New : Turbo Vado 5.0 IGH Belt Drive

I'll just point to this thread as to why you should take those bike torque specs with a grain of salt.

Ya, I would rather look to the maximum rated mechanical power and the boost factor.

I had some problems getting a bike rack for this. Someone suggested 1UP ones, and those looked like they should do the trick, but didn’t have some features I was wanting. I tried many other models in stores, and the only one that would visibly fit this was the new Kuat Piston Pro X (Very expensive). I talked to the shop that assembled the bike for me, and they said the Kuat NV 2.0 would work (they used that to deliver it to me). I ordered that, but returned it before installing as the instruction manual literally says not to use with bikes with front fenders. The fenders and relatively wide wheelbase made this tough! I just received a Kuat Piston instead (I had seen it work on this rack in the shop - but with the back fender, the rear stabilizer really sticks out, and they recommended the fender strap kit for it (can’t find it anywhere yet). I’ll post after I get the new one installed and try to use it… just know that it would be good to try a rack before buying for this bike!

usually the fender can be pushed against the tire.
If not, sliding a sheet of rubber thick enough underneath should allow to press the arms against it. last you can add some foam to the arms part that comes in contact with the fender if you are at risk of scratches.
You can get an old tire from a bike store and cut a piece of it to do the job

Inserting materials between the fender and tire was indeed what Kuat recommended to me when I called to talk to them (about getting the 20” tire adapter for the NV 2.0). After seeing it called out in the user guide though (warnings in the back on page 18 or 19), against using with fenders, I decided to return it for one that I’d seen work With it. I wasn’t expecting choosing a bike rack to be nearly as complicated as picking a bike! :)

Inserting materials between the fender and tire was indeed what Kuat recommended to me when I called to talk to them (about getting the 20” tire adapter for the NV 2.0). After seeing it called out in the user guide though (warnings in the back on page 18 or 19), against using with fenders, I decided to return it for one that I’d seen work With it. I wasn’t expecting choosing a bike rack to be nearly as complicated as picking a bike! :)
I had the same dilemma as both my Vado and Lisa's Como have fenders. It was my first bike rack and I didn't want to spend a lot on something I wasn't sure how much I would use, so I went cheap and got the Hyperax Volt 2.0. It was around $300 on Amazon and it works great with the bikes clamped securely by arms attached to a center post between the bikes. Is it the best bike rack made? Certainly not. But is it a solid rack that works great without spending a lot of money? Absolutely! Currently we use the rack to transport our bikes over to the coast (Monterey/Pacific Grove/Carmel) and this rack works perfectly for that. However, if we start going farther afield then I could see investing in a nicer rack, but I am very happy with the Hyperax rack and have no regrets about my choice. You don't always have to pay a premium to get good stuff, but you do have to do some homework to understand what is available and what the different features are.

Actually, the fender straps for the Kuat Piston Pro were only good for up to 45 inch wheel base (the XL is close to 48 inches) - I called and talked to them and they essentially told me I shouldn’t use this rack with the bike either (the salesmen at an independent rack place told me it would work, and suggested the fender strap - bike fit, but it was awkward without the fender strap). So… back to 1Up who was called out in this thread earlier - I called and discussed with them, and they said with their fender attachments, they said I’d be fine (and they pulled up the bike on the Specialized website to look). I’ve ordered one of the Super Duty ones (required for the Vado weight), including the fender cushions and some other accessories… hopefully this will be the final and best for fit.

Actually, the fender straps for the Kuat Piston Pro were only good for up to 45 inch wheel base (the XL is close to 48 inches) - I called and talked to them and they essentially told me I shouldn’t use this rack with the bike either (the salesmen at an independent rack place told me it would work, and suggested the fender strap - bike fit, but it was awkward without the fender strap). So… back to 1Up who was called out in this thread earlier - I called and discussed with them, and they said with their fender attachments, they said I’d be fine (and they pulled up the bike on the Specialized website to look). I’ve ordered one of the Super Duty ones (required for the Vado weight), including the fender cushions and some other accessories… hopefully this will be the final and best for fit.
I use a 1Up rack to carry two 2021 Como 5's with fenders. I adjusted the cross bars on one arm so that it still puts secure pressure on the tires, not the fenders. Works great with no problems.

I use a 1Up rack to carry two 2021 Como 5's with fenders. I adjusted the cross bars on one arm so that it still puts secure pressure on the tires, not the fenders. Works great with no problems.
1656532590562.png

I've been doing this for 3 years. I also use a velcro strap around the tire and bracket. I sent a picture to KUAT and they seemed okay with this.

Kuat seemed ok with using foam, etc and putting it on fender - but they aren’t going to cover damage… I didn’t want to bother when they clearly indicated in the manual not to use with fenders (NV 2.0) - and they literally told me not to use the fender straps even for the Piston Pro.

Thanks for showing the 1Up with the Vado 5 - that’s what I’ve ordered now, including the fender rollers and Velcro strips just in case.

Kuat seemed ok with using foam, etc and putting it on fender - but they aren’t going to cover damage… I didn’t want to bother when they clearly indicated in the manual not to use with fenders (NV 2.0) - and they literally told me not to use the fender straps even for the Piston Pro.

Thanks for showing the 1Up with the Vado 5 - that’s what I’ve ordered now, including the fender rollers and Velcro strips just in case.
1up Super Duty works well on my Vado 5.0. I am using the fender cushion on the rear tire, which is not shown in this pic.
View attachment 127664
  • Total carrying capacity of up to 150 lb (50 lb per bike spot)...from the 1Up web site.
  • This would be an issue for me. My 2022 Como 4.0 weighs almost 60 lbs.

You're thinking the Samurai (base version), which is indeed more value for money than the Vado, though its Enviolo is the non-automatic version.
Ravi’s won’t have local bike shop support, which my next bike must have. Too much garbage being shipped to our shores

Back