New Vado 5.0 IGH in stock? My LBS's say go for it, they can't get 'em

I'm guessing this is only for those customers who bypassed the LBS to begin with and had the bike shipped directly to the customer. That is why the customer should already have the box. So far, the direct to ship doesn't seem to apply for ebikes tho.

This is a good video for those people who receive a bike directly from Spesh and may be hrs away from an LBS. Watching the video I did pick up that it is possible that enabling the clutch with the wheel removed may keep tension on the chain - will have to try that out the next time I remove the rear wheel.
My bad, being I was only looking at e-bikes, I didn't see the home delivery option...makes sense now :D

I'm guessing this is only for those customers who bypassed the LBS to begin with and had the bike shipped directly to the customer. That is why the customer should already have the box. So far, the direct to ship doesn't seem to apply for ebikes tho.

This is a good video for those people who receive a bike directly from Spesh and may be hrs away from an LBS. Watching the video I did pick up that it is possible that enabling the clutch with the wheel removed may keep tension on the chain - will have to try that out the next time I remove the rear wheel.
From what I am told, e-bikes cannot be shipped direct to consumers, they must go to the LBS to "setup", etc. THat's what I've been told.

Guys, let me tell you a story.

Fancy you are a citizen of Norway, one of the wealthiest world countries (per capita), a mountain country with a plethora of Specialized stores (especially in and around the capital city). The population is just 5.4 million. Additional information: the Norwegian consumer law requires the warranty should be good for 5 years (it does not apply to the natural wear of items such as batteries).

Now, you are in the position you want to buy a Vado 4.0 in size XL. And you wouldn't get it. Why? Because the online sales model was not adopted by Specialized in Norway. Yes, you can talk to a good Specialized store in Oslo and order the e-bike. Then wait for months.

The online sales model: Bad?

Changes to sales/distribution models will typically impact different people in different ways depending on various factors specific to their situation/location.

So - bad for some, good for some, and perhaps a wash for some others.
I have not seen so many Specialized e-bike users since the beginning of the pandemics as it is now, with the new online sales model.

I have not seen so many Specialized e-bike users since the beginning of the pandemics as it is now, with the new online sales model.

Difficult to say how much is due to the sales model and how much is due to increased supply chain output.

What I do know is that my preferred SBD dealer, which in December could forecast that I might see an ordered 2022 Vado SL in March, is now unable to place any customer orders and just "gets whats they get". Another shop I called recently told me they will not take any SBC orders due to inability to give any guidance as to delivery.

Per SBC website the nearest in-store Vado 5.0 in M is ~450km distant, and the next nearest is 890km distant. Neither in my preferred color. There are also none in my size available on the SBC website regardless of color.

Does online ordering make the bikes more available to customers or does the production allocation to online orders tend to push dealership customers to other brands? Tough to say.

I do know there's an Allant+ 7S in my size in stock 63km distant, and three more within 240km. Too bad Bosch is such a closed system and not what I want to go with.

It shall be interesting to see how this unfolds going forward.

I just had an interesting discussion with my local guy who's an "Authorized" Specialized and Giant dealer.
He told me the true way this thing is being forced onto the little guy "Authorized" dealer.

Specialized business practice:
I go online, buy the product, pay for it using my credit card, he only gets a minimal set up fee that's payable to him... net 30 days.

Giant business practice:
I go online, buy the product, pay for it using my credit card, he gets full profit...as if it was his allocated inventory that's payable
upon the customer picking the unit up from the store, cash in his account within an hour.

Not sure if this is how the BIG Specialized stores operate if I were to buy online and it ships to them.

I can see why the little guy could care less about my Specialized purchase now :mad:

Here in Canada, my local dealer doesn't have any stock of the Vado 5.0 (in any version), and also can't order any version from the website. Super frustrating!
Exactly.
Specialized wants the consumer to look, search, and find their bike via their site. A LBS might assist (I'd believe) but for the most part, they have no magic access. Actually, the consumer has better access to search and locate, as my LBS had no access to anything and I just kept hitting and searching. The LBS manager said since being acquired by the parent company they got raises, and better benefits and they don't have a floor plan to carry financing on. How that lends itself to who actually owns the inventory is the question. If a company LBS has any stock, then it's the mothership that carries the burden (one might think so in logic), but nobody is telling the story.
All I know is that they did not fulfill my needs (local inventory), I found it on the site 3 times now (3 different times/bikes), and they have what they have (the LBS) as leftover/current inventory. If the independent gets acquired by the parent, the parent then owns the business, lock stock, and barrel, much like a franchise. I'm also told that say in 6 months if Specialized has any product that is not selling or is slow to move, they then make it available to the LBS to use for filling their floor plan. I have no clue as to how this will play out in time but it obviously is some master plan like the way Dyson initially marketed their products.
I had given my opinions in other posts and have no knowledge other than what has been experienced or what was shared with me. Not even sure if the LBS even understands the new sales model process.
However, I'm sure in time we will all find out

