NEW Trek Bikes with the New Motors and Batteries? When, how much?

GuruUno

Bosch just launched their 2020 line up of new and improved motors, batteries, and software! As you can expect the motors are smaller and lighter and there is a higher capacity battery.
When might we see some new bikes from Trek with these items?

Bosch just launched their 2020 line up of new and improved motors, batteries, and software! As you can expect the motors are smaller and lighter and there is a higher capacity battery.

Great question. My humble opinion is 2021 at the earliest. Would be surprised to see any next year, considering the redesign and manufacturing of frames. It will be interesting to see on which models they decide to first implement the new motor & battery. Maybe mountain bike?
Looking forward to to seeing any “official “ info.

I think the big news for Trek 2020 e-bikes will be the replacement for the XM 700+ with NEW motor , battery , and Smartphone Hub , coming in at around 4k instead of 3.5k , due to the tariff .
But this is pure speculation .

Last edited:
I think the big news for Trek 2020 e-bikes will be the replacement for the XM 700+ with NEW motor , battery , and Smartphone Hub , coming in at around 4k instead of 3.5k , due to the tariff .
But this is pure speculation .

That is pretty specific though, there must be some basis to that speculation. Doesn't like sound someone just dreamed it up. Do you have any additional insights?

Trek chat support mentioned a XM 700+ replacement was coming in 2020 but offered no details .

Interesting that no one seems to consider the Super Commuter the XM700 replacement. Why is that? No suspension fork?

Interesting that no one seems to consider the Super Commuter the XM700 replacement. Why is that? No suspension fork?

I've owned a Trek XM700+ since 2016. The stock front single suspension isn't really worth having on there, at least not on the bike paths and roads I ride on. Spent around $300 bucks on Rock Shox front forks.

The Super Commuter 8S came out a year or so after I bought the XM700+. I haven't ridden it. I've always wondered why the move to the wider tires. Do they take the bumpiness out of rides as much as suspension front forks? The SC 8S has 27.5 x 2.4 tires. About the same size as the tires on my Powerfly FS5, which are knobbies. The Powerfly FS5 feels to me appreciably more sluggish on the road than the XM700+ with 700c tires. Would 2.4 road tires not feel as sluggish?

I've also upgraded the seatpost on the XM700+ to a kinect suspension post. Between that and the suspension forks, and an Ergo seat, I feel like I'm riding a Cadillac. At this point I definitely wouldn't trade it in for a SC 8S, which would cost around $1500 more. Would it need the kind of upgrades I put on the XM700+. Not sure. And the SC 8S weighs around 5lbs more.

It'll be interesting to see what improvements they are making to the newer version of the XM700+. I'm sure it's going to have a 500WH battery. (Unless the WHs are going up even higher which would be nice.) My early version came with a 400WH battery. And I doubt they'll put in a suspension seat post. But maybe suspension Rock Shox front forks? If they do an integrated battery I think it would make the bike look better, but if it adds 2 lbs battery weight like the FIB on the Powerfly FS5 then it wouldn't be worth the trouble. I have a spare 500wh battery for the XM700+ and looked into a spare for the Powerfly FS5 but it's too bulky and heavy to carry around in a backpack. I also tend to think they should stay with the 700C tires. And it should have a rear rack and integrated rear light which my version didn't come with. All for under 4k.

My 2016 version can't have the Walk mode enabled. Wonder if it will be enabled on the newer version. Would be nice if it was because walking the almost 50 pound bike with around 10 pounds of stuff in panniers up a curb and around 50 feet or so to a bike rack at work after a 10+ mile commute kind of sucks.

The Super Commuter 8S came out a year or so after I bought the XM700+. I haven't ridden it. I've always wondered why the move to the wider tires. Do they take the bumpiness out of rides as much as suspension front forks? The SC 8S has 27.5 x 2.4 tires. About the same size as the tires on my Powerfly FS5, which are knobbies. The Powerfly FS5 feels to me appreciably more sluggish on the road than the XM700+ with 700c tires. Would 2.4 road tires not feel as sluggish?

