New : Turbo Vado 5.0 IGH Belt Drive

I would LOVE to have one of these bikes, in a beautiful blue, of course. ;) But I expect will be a couple of years before anything other than the current colors of white, black and red are offered. But, all kidding aside, the reality is this bike costs far more than I am willing to spend, having purchased my Vado 3.0 just 10 months ago. Maybe in a few years I will be able to justify spending this kind of money, but not before. However, my personal belief is that IGH and belt drive are the future of most recreational e-bikes, and that only hard-core bicyclists will continue to want (or need) the additional gear choices available with chains and front and rear derailleurs.

I would LOVE to have one of these bikes, in a beautiful blue, of course. ;) But I expect will be a couple of years before anything other than the current colors of white, black and red are offered. But, all kidding aside, the reality is this bike costs far more than I am willing to spend, having purchased my Vado 3.0 just 10 months ago. Maybe in a few years I will be able to justify spending this kind of money, but not before. However, my personal belief is that IGH and belt drive are the future of most recreational e-bikes, and that only hard-core bicyclists will continue to want (or need) the additional gear choices available with chains and front and rear derailleurs.
i agree. and i really hope they can get the weight of them down! not a concern for recreational cyclists, but as our friends say “mass is the enemy of performance.”

i agree. and i really hope they can get the weight of them down! not a concern for recreational cyclists, but as our friends say “mass is the enemy of performance.”
Vado has been "gentrified" very much. The design is moving more and more in the direction of e-SUV (yes, it is a significant market niche there). I wouldn't expect getting the e-bike weight down. The 710 Wh battery must be heavy. The suspension fork is adding to the weight. Same with wide tyres, and finally the IGH.

The Vado has gone a long way since 2017. It has lost its "sporty" character, turning from a suburban/adventure e-bike into an elegant urban machine. The buyers can be found. Now, it should be easier to attract, say, potential Riese & Muller buyers to the new Vado.

I'm only glad I own a 53 lb, sporty (early) model of Vado. And I intend to maintain it as long as possible.

1645657261546.png

Yes, the Vado has gone a long way since 2017... Did it look heavy?

Last edited:
I'm skeptical of this auto shifting in general and especially as a commuter in traffic .

I'm skeptical of this auto shifting in general and especially as a commuter in traffic .
i have a commuter bike with an automatic shift sturmey-archer IGH, nothing like the fancy rohloffs and enviolos, but it really is perfect for city riding. never need to worry about anything, really. you just pedal. no derailleur to get banged up, no chain to get you all greasy, no shifting to remember before a light etc.

i have a commuter bike with an automatic shift sturmey-archer IGH, nothing like the fancy rohloffs and enviolos, but it really is perfect for city riding. never need to worry about anything, really. you just pedal. no derailleur to get banged up, no chain to get you all greasy, no shifting to remember before a light etc.
So you slow down for a light and stop. It picks up smoothly when you start up again?

It shifts smoothly as you start up a hill and then on hills?

So you slow down for a light and stop. It picks up smoothly when you start up again?

It shifts smoothly as you start up a hill and then on hills?
yes, if you’re in the highest gear, cranking away and then hit a red light you just stop. when you start again, it’s in the lowest gear. as you speed up it up shifts, ditto as you slow down. obviously like most IGH it can shift while stopped.

i try and avoid it shifting while i’m pedaling full force up a steep hill, just as i would with a chain/cog/derailleur system, but it is capable of it. just sounds like something bad is happening inside 😱

There is a more general trend to make SUV e-bikes.
Can you find Trek District+ e-bikes in the U.S. or Canadian TREK website? Because these new e-bikes are now on the European and U.K. TREK websites...

Not that I would be impressed too much. The highest model is equipped with a 500 Wh battery + Intuvia and the price is close to Vado 5.0 IGH with the 710 Wh battery.

I just noticed an IGH Belt Drive version of the Turbo Vado 5.0 on Specialized website .
I think it's using the same drive and hub as Serial 1 CTY/Speed .
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-vado-5-0-igh/p/199872?color=320714-199872
These were announced the same time as the chain drive. It’s just the first time they have been on the website. I preordered mine the day they were announced at my LBS. One for me, one for the wife. They know me well enough there to order both without a deposit so I did.

I will have a chance to see and weigh Vado 5.0 IGH around April 21st.
I should have mine a bit sooner in April if shipping delays don’t fight me. If I do, I can weigh both an XL high step and a Small Mid step.

@Marci jo: Have you ordered yet? They have one in the fasterestest color! :)
No Stefan,
haven't ordered and it's driving me crazy! Really want the step through Como 5.0
I need to test ride first. I'm hesitant on those unusual handlebars. And I've never ridden a bike with Enviolo automatic shifting. Plus, looks like the bike is over 60 pounds (27 kg). Not easy to lift with my wimpy arms. Oh well, I have the n+1 fever really bad, so I'll probably get a red one, the fasterestest!!

And I'm copying your example and giving my existing ebike (the Vado 6.0) to my brother. He has expressed interest. Gotta figure out how to transfer the mission control connection to the new owner. I'll post another thread asking the members when I'm ready to do that.

Winter has a nasty grip on us here in the upper midwest. :(:mad: I'm getting a little crabby.

In case anyone missed it our forum host posted a review and a good youtube video:

In case anyone missed it our forum host posted a review and a good youtube video:

Yeah, I posted about that a couple days ago in another thread. It looks like some info in that review may be incorrect:

Has anyone set up the Enviolo hub yet on the new Vado 5 with automatiqin terms of using the iPhone app?

Back