Guys, I cannot resist to say: How sad your life seems to be in the United States of America :)

Exactly.
Specialized wants the consumer to look, search, and find their bike via their site. A LBS might assist (I'd believe) but for the most part, they have no magic access. Actually, the consumer has better access to search and locate, as my LBS had no access to anything and I just kept hitting and searching. The LBS manager said since being acquired by the parent company they got raises, and better benefits and they don't have a floor plan to carry financing on. How that lends itself to who actually owns the inventory is the question. If a company LBS has any stock, then it's the mothership that carries the burden (one might think so in logic), but nobody is telling the story.
All I know is that they did not fulfill my needs (local inventory), I found it on the site 3 times now (3 different times/bikes), and they have what they have (the LBS) as leftover/current inventory. If the independent gets acquired by the parent, the parent then owns the business, lock stock, and barrel, much like a franchise. I'm also told that say in 6 months if Specialized has any product that is not selling or is slow to move, they then make it available to the LBS to use for filling their floor plan. I have no clue as to how this will play out in time but it obviously is some master plan like the way Dyson initially marketed their products.
I had given my opinions in other posts and have no knowledge other than what has been experienced or what was shared with me. Not even sure if the LBS even understands the new sales model process.
However, I'm sure in time we will all find out
But in Canada, it's not even possible for me to order from the website... There is literally nothing available from dealers OR website.

I just had an interesting discussion with my local guy who's an "Authorized" Specialized and Giant dealer.
He told me the true way this thing is being forced onto the little guy "Authorized" dealer.

Specialized business practice:
I go online, buy the product, pay for it using my credit card, he only gets a minimal set up fee that's payable to him... net 30 days

according to numerous online industry reports/releases and the two local LBS i frequent, the "minimal set up fee" is actually 50% the normal commission. for a bike they expended zero inventory dollars to purchase on the hopes someone would buy it, made floor space available for, etc etc. i'm sure some shops will see that 50% as too little and others will think, "wow, that's a lot of money for a sale i did literally NOTHING to make happen..."

from bikeradar (and a zillion others sources):

However, dealers will receive from 50 per cent to 75 per cent of Specialized’s margin if they are involved in stocking or assembling a bike, it has been reported.

Here in Canada, my local dealer doesn't have any stock of the Vado 5.0 (in any version), and also can't order any version from the website. Super frustrating!
I'm in the same boat, there are no Vado 3.0 IGH instock at any LBS in my area. Only one has a listing of it on their website and they told me they won't be getting any this year from Specialized. The Canadian Specialized website is barren of any ebikes since first started checking back in March. The US site has a few instock here and there

Here in the UK I ordered mine online, from the Specialized site on a Sunday evening, the following Thursday morning it was ready to be picked up from a "nearly" local bike shop, 18 miles away. I could have ordered the same bike, Turbo Vado 4.0 SL, same colour and size, from online sites over here, but instead of having a fully built bike, I would have needed to put it together, and have the need to get rid of a ton of packaging too. So the way they work now worked for me, and I hope the said Bike Shop made something out of it too.

I live in Charlotte and none of the Specialized dealers had the 5.0 IGH, but the website directed me to a dealer in Pittsburgh...Pro Bike Run. They had it..I traded my Vado 6 in via pro closet and drove 7 hours to pick it up. So glad I did. It's the best e-bike I've owned, (Super73 OG, Yamaha Cross Core, Como 5, Vado 6, and Giant Revolt E+ Pro) now it's the only e-bike I own. I love riding it, I'm 300 miles in and love it. The air shock and seat post are really welcome, make sure you dial those into the rider weight.

Changed to Brooks Cambium Seat and Grips. I swapped the tires to the Serfas Drifters 27.5 x 2.0. Added the XT platform pedals.
I added a Public Transit bag that holds a folding lock and brooks bike tool and my phone.

E00C5C1C-5DD4-40FA-8537-D3A92D73ADA4.jpg

Back