Some members here like @Reid and @Asher did some in-depth experimentation about the rolling resistance and how wider tires benefit in general. Have a look at this thread.
https://electricbikereview.com/foru...d-a-new-tire-just-arrived-from-germany.23151/

Yes, having a wider, balloon tire is more beneficial than those skimpy mono-shocks that don't do much. Trek SC 8+ is a fine machine and anyone who has one can attest to the zippiness, lighter front end and nimbleness of the bike.

I'm not a fan of a suspension fork on anything other than a mountain bike. I would prefer a wider tire over a suspension fork. I suspect the sluggishness felt is more related to the knobby tires than the width of the tire.

I'm not a fan of suspension seatposts either. I like a bike like the SC8+ that doesn't have any suspension, but I would probably want a narrower tire on it. For me roughly a 38 mm tire on the SC8+ would suit the type of riding I do.

Some members here like @Reid and @Asher did some in-depth experimentation about the rolling resistance and how wider tires benefit in general. Have a look at this thread.
https://electricbikereview.com/foru...d-a-new-tire-just-arrived-from-germany.23151/

Yes, having a wider, balloon tire is more beneficial than those skimpy mono-shocks that don't do much. Trek SC 8+ is a fine machine and anyone who has one can attest to the zippiness, lighter front end and nimbleness of the bike.

I purchased an SC 8s this spring. I am 72 and a bicycling rookie. The 8s has turned me into a Parnelli Jones on two wheels. Yes, it's heavy but that all goes away once in motion. Agile, powerful and quick with fairly good range. Not knowing much about bikes in general my opinon about the size of tires may be questioned but the large tires are absolutely a necessity. Once you get this baby rolling it handles almost effortlessly and I attribute a good portion of that to the tires. They also give me a sense of security because this is no lightweight freight train rolling down the trail. They grab on turns and under braking they are superb. Porsche-esque would my description of this solid, fast, and exhilarating ride.

Some of new CX motor eMTBs are offering dual battery systems. Use new inframe downtube 630wh with optional 500wh powerpack where bottle holder goes. This maybe path Trek takes.

I purchased an SC 8s this spring. I am 72 and a bicycling rookie. The 8s has turned me into a Parnelli Jones on two wheels. Yes, it's heavy but that all goes away once in motion. Agile, powerful and quick with fairly good range. Not knowing much about bikes in general my opinon about the size of tires may be questioned but the large tires are absolutely a necessity. Once you get this baby rolling it handles almost effortlessly and I attribute a good portion of that to the tires. They also give me a sense of security because this is no lightweight freight train rolling down the trail. They grab on turns and under braking they are superb. Porsche-esque would my description of this solid, fast, and exhilarating ride.

After I took the SC8 for a test ride at my LBS, my sentiments were the same. The ride was very stable and felt like it was their TOTL model. I also rode the SC7 back to back and it could not compare on any level for $1500 less. For starters, the mod I would add is the Redshift ShockStop Suspension Stem.
I would like to see Trek do some upgrades to more recent models.

After I took the SC8 for a test ride at my LBS, my sentiments were the same. The ride was very stable and felt like it was their TOTL model. I also rode the SC7 back to back and it could not compare on any level for $1500 less. For starters, the mod I would add is the Redshift ShockStop Suspension Stem.
I defintiely agree
Bob. I agree. Trek certainly needs to address the 8S harshness. For smooth urban roads it is designed perfectly. However, on country roads which I am surrounded by, the 8S is not fun to ride. Bang Bang Bang.

I defintiely agree

Bob. I agree. Trek certainly needs to address the 8S harshness. For smooth urban roads it is designed perfectly. However, on country roads which I am surrounded by, the 8S is not fun to ride. Bang Bang Bang.

Maybe a suspension seat post might help. My Specialized Vado speed pedelec was the same way. Really nasty on poorly repaired roads. Added a Kinect Body Float and no more bumps. :)

Trek models have 3-year lifecycles

Back