New Turbo Tero 4.0 owner

mobilejo

Region
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I picked up a Turbo Tero 4.0 EQ step through model a few days ago. My first ever e-bike - I had not even ridden one before this was delivered - so have no e-bike experience to compare it to but I absolutely love this bike. I have a 2014 Specialized Crossroads sport which I still love but rarely ride as I'm surrounded by hills. The Tero flattens all inclines!

Originally wanted the non-step through purely because thats the look of bike I am used to, but I came across a 'shop soiled' step-through in my size (XL) on the UK Specialized dealer's website and it was £600 cheaper than normal, for what appears to be a scratch on the rear mudguard and 5km on the odo. Other than that it was brand new. The discount was too good to pass up and the more I looked at the step through, the more I started to like the look of the swept up top tube. The practicality of being able to step through it is not lost on me either now I've hit 40!

I've removed the rear rack that comes on the EQ models, as this bike is purely for fun and getting out of the house - no commuting and nothing to carry. The rear rack supports the rear fender, so thats also gone as is the powered rear light. I much prefer the back naked. I do like the front fender though so have kept that.

As I lost the rear powered light, I had considered installing another powered rear light in its place but finding one with the correct connector for the Brose, that I also liked was proving difficult. In the end just opted for a rechargeable as there was so much more choice and much cheaper.

I fitted some Specialized Bennies platform pedals, and ditched the cheap plastic ones that came with the bike.

Tomorrow's job will be a fitting a high angle stem as I prefer being a bit more upright and at my height (6'6) my seat is maxed out making the bars feel a bit low.

A few pictures
2024-08-19 15.36.58.jpg
2024-08-19 15.37.17.jpg
2024-08-21 21.50.54.jpg
:

Note that there's routing in the stem clamp for the TCD cables. Dealers often miss that part.
Thankfully on the Tero the TCD cables aren't routed through the stem (you can see them loose out front in my photo), but the TCD mount is attached to the stem.

I've ordered a few Garmin mount solutions to use with the new stem to mount the TCD. I ordered a few so I can try the various options and see what works best.

Thankfully on the Tero the TCD cables aren't routed through the stem
Right, not through the stem, but you'll see there's a gap in the stem clamp to guide them down (and provide strain relief) if you want to use it. I see the Tero 4 pic on their website has the wrong stem clamp! But you can see the routing on the Tero X 6 pics.

I missed the part where you are replacing the stem, though, so it won't matter to you.

Right, not through the stem, but you'll see there's a gap in the stem clamp to guide them down (and provide strain relief) if you want to use it. I see the Tero 4 pic on their website has the wrong stem clamp! But you can see the routing on the Tero X 6 pics.

I missed the part where you are replacing the stem, though, so it won't matter to you.
Oh I see what you mean - I've just looked at the tero x 6.0 pics and can see it.

Thanks for the tip! But yeah I'm changing the stem today anyway.

I wasn't a big fan of the stem I bought - it creaked (cheap Amazon part; I guess its to be expected), it was ugly and losing the OEM mounting for the TCU meant the whole cockpit lost that 'factory integrated'feel.

I was able to achieve the same effect by swapping the bar to a Deity Highside bar with 80mm lift. Much better installation all round as I went back to my factory stem, and the Deity part is quality (if not a little bit loud aethetically 😂)

Shout out to Ben J too for the tip on cable routing through the stem front as that really tidies up the cables.

2024-08-25 17.39.47.jpg

Back