XP Lite Modified

Got everything installed and went for a test ride. I initially used the limiting screws on the derailleur to adjust chain line alignment using the middle ring (34T) and got the chain alignment spot on. I added a short cable so I could use the barrel adjuster for more tuning. In the next few days Ill test the outer (42T) and inner (24T) sprockets to see how they work.

bjqcTnz.jpg

Hi Shark413,
Me again.
I noticed from your photo's that you might be able to install a front derailleur on yer lil' beastie. It would be kind of like a 3-speed in reverse. Ya just never know. Sometimes it pays to think outside the box.
I also noticed that you/your wife seem to like carbon fiber, as shown on the stem riser. That being the case, you folks might be interested in these carbon fiber items:

Riser handlebar:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800442274337.html?
This handlebar is awesome in appearance. You can measure the width of your current handlebar and then go from there. I have it (31.8mm x620mm(24.4 inches wide) ) installed on my new cargo ebike, but I have added so much crap to the handlebar area that taking a decent photo isn't possible.

Aerodynamic seat post:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832592807814.html?
I bought the 400mm long GLOSS (not matte) version (25mm equals 1inch)..
And, of course, the aerodynamic shape of the seat post will enable much higher speeds. Or not. I have a combo of it (seat post), a carbon fiber saddle, and a unique suspension item, set up as a “groupo”. I just swap out entire assemblies, be it crank set/chain ring/pedals stuff, or saddle/seat post stuff. Too much fun.
The AliXpress website photo's do not do the carbon fiber items justice.

I also use this 145mm long adjustable stem: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256801425987506.html?
It's not carbon fiber, but it does work just fine and dandy.
Items ordered via AliXpress usually take 14 days to arrive at your front door. But, ya can't beat the price and ya can't beat the low, low shipping cost. I buy ALOT of neat crap from that website.

I hope to post a thread over on the M2S Forum within the next few weeks. It will concern my new (40 days ago) 2023 ScoutCargo ebike. I already have 1,300+ really fun kick butt miles on it. I had a heck of a dilemma choosing between it and the LECTRIC EXPEDITION but, in the end, logic/common sense (at least in my situation) prevailed. I'll go into detail on that information on that upcoming M2S thread posting.
LaterTater

Hi Shark413,
Me again.
I noticed from your photo's that you might be able to install a front derailleur on yer lil' beastie. It would be kind of like a 3-speed in reverse. Ya just never know. Sometimes it pays to think outside the box.
I also noticed that you/your wife seem to like carbon fiber, as shown on the stem riser. That being the case, you folks might be interested in these carbon fiber items:

Riser handlebar:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800442274337.html?
This handlebar is awesome in appearance. You can measure the width of your current handlebar and then go from there. I have it (31.8mm x620mm(24.4 inches wide) ) installed on my new cargo ebike, but I have added so much crap to the handlebar area that taking a decent photo isn't possible.

Aerodynamic seat post:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832592807814.html?
I bought the 400mm long GLOSS (not matte) version (25mm equals 1inch)..
And, of course, the aerodynamic shape of the seat post will enable much higher speeds. Or not. I have a combo of it (seat post), a carbon fiber saddle, and a unique suspension item, set up as a “groupo”. I just swap out entire assemblies, be it crank set/chain ring/pedals stuff, or saddle/seat post stuff. Too much fun.
The AliXpress website photo's do not do the carbon fiber items justice.

I also use this 145mm long adjustable stem: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256801425987506.html?
It's not carbon fiber, but it does work just fine and dandy.
Items ordered via AliXpress usually take 14 days to arrive at your front door. But, ya can't beat the price and ya can't beat the low, low shipping cost. I buy ALOT of neat crap from that website.

I hope to post a thread over on the M2S Forum within the next few weeks. It will concern my new (40 days ago) 2023 ScoutCargo ebike. I already have 1,300+ really fun kick butt miles on it. I had a heck of a dilemma choosing between it and the LECTRIC EXPEDITION but, in the end, logic/common sense (at least in my situation) prevailed. I'll go into detail on that information on that upcoming M2S thread posting.
LaterTater
As always thanks for the info. Having a little trouble getting the chain line to work with all 3 sprockets. I can get the middle (34T) and Outer (42T) to work but when I try the inner (24T) and middle (34T) the chain angle up front is to far out and causes issues with the derailleur rubbing or the chain coming off the rear sprocket regardless of what I do with the derailleur adjustments. Also there is a lot of slop in the derailleur, which I don't know if its from the budget construction or defective. I ordered a hanger adapter which will allow me to use a regular Shimano derailleur (XT or XTR) I have laying aorund to see if that helps. I also have another 3 ring crank set that has a chainline that puts the sprockets a little closer to the frame which should help the chain line on the inner sprocket, but it does not come with a chain guard which I wanted to retain for my wifes safety.

Have you considered going with just 2 chainrings: a 28t(or 30t) and a 42t? The 28/30 would split the difference between the 24t and the 34t. Seems like that would work OK.
Also, if you do decide to stay with the 3 chainring setup, the Deore XT/XTR long cage derailleur should handle the 24t-to-42t span just fine.
This stuff is too much fun.

