. Folding is great but if it weighs 75 pounds then it doesn't matter ❤️

Here we go again...Lectric just updated shipping dates to 5-6 weeks if you order today (which if history shows is more like 8 weeks). Same old story, different year.

There is a lot to like about that Luna Eclipse, especially for the price. Powerful motor, big battery, and Gates belt drive! Still, it would likely be a non-starter personally, since I suspect it's a heavyweight (especially since Luna leaves it off the specs as far as I can see), and having experienced two 20"x4" (Ecotric and Lectric 1.0) I would never want fat tires again, inasmuch as I fully understand their appeal. Perhaps Lectric does have something like this in the works for a future incarnation of the XP. Who knows.

Again, comparing the new Lite with this Luna or the XP 1.0 or 2.0 is like me asking why people would want a cat, when they can have a dog.

Last time I checked, there were 150 ebike brands and counting. Most of those brands have different models for different niches in the marketplace. We all have different priorities. Personally, I went through a somewhat costly* learning curve before I even knew what I cared about and wanted in an ebike.

*(The only saving grace has been the supply shortage. I was able to sell two bikes on the marketplace in short order, and got back the lions share of what I paid new).

Last edited:
@Doggyman1202 The Luna Eclipse is 55 lbs per their website:

SPECS​

• MOTOR: Bafang Hub with 21 amp controller
  • DISPLAY: Black and white with graphical interface
  • DRIVETRAIN: Gates Carbon Belt CDX 55t Chainring 20T Rear Cog (single speed)
  • BATTERY: 48V 14AH MJ1 672WH
  • CHARGER: 48V BARREL 2.5A smart charger
  • FRAME: Aluminum alloy with folding design in polished aluminum clear coated or powder coated black
  • TIRES: Big Boy Fat 20X4 1/4
  • FORK: YDH 4'' travel - coil spring with adjustable compression and lockout
  • REAR SHOCK: Coil shock with 4'' travel (150mm eye to eye 45mm stroke)
  • BRAKES: Mechanical Disc Brake Tektro
  • STEM: BMX style 50MM
  • BARS: BMX style with 8 inch rise
  • CRANK ARMS: square taper 170MM
  • PEDALS: Nylon Folding style
  • WEIGHT: 55 pounds

Back