Have you considered going with just 2 chainrings: a 28t(or 30t) and a 42t? The 28/30 would split the difference between the 24t and the 34t. Seems like that would work OK.
Also, if you do decide to stay with the 3 chainring setup, the Deore XT/XTR long cage derailleur should handle the 24t-to-42t span just fine.
This stuff is too much fun.
I think a 2 sprocket crank set would be perfect. Do you know where I could get one? The only thing I can think of is taking a 3 sprocket crank and remove one ring. The problem i am having is getting the chain line to work with 3 rings. Seems the angle is too much for the rear sprocket to handle.

Here ya go:
https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Altus-FC-M311-Bicycle-Crankset/dp/B002I7K5LC/ref=sr_1_11?
I looked for a 165mm (length) crankset, but no such luck. The above unit has the square taper hole, the outer chain guard, and 42t/32t/24t setup. Just look at the 24T inner ring as an "inside" chain guard instead of another(3rd) chainring.
You could also consider your current triple crank setup in the same light: outer 2 rings for chain usage.. Inner ring for protection (just don't use it.). Also, make the "e" part of your ebike work in your favor.

Here ya go:
https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Altus-FC-M311-Bicycle-Crankset/dp/B002I7K5LC/ref=sr_1_11?
I looked for a 165mm (length) crankset, but no such luck. The above unit has the square taper hole, the outer chain guard, and 42t/32t/24t setup. Just look at the 24T inner ring as an "inside" chain guard instead of another(3rd) chainring.
You could also consider your current triple crank setup in the same light: outer 2 rings for chain usage.. Inner ring for protection (just don't use it.). Also, make the "e" part of your ebike work in your favor.
Sic Puppy, I have that crank set and the issue is the chain line of the inner sprocket is offset to the inside (towards the frame) too much for the derailleur and rear sprocket to handle and there is no easy way to space the sprockets in or out. I have a 3 sprocket crank set that has removable sprockets and I can use spacers to move the sprockets slightly. Ill try that next but I really would like a 2 sprocket crankset that was adjustable.

Yes, the spacer remedy(use washers) should work. I've used that option on numerous occasions. I even have a little bag of those washer spacers in my crank nut/bolt/etc box.
I can't believe that I didn't think of that earlier. SO, yes, go for it. As for the outer chain guard: use an outer spocket (42t, etc, like the one I linked earlier) with the built-in guard.. Doing so will give you some extra space on your chainring bolt that can be used by those washers. Eazy Breezy. Works like a charm.

My issue is it takes a lot more effort to get started (peddling) [...cut...] with the 52t stock gear. It is particularly difficult for her when starting out because it takes a lot of effort (with the tall gearing) to get moving then the PA kicks in which can be a surprise/problem for a novice cyclist.
Not sure if the Lite has this feature, but a very simple and effective solution is to enable the throttle to work from a standstill. It can be set by modifying the settings in the controller, no new parts. I recently enabled this on my XP1.0, and it is a huge difference. Almost like a new bike. 0 cost, 2 minutes effort.

Not sure if the Lite has this feature, but a very simple and effective solution is to enable the throttle to work from a standstill. It can be set by modifying the settings in the controller, no new parts. I recently enabled this on my XP1.0, and it is a huge difference. Almost like a new bike. 0 cost, 2 minutes effort.
Can you elaborate on this? Stock The XP Lite like most XP's when in mode 1 or higher you can use the throttle to get moving, I understand this and it is a good option for a novice rider to get moving. My issue was with PAS off the bike is hard for my wife to get moving with the stock 52T sprocket.

I missed the part where you said you were riding with PAS off.

My XP 1.0 would not start from a dead stop with the throttle only until I activated that setting. I guess the lite comes programmed different than the XP 1.0.

I recently discovered that my newest toy, a 2023 M2S(brand) ScoutCargo ebike, has that exact same requirement (PAS"0" equals No Throttle Power). I originally thought that something was amiss.

Now that I have put more wheel time on my Modified XP Lite I wanted to pass on a few of my observations. First the lower gearing (42T vs stock 52T) does improve torque and the ability to get moving with PAS off. There is a drastic reduction in top speed and at first I thought the increased pedal torque and reduced top speed would be better for my novice wife. But the trade off in start off pedal torque to reduced top speed wasn't working for us. Using the throttle to get moving was working out for my wife and the higher top speed was better for both of us as well (the wife could keep up better when we both go out on rides and I like the XP Lite better with the stock gearing when I ride it). So I removed the derailleur and triple front chain ring and went back to stock. One thing I did notice about the brakes is the rear caliper mount is not horizontal so if the wheel is moved back (in my case to make adjustments for the new gearing) the disc would rub on the caliper and I had to use spacers to move the caliper back. But overall we are really enjoying the XP Lite.

I'd love to see a new XP Lite model with a carbon belt drive. It could still be priced below the XP 3.0 and I think most XP Lite fans would be willing to pay more for it. The 300 watt motor in my experience has been quite adequate so I could see staying with that motor, but getting rid of that chain would really make it even more maintenance free. I know the new Lectric ONE is the newest magic that Lectric has come out with, but in my world the next best thing is NO gears at all in a super nimble, light weight XP Lite frame.

Back